One For The Watching

ICTChris

Scissors are very commonly used in South Korean barbecue restaurants to cut meat on the grill that's been fully or partially cooked. It's really efficient. You couldn't use a sharp knife because there's no board.

Meat scissors. Gid c***s.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, resk said:

Scissors are very commonly used in South Korean barbecue restaurants to cut meat on the grill that's been fully or partially cooked. It's really efficient. You couldn't use a sharp knife because there's no board.

Dog scissors?

8 minutes ago, resk said:

This is true, Yakiniku restaurants.....but you're not getting round this on "cultural adaptation" as there's plenty other aspects of South Korean culinary habit that confirm them as OFTW.

As we're on to the Koreans, do any of the supermarkets here sell a decent kimchi? I've always fancied trying it, but never had the chance. I know it's easy enough to make, but I'd rather know what it's supposed to taste like first.

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

As we're on to the Koreans, do any of the supermarkets here sell a decent kimchi? I've always fancied trying it, but never had the chance. I know it's easy enough to make, but I'd rather know what it's supposed to taste like first.

You can buy jars of kimchi in our local Sainsbury's.  You can also buy 'kimchi paste'. I was seeing a girl in Stockholm for a couple of years (not my ex) who had taught English in Seoul for a while.  She pickled her own kimchi, insisted I had it every time I went 'there' and brought a tub every time she came to Bucks.   I like pickled, tangy vegetables but, really, it's not 'all that'.  I like kimchi as much as I like jars of sliced beetroot.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

You can buy jars of kimchi in our local Sainsbury's.  You can also buy 'kimchi paste'. I was seeing a girl in Stockholm for a couple of years (not my ex) who had taught English in Seoul for a while.  She pickled her own kimchi, insisted I had it every time I went 'there' and brought a tub every time she came to Bucks.   I like pickled, tangy vegetables but, really, it's not 'all that'.  I like kimchi as much as I like jars of sliced beetroot.

It sounds like my kind of thing, and is apparently pretty healthy (which, being primarily vegetables, I'd imagine it would be). The wean's still at the age where veg is about a popular as a crucifix to vampires, but he will happily sit and munch through an entire jar of pickled onions for some reason, so maybe I can stuff some of that down him to counteract all the red meat he loves.

4 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It sounds like my kind of thing, and is apparently pretty healthy (which, being primarily vegetables, I'd imagine it would be). The wean's still at the age where veg is about a popular as a crucifix to vampires, but he will happily sit and munch through an entire jar of pickled onions for some reason, so maybe I can stuff some of that down him to counteract all the red meat he loves.

What age is your boy, Dave?  My three are in their teens and will happily crunch through a jar of pickled veg as a snack.  They also have two parents who'd rather eat soused herring than a fish supper.

My girlfriend cuts pizza with scissors, we don't have one of the pizza roller things so it must be the easiest option. She sometimes cuts up bits of meat with scissors though, another habit she has picked up from her stupid mother.

I wouldn't have thought your girlfriend bothers with cutting or chewing.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

What age is your boy, Dave?  My three are in their teens and will happily crunch through a jar of pickled veg as a snack.  They also have two parents who'd rather eat soused herring than a fish supper.

He's eleven next month, and has hated vegetables for as long as he's been able to voice discontent. Likes fruit, at least. He takes after his mother's side with that, as most on my side are big on veg, while she has several family members who will eat red meat and nothing else. Think it must be an American Southwest thing - run the steer by the table and hack off a hunk. Her father found it deeply suspicious that I ate pasta  :lol:

Never mind; no doubt he'll experiment more as he gets older. He's just discovered mushrooms, so he's ahead of me at that age in some things.

I'm told that no commercially made kimchi comes close to the real thing. Kimchi from a jar is to a Korean as tinned haggis is to a a Scot.

Apparently, unless it's been made by someone's grandmother, you're better off not bothering. Do you know any Koreans personally?

2 hours ago, sjc said:

Kimchi/Pickling over here in Asia isn't a patch on our pickled beetroot/cabbage/gerkin back home in my opinion. 

Each to their own, but Kimchi is noticably better than what you've listed. 

Also could you please better define what "over here in Asia" means?

He stay is Japan, so I believe he means there.

In Thailand they have Kimchi Pad Thai, never had, not to keen on Pad Thai to start with...we have other food to pickle, most commonly fish.

13 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

He stay is Japan, so I believe he means there.

In Thailand they have Kimchi Pad Thai, never had, not to keen on Pad Thai to start with...we have other food to pickle, most commonly fish.

I know he lives in Japan, just being contrary since the original post was somewhat pretentious! 

10 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I'm told that no commercially made kimchi comes close to the real thing. Kimchi from a jar is to a Korean as tinned haggis is to a a Scot.

Apparently, unless it's been made by someone's grandmother, you're better off not bothering. Do you know any Koreans personally?

We're not exactly over-endowed with Koreans in Alloa. Might start hanging around the bus station in Stirling in case any elderly Korean ladies look lonely.

f**k it, I'm on The List anyway.

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

Yes, I imagine you'd need to go to Tillicoultry for that kind of exoticism.

Clearly you've got your finger on the pulse with regard to the over-endowed in Clackmannanshire.

5 hours ago, German Jag said:

I know he lives in Japan, just being contrary since the original post was somewhat pretentious! 

What was pretentious about it? 

Archived