Brechin v Alloa

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have evidence that players are more at risk of such an injury on plastic than grass?

Aye, Euan Smith did his acl on it and no other Brechin player has ever been injured on a grass pitch on the club's history.

And, by the way, the earth is flat.

18 minutes ago, printer said:

Aye, Euan Smith did his acl on it and no other Brechin player has ever been injured on a grass pitch on the club's history.

And, by the way, the earth is flat.

I picked out Euan Smith as one topical example as he got his injury on Alloa's pitch. 

Our former sports therapist did a study on the reaction of players muscles  tendons and joints after they started incurring regular and similar injuries after the introduction of plastic pitches . His findings were that the tendons in particular reacted a lot differently on the firmer plastic pitches and didn't absorb the impact as much as a grass pitch. Playing on grass for 2 or 3 weeks then plastic for one and back to grass again played havoc with the tendons meaning joints and muscles weren't getting the protection required. He found these types of injury have become more and more common since the increase of plastic pitches in Scotland. 

For this reason alone I will always be in favour of grass pitches ............as are the majority of our playing squad who have openly stated they wouldn't sign for a club who play on plastic. 

As harsh as I think it would be to drop wee Kev (our best player on Tuesday before he was subbed) usual [emoji4]

Although Kev was outstanding on Tuesday Flanny had to be man of the match the audacious nutmeg on the full back in second half sealed it for me.

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Euan Smith did his cruciate ligaments on the Alloa pitch  when his studs stuck in the surface.  Out for the season or possibly a lot longer as players are never the same after cruciate injuries.   The cancer link is still under investigation .  Possibly too soon to say for definite but we should know better in around 10 years or so when players start showing symptoms . 

So no on both counts. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

So no on both counts. 

There was also this .  It is a brief synopsis based on educated research over a number of years. 

Obviously profit comes before players' personal welfare in the modern game though. 

3 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I picked out Euan Smith as one topical example as he got his injury on Alloa's pitch. 

Our former sports therapist did a study on the reaction of players muscles  tendons and joints after they started incurring regular and similar injuries after the introduction of plastic pitches . His findings were that the tendons in particular reacted a lot differently on the firmer plastic pitches and didn't absorb the impact as much as a grass pitch. Playing on grass for 2 or 3 weeks then plastic for one and back to grass again played havoc with the tendons meaning joints and muscles weren't getting the protection required. He found these types of injury have become more and more common since the increase of plastic pitches in Scotland. 

For this reason alone I will always be in favour of grass pitches ............as are the majority of our playing squad who have openly stated they wouldn't sign for a club who play on plastic. 

46 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Par for the course for most Brechin discussions I'm afraid.

At least they have 'Steve, whose posts are always a really good read.

Brechins pitch is usually bad in the winter months, but Glebe is still one of my favourite away grounds.

A picture here to lift the spirits of the Wasps support before this tricky fixture, the legend in action at the Glebe. More danger of trench foot than doing your cruciate on the basis of this picture, but we will have to wait for the verdict of the former Brechin sports therapist before jumping to any conclusions. 

mackie.jpg.3b3131eed87328f008200f8695b085e2.jpg

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

There was also this .  It is a brief synopsis based on educated research over a number of years. 

Obviously profit comes before players' personal welfare in the modern game though. 

I'm genuinely interested what the brief synopsis was. I have serious doubts that there has been enough research and if there is that bacon doesn't cause more cancer.:whistle

9 minutes ago, Waspie said:

A picture here to lift the spirits of the Wasps support before this tricky fixture, the legend in action at the Glebe. More danger of trench foot than doing your cruciate on the basis of this picture, but we will have to wait for the verdict of the former Brechin sports therapist before jumping to any conclusions. 

mackie.jpg.3b3131eed87328f008200f8695b085e2.jpg

Bow down to the saviour!

Pretty sure we won 3 2 that day as well. Paddy Connelly scored for Brechin and I think John Grant got the winner.

14 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Id be happy with that. He absolutely ran the show the last time we were up at Glebe.

No he did nt he was quiet that day it was yer wee no7 who was excellent that day and if you remember it had chucked it down beforehand and pitch nvr cut up at all so there ..

As for Hedgies comments about cancer get a grip its a horrible disease with devastating consequenses and should nvr be used along the lines you ve used it ....Thats sickenend me .. 

Maybe you were expecting something different, but Goodwin was terrific that day. Pulled the strings, drove our players forward and in complete control of the game for long spells. Probably his best game for us. Certainly was anything but rubbish which appeared to be what the hedge guy was sarcastically implying.

Maybe you were expecting something different, but Goodwin was terrific that day. Pulled the strings, drove our players forward and in complete control of the game for long spells. Probably his best game for us. Certainly was anything but rubbish which appeared to be what the hedge guy was sarcastically implying.

Thats exactly what he was implying.

Funny really when there are other brechin fans commenting about the state of the pitch, yet others are very defensive about it, you just have to look at the picture you put up.

Game in serious doubt.

11 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'm genuinely interested what the brief synopsis was. I have serious doubts that there has been enough research and if there is that bacon doesn't cause more cancer.:whistle

Sadly the gent in question passed away . However his extensive knowledge of how the body works and reacts was widely recognised within all sporting circles . He dedicated his life to helping people recover from all sorts of sporting injuries . He was one of the first to catch on to the link between recurring muscle and tendon injuries and the plastic pitches.  He did however   realise ( and reluctantly accept ) that plastic pitches were on the increase and was constantly trying to implement new training excercises to counter the effects on the players' bodies . 

He is sadly missed in our community for the help , advice and rehabilitation he gave to people from all walks of life and also from the many football clubs who utilised his knowledge.   I only hope there are more as dedicated as he was to this cause who are willing to go the extra mile to helping people. 

As for the cancer link, there is nothing definitely proven yet  but I know research is ongoing. I am sorry if my statement came over as matter of fact  but you can't hide away from these matters. Cancer is a serious issue and if the rubber crumb  is proven to be an issue then the consequences will be huge.  As with many new innovations there are usually drawbacks .  If people blindly ignored the drawbacks then positive  progress won't happen. Plastic pitches have advanced greatly over the years but are still nowhere near the finished article. If the findings help to progress these pitches to grass standard then I for one will welcome them into the game.   Until then I remain a firm sceptic.  

Archived