Maldives

The Minertaur

I'm getting married next March and we've been looking into honeymoon ideas.  The Maldives is where we want to go - anybody been before?  Recommendations?  

Must have a water villa.  That's the only thing I need!

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

I'm getting married next March and we've been looking into honeymoon ideas.  The Maldives is where we want to go - anybody been before?  Recommendations?  

Yes

Theres loads of water villas,i stayed at the sheraton http://www.sheratonmaldives.com

ive just recommended it to my nephew who like you is getting married next year,basically the maldives is full of honeymooners so dont expect any action at night its basically couples drinking and shagging :lol:

Went to kuredu for mine the wife's honeymoon in May 2010 we stayed in a ocean view villa, there was water villa's but too expensive for us. Totally relaxing but as doulukefish said night life is a bit quiet. Weather was temperamental as well, pissing down to el scorchio with a blink of an eye.

We went to the Maldives and it's hands down the most beautiful place in the world! Island hoping is pretty amazing. As everyone else has said tho its not an action packed holiday, sunbathing, eating and drinking and that's about it, maybe a bit of water sports if that's your thing.

We landed in Male on the way to Sri Lanka and it was one of the most amazing things I've seen.
Its always been on my to do list but its always quite pricy around the festive season when we go away.

Went to Meedhupparu island and was paradise. As the others say there's f**k all to do, but tan,eat and get blootered. 20 over the water villas on the island, but around two couples using them. I struck a deal with the manager and got 3 of them for 4 nights for £600 for the family, well worth it. Snorkelling was superb btw

On 03/03/2017 at 14:13, The Minertaur said:

I went there on honeymoon, stopping off in Dubai on the way home to break up the fear of returning.  My wife and I have been to a few places on holiday but never the same place twice... but if there's one place we'd go back to in a heartbeat it's the Maldives.  It was the best holiday I've been on by a mile.

We stayed at Athuruga: http://athurugabeach.diamondsresorts.com/eng  Sunset water villa, with complimentary breakfast room service if you cba going to the restaurant, which was me for the whole week. The replenished mini-bar was great for a lazy post-diving afternoon.  That resort doesn't have the wee infinity pools in the villas, but who needs one when your own decking has steps into the house reef. 

Within about 15 mins of checking in to the villa, I was in the water snorkelling, and within a few moments of that I saw a sea turtle munching on coral before it swam right past me. 

Spoiler

12247703_10153679260611221_3495483864493

Unforgettable moment.  Nevermind the reef sharks, eagle rays and then the manta rays that we saw during the course of the week.

The sun wasn't out much in the first couple of days but it was still roasting.  There was an overnight storm on the first night, other than that the weather was great.

If you're even remotely interested in water sports, it's a great place to go.  If you're keen on sampling scuba diving there isn't a better place in the world to try it out IMO.

I break out in a big cheesy smile anytime I get asked about the honeymoon.  I couldn't recommend it enough.  But it's pricey.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 8/10/2017 at 16:16, The Minertaur said:

I forgot I even started this thread :lol: Thanks for the advice guys. Fairly sure that we'll be booking it shortly.

Meant to say that I'm booked into Kuramathi in a few weeks time.  Absolutely buzzing for it - have never had a holiday where there is literally nothing to do with my feet up.

Was all excited to see what beers they have on the Island....checked a restaurant menu and seen that they have Carlsberg & San Miguel :lol:

5 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Meant to say that I'm booked into Kuramathi in a few weeks time.  Absolutely buzzing for it - have never had a holiday where there is literally nothing to do with my feet up.

Was all excited to see what beers they have on the Island....checked a restaurant menu and seen that they have Carlsberg & San Miguel :lol:

My wife had on one of those TOWIE spinoff programmes the other night, which had a lot of footage from Kuramathi.  The place looks pretty amazing!

You could walk the circumference of the island I was at in about five minutes, Kuramathi is a lot bigger with some proper forest and more wildlife.

Enjoy, I'd go there again in a heartbeat.

17 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

My wife had on one of those TOWIE spinoff programmes the other night, which had a lot of footage from Kuramathi.  The place looks pretty amazing!

You could walk the circumference of the island I was at in about five minutes, Kuramathi is a lot bigger with some proper forest and more wildlife.

Enjoy, I'd go there again in a heartbeat.

Yeah some Mummy Diaries crap.  We saw an advert for it on Sky so actuallywatched it yesterday on catch up.  I feel sorry for any husbands out there who have to sit and watch that every week :P

Horrendously annoying people on the show aside the island looks incredible and they had footage of the water villa type that we'll be staying in. Looks simply amazing.

On 12/04/2018 at 10:27, The Minertaur said:

Feel free to ignore this if you don’t want to say, but how much are you paying per night? 

Really want to try out the Maldives but not sure what I should be expecting to pay for a water villa in a decent resort.

17 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Feel free to ignore this if you don’t want to say, but how much are you paying per night? 

Really want to try out the Maldives but not sure what I should be expecting to pay for a water villa in a decent resort.

Will PM you.

This page has given me a craving for visiting this place! I see it looks pricey but at the same time it looks like there is nothing to do so surely spending money isn't a whole lot? I like to take £1000 with me wherever I go so what of that I wouldn't need would go towards the cost of getting there.

Archived