Pars v Doonhamers

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hawk said:

pars,

The state of the pitch brought us down to their level. I had to laugh when Dell was running in towards the box and just seemed to trip over a divot and fell flat on his face. Both had periods where we had the better of the game but overall we shaded it. I never thought we were in danger of losing the match.

Higginbottom> dangerous and got subbed.

MacMallun> dangerous and got subbed.

Moffat> scored looked ok and got subbed.

Clark > totally anonymous got the full 90mins. No surprise that when he comes up against a half decent full time centre half he goes AWOL.

You should be grateful there are part time teams in the league which will give you a chance of survival, although I think they probably have a better record against full time teams.

I hope Chris Higgins has returned Nicky, sure you'll want him for Saturday.

ps King Edwards are not a bad strain of tatties!!!

Clark did well for them and did miles more than Moffat albeit the latter scored the goal. Thought McMullan looked dangerous at times too, as did Cardle once he came on. Higginbotham was far too busy pointlessly trying to pick a fight with Lyndon to do anything especially useful in an attacking sense.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Mmm. Only one team trying to play football last night and it wasn`t us.

Think that's harsh. I'm not sure how obvious it was from behind the goal but the pitch was dreadful and largely prevented players from trying to run with the ball. Both teams had the same issue. As Hawk says, Lyle lost control on a break late on because it bounced up off a divot. It happened several times to Dom Thomas when he tried to run with the ball and also to both Nicky Clark and Joe Cardle. That the teams resorted to keeping the ball in the air a lot surprised nobody.

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Unfortunately, as our home performances largely indicate,  having a 4g pitch doesn't always improve the quality of football. You pay a fortune to lay a carpet which should be good for a passing game then proceed to thump every clearance, goal-kick, etc, as high and far as possible.

We kicked far too much high ball against Falkirk on Saturday. No idea why because it was having no positive effect at all. I guess when things aren't going well on the pitch there is a tendency to kick the ball further and higher. We did something similar second half against Rovers, which was even more bizarre given we were comfortably on top before we started doing it. For whatever reason there appears to have been a deliberate tactic all season from all three managers to have Lee kick long to the touchlines for Lyndon / Grant Anderson when he was here. Otherwise I don't think kicking long high balls like we did last night is usual tactics.

13 minutes ago, adundeemonkey said:

CLb sadly have no intention to install a 4G pitch. I brought this up at a supporters meeting and was first told that there were already too many of these pitches in the area so wouldn't get funding, but then they admitted it was because football should be played on grass. This was Garmory who said this, but i have heard nothing that leads me to believe this has changed. Even though i think it is something we should be pursuing

Ah - knew I'd seen the idea raised and knocked back. We were superb on artificial surfaces last season - I think we won every single match until we'd wrapped up the title and started dicking about.

25 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Think that's harsh. I'm not sure how obvious it was from behind the goal but the pitch was dreadful and largely prevented players from trying to run with the ball. Both teams had the same issue. As Hawk says, Lyle lost control on a break late on because it bounced up off a divot. It happened several times to Dom Thomas when he tried to run with the ball and also to both Nicky Clark and Joe Cardle. That the teams resorted to keeping the ball in the air a lot surprised nobody.

It probably is a little harsh but to me in their good spells in the match Dunfermline at least tried to pass the ball.

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

For whatever reason there appears to have been a deliberate tactic all season from all three managers to have Lee kick long to the touchlines for Lyndon / Grant Anderson when he was here. Otherwise I don't think kicking long high balls like we did last night is usual tactics.

I have a feeling that you may not get much agreement about the amount of hoofball we persist in playing going by comments of fellow supporters around me at games (and a few on here).  I have said before that the percentage success of goal-kicks/clearances played for our wide men to head on is so small in warrants it practically useless. For three managers to persist in this is not only baffling but foolhardy. I'm sure Anderson picked up a few knocks in his time here trying to head these balls on and either landing awkwardly or caught by his opponent. Even at our kick-offs we lose possession after two passes as the ball is kicked into touch as far up the field as possible. There seems to be a lack of confidence, composure and sometimes ability with our defence that they resort to the long ball thump when they have time to do something more effective. The long hoofball is the lazy option rather than getting the ball down, passing and running.

