Alloa v East Fife

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was lovely tonight. Taken a while, but it seems to be coming together for Jim Goodwin at last. Great value on the touchline too; polar opposite to Barry Smith's silent, measured approach.

Felt for the Fifers, dragging yourselves out on a freezing Tuesday night for that. Hopefully you had a nice evening in our hostelries beforehand, and good luck for (most of) the rest of the season.

Most consistent 90 minutes under JG played some brilliant football tonight. Flanny was constantly wanting the ball and moving into space unplayable tonight . Glad to see longworth get a goal. Three going on seven if it wasn't for some good saves from goodfellow. Big selection issues for Saturday with no failures tonight including all the substitutes stating a claim

Can't really complain. We started quite well but Alloa scored with their first look at goal and apart from a couple of brief spells we never threatened to change the game.

Someone said we started with seven players under twenty and the lack of experience proved too much. Not too disappointed as there were several promising individual performances but we needed Alloa to have a bit of an off night and they didn't.

Cracking performance. East Fife dominated the first ten minutes, moving the ball about at pace, and then up steps Greig Spence at the back post to nod in a typical striker's goal in our first attack.

We gradually stepped up the pace, with Steven Hetherington imposing himself physically in centre midfield, until Kevin Cawley scored one of his specials with a driving run at the centre of the Fifers defence and cracking shot into the corner.

I thought East Fife didn't deserve to be 2-0 down at half-time, but second half we dominated. Great to see Jamie Longworth get a goal as he has had to be patient and to me still looks as good an option as Mackin.

No Alloa failures. Best game I've seen McKeown have, big Andy was a leader again, Waters excellent. Great to have Flanny back in the side. Special mention for McDowall and Hetherington for me. The former had another very solid game while Stevie was my MotM.

As has been mentioned Jim's problem for Saturday will be who to leave out. Either way nine points from three tough games has given us a good cushion, especially as all teams have been dropping points in such a competitive league.

Scored at the right times after soaking up a bit of early pressure. Cawleys low drive was a bit special.

Alloa completely in control of the second half. Real quality in the middle of the park. Held a good line to stifle and burst forward in some really good spells. Great to have Flannigan back in the starting lineup- just that little bit extra patience, quality and composure that can make a real difference.

Agreed with the manager giving Holmes a rest, and his replacement Hetherington was brilliant- probably man of the match as most people seemed to think. However, I did think Cawley was best player on the pitch until he was subbed- I completely understood what the manager was trying to do as the game wore on, but was surprised Cawley was the one to make way.

Looking good right now. We have momentum, players on form and no real injury problems. Few more wins will guarantee play-offs. 

Take nothing away from Alloa as good a footballing performance as I've seen from any team in the league this season. Our small squad was always going to cost us at some point.No team in this league could afford to be without5 or 6 key players like we were missing last night. I think the manager looked at that game last night and decided to take the hit and not risk anyone who was struggling with little niggles,to allow them to make sure they would make Satirday. From our point of view as in recent weeks defending just not good enough too easy to get cross in at first goal,then to leave the only striker in the box a free header is criminal. Could have been a few more for Alloa only some brilliant goalkeeping from Goodfellow kept the score down. Good experience and game time for all the young lads who got game time last night,they will benefit from that.Thought Alloa number 7 was outstanding and ran the show. Three times we've been to Recreation park this season and been comprehensively beaten .

Yeh, I think Alloa are the best team we have come up against in this league. Our streak of not losing had to come to an end sometime and I for one am glad it was to a good side and not a team below us. Agreed that the manager played a damage limitation team so as not to aggravate any injuries. As long as we get back to winning on Saturday and first and foremost consolidate our position in this league.

6 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

As many have said already special mention for stevie hetherington, played really well and every game since he has returned from injury.

It's good to see Hetherington doing well. I think he was widely regarded as a squad player when Barry Smith brought him in during the summer of 2014. He didn't do too much that season apart from provide that wonderful pass for Spence for the winner against Rangers. And if he didn't do anything else for us ever again it would still have been enough to make him a legend :thumsup2.

I was little surprised - and to be honest underwhelmed - when he was retained the following summer, and by all accounts he was almost gone during the first transfer window under Jack Ross. Having stayed he really kicked on under Ross after getting his chance and finished the season very well. Injury could have set him back this season but he seems to have come back in and picked up where he left off. Believe that was his 50th appearance on Tuesday and great to mark it with a motm award. Bit of a slowburner but he has proved his worth. Let's hope he can stay fit and continue this form.

Archived