Wrestlemania 33

gallusguy

Appropriate to give Taker that moment at the end.  I'm glad they didn't go down the Shawn Michaels/Ric Flair retirement angle; this was more fitting.  Shame about the botched reversal for Reigns to tombstone Taker as it'd have given the match an extra something over punches and spears, but thank the lord they moved on rather than try it a third time.

Hardy return the obvious stand out, went mad for that.  Well played Kofi for teasing a New Day entrance to the match.  Looks like we're getting Broken Matt, too, thankfully.

Both women's matches seemed short.  Fair enough for Smackdown who just launched everyone into a match, but the Raw women had probably the best match on the card last year.  A bit harsh.

Gutted for Wyatt.  He needed the win, and same goes for Miz.  Was surprised Corbin didn't win the IC belt too, but not bothered about that.

Positives for Rollins, Owens and Lesnar; thought all three matches weren't far off as good as could be hoped for.  So Raw did good, SD not so much.  And on that note, time to sleep.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not a chance that's anything other than his final match.

Roman winning clean in the traditional sense. The passing of the torch/yard. Jim Ross commentating. The match going on last. The symbolism of leaving his gear in the ring.

Think it's a bit harsh to call him a 'broken old man'. He's only 52 fs.

A 52 year old that moves like a 70 year old. He'll now probably go off and uncomfortably live the rest of his days. Hope his hip surgery goes well and makes it slightly easier for him he's needed it for so fucking long. Streak ending should have been when it all stopped. Nobody loves the business more than him though and that's evident in the fact he could never say no to Vinnie Mac. If a job needed doing he'd be there no matter how hard it is for him.

A 52 year old that moves like a 70 year old. He'll now probably go off and uncomfortably live the rest of his days. Hope his hip surgery goes well and makes it slightly easier for him he's needed it for so fucking long. Streak ending should have been when it all stopped. Nobody loves the business more than him though and that's evident in the fact he could never say no to Vinnie Mac. If a job needed doing he'd be there no matter how hard it is for him.

In a wrestling ring he does, thankfully wrestling isn't an every day thing. He's far from being old and whilst he can't perform as a five star athlete anymore, I bet he's in better shape than a lot of 52 year old wrestlers and probably many non-wrestlers too.

I'd agree that it should have ended once the streak stopped as the matches since then haven't been the best, nice touch to see him get to 25 in total and I hope he enjoys riding off into the sunset. Firmly expect to see him next year as the main HoF entrant.

It was an end of an era for a whole host of superstars tonight. Taker obviously the main one but I can't see Goldberg wrestling again. Big Show stated this would probably be his last Mania. Kane has pretty much slinked off into the sunset already rather quietly as he runs for office. Probably JR's last commentary in Wwe tonight as well.

Well after a couple of hours sleep and looking back on what happened it was a tremendous first half of the show. Shane/AJ exceeded expectations, Jericho/Owens was really good and, of course, the broken Hardy's showing up was a real highlight.

Faded towards the end - I suppose most 7 hour shows do - but that dignified end to proceedings made up for things a wee bit.

Proper end of an era stuff. I had already been watching wrestling for a couple of years when Taker made his debut so to see him go is a real watershed moment for me. Have a good retirement Mark!

I was fucking blitzed by the final match so I'll need to watch it again. The first half of the PPV was brilliant and I found myself enjoying the later matches but gutted at the outcomes for Wyatt and Miz.

Proper end of an era stuff. I had already been watching wrestling for a couple of years when Taker made his debut so to see him go is a real watershed moment for me. Have a good retirement Mark!

^^^Basically this.

Never watch WWE these days, lost interest a long time ago, shortly after the Attitude Era when Austin & The Rock called it a day. Found it to be the most unwatchable load of pish anytime I've put it on.

However, probably for the last 10 years or so I've tuned in for the Royal Rumble & Wrestlemania purely for the nostalgia and not wanting to miss the moment when Undertaker finally calls it a day.

Guest bernardblack

That taker match was terrible. He's clearly not fit to wrestle which is a real shame.

I despise the raw after mania crowd so don't even have that to look forward to

For how effective the final scenes were, it just showed how terrible the match before it was.  The sequence when Reigns twice tried to get him up for a Tombstone (I've got a feeling that was going to be the finishing sequence if he'd pulled it off) and failed, and then got a ropebreak (in a no-dq match) while the commentators talked about said rope break and how smart it was, just derailed the match completely.  From there it was just a confused old man who shouldn't have been there getting pummeled by someone who looked like he didn't know whether to really heel it up or do the face sympathy.

To be honest, I'm struggling to remember the majority of the show.  I don't think it was the worst Wrestlemania (and certainly not as odd as last year) but far, far from the best.  Although opinions do seem mixed on that.  Every match seemed to just have a few minutes shaved off.  Some were worse than others, but if you're already trying to claw time back by the halfway point, you've probably booked too many matches.  One more on the pre-show might have helped things, but it wasn't like one of those shows where you can easily see where matches went long.  Did anyone else notice any that might have?  Looked to me like they just tried to do too much.  Given I watched NXT right before the pre-show, I was watching it from 730 right through to 515. If you're going to keep people interested for that long, you've got to do better than they did last night.

Not sure what to make of that, to be honest. Seven hours of wrestling is just too much to take in and I can't really remember what went on in some of the matches, especially towards the end.

The return of the Hardys was the night's unalloyed high point and I'll admit to jumping and marking out when their music hit. Jeff Hardy's senton from the big ladder was absolutely wild. The pair have given Raw's tag-team division a much-needed shot in the arm as it's been pretty moribund since the brand split. AJ Styles managed to coax a decent match from Shane McMahon; the Miz was in tremendous form (even if his match was a bit of a dud); and I liked the weird carrion/worms/maggots that were projected onto the ring during the Wyatt-Orton fight.

The rest was so-so. It was disappointing to see both women's matches come and go with little fanfare, but I suppose that had as much to do with the poor build-up than anything else, especially on Raw. The feud between Brock Lesnar and Bill Goldberg was just a big waste of everyone's time - as someone above me pointed out, the latter has fought for less than 10 minutes since returning to WWE and, for me at least, has made zero impact. I have little stomach seeing Randy Orton as a champion again; the mixed tag-team match was weird and, like a lot of the matches, seemed like it was missing a couple of steps before its sudden finish; and Roman Reigns-Undertaker was pretty rubbish. I'll admit to falling in and out of sleep during it so I missed some of the botches but the Undertaker didn't look great. The match didn't really matter either - he should never have lost his streak three years ago.

Definitely not a class WrestleMania but it was better than last year, although that really isn't saying much.

Not a bad mania. Went downhill after the Hardys though.

With Orton winning it just makes me think they're building it up for a Cena vs Orton super champion battle. Orton now on 13 with cena on 16, Orton to pick up 3 more title victories by either next mania or the one after and it'll be Cena v Orton and whoever wins gets title 17 and beats Flair's record.

1 hour ago, Killiesquirrel said:

Aye not much just a bit on his elbow after he got speared through the barricade.

That changes everything on the predictor I was doing amongst friends, meaning the guy that doesn't like wrestling that picked purely based on how attractive each wrestler was will lose.  Wonderful.

33 minutes ago, Killiesquirrel said:

Not sure if being whooshed but he was bleeding..

Was he?  I didn't see any.  I sit corrected.

Archived