Junior Football Attendances

Gartcairn Army

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In recent years I think that Arthurlies home support and away doesnt differ greatly, its week in week out supporters at most games and no more of the home only brigade, well not as many. I recall years ago the older supporters used to have season tickets at Arthurlie and Neilston and would go to the local games, sadly they are no longer able to attend due to various reasons mainly the fact they are no longer with us.

1 hour ago, ftk said:

I always thought Auchinleck Talbot get the biggest crowd in the juniors but could be wrong?

They travel very well, always a few hundred at away games. Home gates on average will be below Lok. Perhaps Lok benefit from bigger travelling supports but league games especially seem to fall in the 500-700 bracket. There have been 3 1000+ gates this season, twice v talbot and once v Arthurlie.

Lok always record terrible gates (compared to later in season) in the opening Sectional cup. This year's swing is from 200 v St Anthony's to 1256 v Talbot. The league swing is 450 v Hurlford to 1020 v Arthurlie. Average in league 685 and league/cup 647.

Pollok are by far the best-supported of the Glasgow teams; I've always thought of them as almost being the Southside's Partick Thistle - a localish alternative to punters who can't be bothered with the baggage that comes with being an OF supporter.

The rest of the Glasgow teams' support are a lot less for varying reasons..North Glasgow has probably suffered the most of any area of the city from post-industrial depopulation, which is reflected in the crowds of Petershill, Ashfield and the Shire these days. The East End sides have suffered in that respect to an extent as well. The Roch seem to be bucking the trend by emphasising the Celtic links to their club at the moment, and while I'm not 100% convinced about aligning yourself with another club so closely, it certainly seems to be working for them at the moment crowd-wise.

Maryhill's problem is the transience of the local population - we've got the whole West End for a catchment area, but a lot of people live, work and study there for a period of time then move on without putting down roots to the point where they'll start following the local football club. Reaching out to the wider West End and not just G20 as perhaps has been the case in the past is something we're attempting to rectify at the moment

You get what you get.
Most Junior sides historically retain a 'core' support that varies little home or away.
Exact numbers will always be somewhat subject to the mine is bigger than yours bias. Those numbers will range between a dozen or two hardy souls and a few dugs at some lower league games to between 100 and 300 at top league games. Exceptions will always be seen in cup ties and local derbies and increases following success.
In the west the size of the local population is harder to assess. 'Big' sides like Pollok with little competition comparatively seem to do well while others like Irvine Meadow (& Vics) in a big catchment fare poorly. Most other sides have relatively near neighbours and are limited to what they can attract.
Auchinleck are a bit different where they have retained support from the big Kilmarnock area eastwards following success, perhaps due to Kilmarnock (Hurlford apart) not having a Junior side. Whitletts as the only Junior side in Ayr should also arguably attract more but somehow don't.
Attendances are what they are and long may Juniors sides survive to give more years of value for money entertainment.

Somebody better informed (@Tynieness) might be able to give more accurate figures, but in recent seasons I'd guess Bo'ness to get in the region of 300-400 week-in week out, including smaller away supports. For bigger games/oppositions I'd imagine we get anywhere between 600-800, but it's been known to be up well over 1000+ in the Junior Cup and when we've played in the big Scottish.

Always take a decent amount of supporters to away games too. And it's always amusing when we play Linlithgow up at their place and outnumber them around 4/1. Though I suspect that'll be nearer 6/1 this season![emoji16]

12 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Are you thinking of jumping ship already?

Not at all mate lol just don't understand why we have a lowland league. Why did these clubs not just join the juniors. I thought it was maybe crowds or facilities but I see some clubs don't even have their own ground in the lowland league. I assume now that it's because they have the pathway to league 2. 

14 hours ago, stevie the bookie said:

Don't know what planet your on but Arthurlie don't average between 200 n 500 ! Be lucky if there's even 150 at home game. In fact I think it's under 100

The  guy megaspinneret needs to brush up on his counting.  He is only kidding himself on. 

The crowds we get at the Albert are very poor sometimes not enough to cover the cost of the referee.

Various reasons for this we are not playing in Larkhall anymore the early kick offs for sky games which has had a major effect as once people are in the pub or clubs watching the game they wont leave there and come and watch the juniors.

Pollok are sitting with a mostly middle class catchment area of about 100,000 punters.

Compare that to many areas in the Glasgow area that saw the local population collapse.

Any junior team that gets upwards of a 100 is doing well.

Not at all mate lol just don't understand why we have a lowland league. Why did these clubs not just join the juniors. I thought it was maybe crowds or facilities but I see some clubs don't even have their own ground in the lowland league. I assume now that it's because they have the pathway to league 2. 

We have a Lowland League to stop the SPFL being a closed shop. The Lowland League sides joined the Lowland League and Senior football because it is a better standard to the juniors.

Archived