Brechin v Alloa

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to this but the forecast doesn't look to favourable for Saturday.

How is the pitch?

Was fine on Tuesday all dried out. Ment to rain all day Saturday so we will see how it holds up. Think this will be a pretty good game as long as we play how we did on Tuesday

I would suggest one change from Wednesdays team  I would  bolster physical presence in the central midfield. Bring on Kev as impact sub later in in the game. Rumours are Parry maybe fit as well .

Alloa team
McDowall

Waters

Graham
McKeown

Taggart

Kirkpatrick
Hetherington
Holmes
Flannigan

Mackin
Spence

10 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

We prefer to actually have our games played, not every game postponed.

Jolly good .  However , technically 2 games does not really amount to every game.   Good try though. 

Be good to see that footballing maestro Goodwin again.  Hope he makes an appearance. 

Both very true let's start a campaign to get the SFA to start a program of helping the Lower end of Scottish football to having quality playing surfaces instead of squandering it on the blazer brigade etc. This could be done over a period of time. [emoji57][emoji57][emoji57]

40 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Nor should players be subjected to career threatening injuries on plastic. 

You have evidence that players are more at risk of such an injury on plastic than grass? And indeed evidence of the link with cancer?

This is an old argument but I think everyone agrees that a really good grass surface would be preferable. However, we don't have too many of those all year around in Scotland, particularly in the lower leagues. The best artificial surfaces are now of a high standard and far better than the muddy winter pitches players played on in Scottish football in decades past, and in Brechin in 2017. It's ironic that Brechin fans seem to be particularly prone to complaining about artificial surfaces given the poor quality grass pitch at the Glebe.

Tough game in prospect tomorrow. I wonder will the manager change it around again in the expectation of a physical battle on a heavy pitch. 

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Jolly good .  However , technically 2 games does not really amount to every game.   Good try though. 

Be good to see that footballing maestro Goodwin again.  Hope he makes an appearance. 

Id be happy with that. He absolutely ran the show the last time we were up at Glebe.

2 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

I would suggest one change from Wednesdays team  I would  bolster physical presence in the central midfield. Bring on Kev as impact sub later in in the game. Rumours are Parry maybe fit as well .

Alloa team
McDowall

Waters

Graham
McKeown

Taggart

Kirkpatrick
Hetherington
Holmes
Flannigan

Mackin
Spence

As harsh as I think it would be to drop wee Kev (our best player on Tuesday before he was subbed) I dont think youre far away.

Id have Kev for Mackin but other than that I'd go for yours.

No doubt we'll all be wrong as per usual :)

18 minutes ago, Waspie said:

You have evidence that players are more at risk of such an injury on plastic than grass? And indeed evidence of the link with cancer?

This is an old argument but I think everyone agrees that a really good grass surface would be preferable. However, we don't have too many of those all year around in Scotland, particularly in the lower leagues. The best artificial surfaces are now of a high standard and far better than the muddy winter pitches players played on in Scottish football in decades past, and in Brechin in 2017. It's ironic that Brechin fans seem to be particularly prone to complaining about artificial surfaces given the poor quality grass pitch at the Glebe.

Tough game in prospect tomorrow. I wonder will the manager change it around again in the expectation of a physical battle on a heavy pitch. 

Euan Smith did his cruciate ligaments on the Alloa pitch  when his studs stuck in the surface.  Out for the season or possibly a lot longer as players are never the same after cruciate injuries.   The cancer link is still under investigation .  Possibly too soon to say for definite but we should know better in around 10 years or so when players start showing symptoms . 

Forecast is for pishing rain .  Good stuff !!  

Alloa team

McDowall

Waters

Graham

McKeown

Taggart

Kirkpatrick

Hetherington

Holmes

Flannigan

Mackin

Spence

Much as I'm a fan of Holmer, I didn't imagine he'd ever be singled out as a physical presence.

Archived