Queen of the South v Falkirk

Drove down from the capital, listening to a bit of Man U and Bournemouth. Heard that Mings had stood on Ibrahimovitch's head. The latter then elbowed the guy in the face but the ref missed it.

We saw a shortened version of that today. Dowie is a very lucky guy. Having been shoved off the ball - unfairly in his view - a red mist descended and he managed not to jump over Austin's head a moment later.

As others have said, Falkirk totally deserved their win today, although I thought the two goals were shockers from our point of view. Foul on edge of box - er no. Robinson does it again. He did it at Falkirk and now has repeated the trick here. Straight shot into bottom corner of the side heis meant to be protecting. Did he move? Of course not. Shambles 1. Shambles 2 - clear pen from 100yds away.

As always, the winning side can make the losers worse than they are. Certainly happened today. We were second to just about everything and we spent a fair bit of the game hoofing the ball long, fairly randomly because players were under pressure. When Falkirk attacked, I could see pattern and purpose. 

I don't have a problem with the substitutions - although I can't figure out yet what Dykes does.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge disappointment today.  We were bullied - not illegally - and dominated by Falkirk all game.

As others have said, don't know why we persisted with high balls with them being so solid at the back.

The Manager, I think, has to take his share of the blame today. After about 15/20mins there seemed to be a debate raging between the forward players and Dowie in particular about where the play should be going.    The substitution of Dykes for Rankin was very strange.  Rankin was doing his best to hold the midfield together and we were going to be much weaker there without him and allow Falkirk to dominate that area even more.   Dykes adds absolutely nothing whenever he comes on, we are weaker both defensively and offensively with him on the pitch.

Thomson, who can be a very influential player, was virtually anonymous today. When Thomas was moved to the left side he hardly saw the ball again - not sure why that was.

Dobbie and Lyle had nothing to go on all game although Dobbie after being found by Del should have played him back in as he was completely free after continuing his run but 'God ' decided to go for glory, as usual, and the chance was wasted.

Having said all that, it's not over yet but 2 wins are now essential.  The Manager needs to change it for upcoming games.

Falkirk won all the individual battles and comprehensively deserved to win.

Yet another pretty dreadful game on this horrible artificial surface where the ball bounces constantly and invariably ends up in far too many punts skyward. I may be in the minority but in terms of enjoyment give me a half decent grass surface any day. Sad that the economics drive clubs towards these surfaces.It is just not proper football.

We were so bad today it was unbelievable. This team of ours continually fails to perform when the "chips are down" - with the exception of Hibs away in LC - we have comprehensively failed to turn up when the stakes have been higher all season and today was yet another massive letdown.

To be fair our new signings with slight exception of Thomas were totally anonymous and the rest were miles off the pace.

Hope this performance is not a sign of further things to come for remainder of season but I am not confident.

Hard to work out why Queen of the South's season is already over, given their complete reliance on two forwards with a combined age of seventy to bail them out every week. Not the most sustainable strategy over a league campaign IMO.

1428418639-d2436d6c6a8200a35d65ab4efa46a31a-600x397.jpg

Another season of pointless mediocrity for you then: that's a wee shame.

Gavin-Gunning-profile-large-e1473948670792_300x450_acf_cropped.jpg

I'm not sure where all this Falkirk were good or excellent is coming from. I thought both teams were poor and it was niggling match with lots of tugs, pushes, playing the man while not watching the ball, diving and going down injured from both teams. Falkirk deserved their win as they took their chances while we didn't. Apart from chance in first 5mins and one when defender took ball off Dobbie's foot in second half we offered nothing going forward.

In first half Mercer was going to head clear the ball when he got a clear shout (from Falkirk player) to leave it, which he did fro Falkirk player to run in on goal - isn't that a free kick. For the first goal not sure it was a foul as Baird seems to go down every single time but didn't eh ball go through the ball as the wall charged forward

In first half Mercer was going to head clear the ball when he got a clear shout (from Falkirk player) to leave it, which he did fro Falkirk player to run in on goal - isn't that a free kick.

Surely that can't be a free kick, just standard gamesmanship. It's the players fault for not realising who was shouting. What if the shout came from the crowd?

Just now, ilostmyself said:

Surely that can't be a free kick, just standard gamesmanship. It's the players fault for not realising who was shouting. What if the shout came from the crowd?

It's a free, if the ref hears it. Players are taught to "put a name on it", you can't shout " mine" or "leave it". Mind you I was at the side of the pitch and I didn't hear anything. If there was a call, I am not surprised the ref missed it. Like most of our players, he didn't have a great day.

12 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Mr Baird at his best.

2 hours ago, Russ said:

I actually think Sibbald is a lot better in the air than he gets credit for or should be. He fairly regularly wins more than his share of headers in the middle of the park.

That was a cracking run. Turned the right back inside out before ripping apart another couple and a decent ball across the box but Fash was too fucked to keep up with him. Was a really good cameo from McHugh when he came on hopefully it's the start of him being more involved now.

I've just never seen Sibbs be so aggressive in challenging for headers and winning most, a lot of the time he can win a fair share but a lot of the time bossed off winning them, which wasn't seen today.

My only criticism of Kidd today was his non challenge of the consistent high balls to his side from Queens, still had a decent game and strangely linked up well with Sibbald.

If McHugh had a left foot, he'd have scored

It's a free, if the ref hears it. Players are taught to "put a name on it", you can't shout " mine" or "leave it". Mind you I was at the side of the pitch and I didn't hear anything. If there was a call, I am not surprised the ref missed it. Like most of our players, he didn't have a great day.

Fair enough then if that's true. Seems like an impossible rule to ref though.

What if an opposition player screams 'MISS!' when another player is about to shoot in the box? Is that a penalty?

Fair enough then if that's true. Seems like an impossible rule to ref though.

What if an opposition player screams 'MISS!' when another player is about to shoot in the box? Is that a penalty?

Shouting "miss" would have absolutely no bearing on the outcome of a penalty. Shouting "mine" or "leave" at a player going for a ball would absolutely have the potential to alter the outcome as the player could indeed leave the ball.

Totally dominated a Queens side on their own patch. Satisfying stuff.
Loving the bitterness from some Queens fans too. Unlucky lads.

Where are you reading bitterness? :lol:

Comprehensive win.

Austin has come into the team and rag dolled nearly everyone he has played against. The two QOS CH's just could not handle him. He is quick, strong and good in the air. Like a new signing.

Kerr and Taiwo bossed midfield and Sibbald at times was just a class apart today. You can see why Houston was happy for Rankin to go. His legs have gone.

That is our best CB pairing when they both play at their best, I hope Luca's time out of the side will spur him on. Both strolled it.

For QOS the lad Mercer was horrific but I liked the look of the guy Thomson. Is he the Celtic player? Dobbie was non existent thankfully.

Special shout out to our young team. Full of the bevy but they sang for the first minute to the last. I can't believe that doesn't help players do that bit extra.

Shouting "miss" would have absolutely no bearing on the outcome of a penalty. Shouting "mine" or "leave" at a player going for a ball would absolutely have the potential to alter the outcome as the player could indeed leave the ball.

I don't mean the outcome of a penalty more that a penalty could be given purely for a player shouting?

Still, it seems like a dodgy one either way and there must be loads of shouts heard during every match.

Archived