Thoughts with Billy McNeill

It seems the Celtic legend is suffering from Alzheimers.

For anyone who lives in Newton Mearns and saw him regularly up at the Cross or at the Post Office at Crookfur shops, this sad news probably wont be much of a surprise as over the last couple of years he has deteriorated into a shell of the man many know him as.

A legend of the Scottish game.

Just after his Champions League draw appearance a few seasons back, which was pretty tough watching him struggle in such a manner, I'd heard he was ill but wasn't aware of just how severe of an illness.  Such a horrible thing for anyone to go through.  My thoughts are with him and his family. 

26 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

Just after his Champions League draw appearance a few seasons back, which was pretty tough watching him struggle in such a manner, I'd heard he was ill but wasn't aware of just how severe of an illness.  Such a horrible thing for anyone to go through.  My thoughts are with him and his family. 

I was thinking the same thing made for uncomfortable viewing watching our greatest ever captain and a great man looking an absolute shadow of his former self. Hail Cesar a true great.

A great player and as a man a true gent who had bags of time for supporters.....not like the big time charlies that play just now that have little time for supporters. Sad seeing him looking so frail. Thoughts with Caesar and his family.

I was lucky enough to have met the great man whilst working in a shop on Argyle St Glasgow. Oozed class and dignity when speaking to the fans and a great laugh too.

Tragic illness and I know how it feels to lose someone to dementia, my mum recently passed away and was a truly horrific illness to watch someone you love slowly disappear in front of you.

Hope the treatments he receives gives months or even years of lucidity amongst loved ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived