Tommy Gemmell

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Shame.

Not a bad goal this.

My two abiding memories of big Tam was rushing home from school to watch that game on the telly , some goal .

The other being when he was player/manager at Dundee and Queens put 6 past them at Palmy in a cup game ( WGS made his senior debut that day I believe )

Big Tam took some ribbing.

RIP

I remember him from a World Cup qualifier against West Germany. One of the Germans clipped his heels and Gemmell just abandoned the ball, chased after the guy and gave him a boot up the arse. Sent off, natch, and we lost the game and went out, but still...

RIP, Big Man.

sad news, remember watching his goal against Milan as a wee boy and of course his time at the Dees.  Used to see him drinking in The Bothy by the old College of Technology.

Tommy of course had a magnificent red card against West Germany after a hacking challenge by Helmut Haller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-xNR9bZuEU&safe=active

(anyone able to embed the youtube link properly?)

A poignant moment and a reminder of how Scottish football has lost status and connection. Not only did Tommy score in two European Cup finals he was absolutely magnificent in our win at Wembley in 1967 ( Jimmy Greaves was a passenger that day). It is striking that he won less than 20 caps while we have highly limited defenders now "earning" 50 +. Thanks for the memories Tommy...

Goodnight and god bless Tommy, lived his latter years not far from me in Dunblane and had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times, not only a footballing legend but a real character and very funny man too.

RIP

images (6).jpg

images (3).jpg

I remembered that 'Phoenix from the Flames' thing but only up to the point where Frank Skinner ran away - I'd forgotten all the rest of it. Tommy was no actor but clearly loved doing the thing.

(And don't Spencer and Baddiel look young!)

Archived