8 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I have a feeling that you may not get much agreement about the amount of hoofball we persist in playing going by comments of fellow supporters around me at games (and a few on here).  I have said before that the percentage success of goal-kicks/clearances played for our wide men to head on is so small in warrants it practically useless. For three managers to persist in this is not only baffling but foolhardy. I'm sure Anderson picked up a few knocks in his time here trying to head these balls on and either landing awkwardly or caught by his opponent. Even at our kick-offs we lose possession after two passes as the ball is kicked into touch as far up the field as possible. There seems to be a lack of confidence, composure and sometimes ability with our defence that they resort to the long ball thump when they have time to do something more effective. The long hoofball is the lazy option rather than getting the ball down, passing and running.

I don't think prior to the last two and a half games there's been excessive use of the long ball since he managed to change the midfield particularly. Some of our football in both games against Dundee United was excellent, first half v Rovers too and I don't particularly recall kicking the ball long in the wins over Morton or Dumbarton either. Hibs we spent long spells on the back foot anyway.

Like you say though, people will see games differently.

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Mmm. Only one team trying to play football last night and it wasn`t us.

I would agree that Higgins did well against Clark. That said Clark had a fine effort that was inches from winning the game.

I thought you were pretty anonymous when you made your brief cameo appearance at the end ;)

Hmm, who do you support, we were also trying to play football on a dreadful surface?

If you care to check the time of one of my postings it was when I entered the ground and his team were warming up at the far end. Not quite sure how Gav could post and be taking part in his their warm up at the same time. (Goes and puts kettle on and awaits usual comments from usual posters)

27 minutes ago, Fungi said:

Pitch is annoying me, it looked like Leicester's pre-season in the Instagram picture. Not much you can do about it this time of the year though.

No, I don't think it's particularly anyone's fault and the fact there was a game on it Saturday will have meant it had no recovery time either. It's just once a pitch gets chewed up (and yours certainly was in the Hamilton Scottish Cup tie I watched on tv, not sure if it was bad before that?) then it's not going to come back at this time of year. It's not helping your players just as much as it's not helping everyone else's. Guys like Clark, Cardle, Higginbotham are partly neutralised by unsure footing and random bumps and divots. I know there are people saying we've not played much clever football recently anyway but I think it had a huge bearing on how poor the standard of the game was last night.

14 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

That game was hilariously bad. Talbot, Morris & Geggan all total bombscares. Even Higgy too.

All of our chances were headers straight at the keeper. f**k it, a point will do for now. 

Morris was solid last night. Didn't put a foot wrong.

37 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Hmm, who do you support, we were also trying to play football on a dreadful surface?

If you care to check the time of one of my postings it was when I entered the ground and his team were warming up at the far end. Not quite sure how Gav could post and be taking part in his their warm up at the same time. (Goes and puts kettle on and awaits usual comments from usual posters)

Phone in your sock obviously.

Glad the QoS fans weren't best pleased with their keeper timewasting. Draw didn't really do anyone any favours.

Don't really think either team done enough to win this one although a better pitch and I think we would have seen two better teams play attractive football. Massive game on Saturday. Hopefully we play with the same intensity that we did against Dumbarton.

So how bad was this "open goal" Clark missed? Going by last night's commentary it was a sitter but given no one has mentioned on here I'm assuming it wasn't that bad. It clears up my thoughts about the commentators though. They weren't just biased, they were just utter tools.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

So how bad was this "open goal" Clark missed? Going by last night's commentary it was a sitter but given no one has mentioned on here I'm assuming it wasn't that bad. It clears up my thoughts about the commentators though. They weren't just biased, they were just utter tools.

I don't remember Clark missing any open goal?

Archived