Email etiquette at work.

TheScarf

I get the "it keeps a record" point but you can send an email and have a wee chat with the guy who's sitting next to you. "I just sent you an email - can you take a look and respond?" Pretty simple and professional.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Starting a sentence with "Please ensure" in an email is guaranteed to instantly provoke the recipient into a hostile reply. Rightly so.

In my experience, emails containing those words usually relate to some secret milk thief.

42 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I went full Ruggy on a reply today. No greeting, no sign off, just the word "No".

It felt wonderful.

Except that you woke up the next day with a sore head and realized it should have been "Yes"

The ultimate work email crime is of course the CC Snake. Let me demonstrate for anyone fortunate enough not to have been subjected to such evil.

Email 1
To: Them

-----

Re: Email 2
To: Me

----

Re: Email 3

----

Re: Email 4 - containing information that I've in some way fucked up
CC: The boss

wee-bey-gif.gif

9 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

The ultimate work email crime is of course the CC Snake. Let me demonstrate for anyone fortunate enough not to have been subjected to such evil.

Email 1

-----

----

----

wee-bey-gif.gif

11 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

For chasing I use phone calls, emails that cast doubt on the professional abilities of those that are failing to move things on through sarcasm and sometimes bluntness.

My emails are amusing tea-break reading for some of my colleagues.

A 2nd email to chase up will normally have a read receipt. If I get a read recipt back but no update the 3rd will have a copy of the read receipt attached with,

'Thanks for reading my email - any chance you will actually do anything now'.

A couple of your colleagues and bosses CC'd in for good measure and amazing how quickly they respond.

90% of my rudeness is sanctioned by my boss as in this job it is required to get things done.

I think Wee Bey's reaction should be saved for everyone else.

8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think Wee Bey's reaction should be saved for everyone else.

Skim read the thread so missed out on MeadowXI's CC Snake status.

To be fair, folk who can't or won't keep on top of their emails are a fucking joke as well. Having to chase up basic shit is incredibly annoying, as is people thinking that "my inbox a bit mad at the moment" is somehow a good excuse.

Effectively being a grass to hurry these cretins up is questionable behaviour but I understand the motivation. I'm talking about folk who want some honest mistake to be highlighted. Have only came across one or two of these types but they're definitely OFTW.

12 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I went full Ruggy on a reply today. No greeting, no sign off, just the word "No".

It felt wonderful.

Embrace it, and continue it.

8 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Email 1

-----

----

----

wee-bey-gif.gif

People who add people into an email trail for the purpose of doing a Lee Wallace are utter c***s.

I hate people who instead of asking you to do something (or just tell you you've done something wrong) email you along the lines of "I'd have expected someone to have looked at that already..."

In my head I only read

DOT

DOT

DOT

Got a supervisor who when they have issues with other colleagues they play email games through staff to get back at them.

Me, I need x.

Ok, email my nemesis and cc the boss and their boss and so and so.

Me, I'll just ask them myself.

Them did you email so and so.

Me, yes.

I didnt. I'll just borrow it off someone else.

Sickening.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2017 at 17:54, WeAreElgin said:

Also, my favourite is project managers sending nothing but "ping me"

Utter fucking scum these folk.  Project Managers are, quite literally, the most atrocious people on the planet, all other types of people also considered.

On 27/02/2017 at 12:01, The Master said:

On a similar note, often when I go to the printer I see emails printed out.

I'm struggling to think of any situation where a printout of the actual message would be needed (i.e. forms that need signed etc. would be attachments), but these emails are always utterly trivial things, like an acknowledgement of a previous email, or a notification of an upcoming meeting or event. 

Just...why?

I need to print some emails occasionally, need to write information on them.  Probably could type it on it, but just seems easier to write it down.  

I always sign off external emails.  I've got a few email addresses which I deal with in work, that can be a bit of a nightmare, remembering which email is in what box.

Can't stand those who sign off with their initial, absolutely infuriating and reeks of people desperate to be seen as being fun and informal, when in reality they're the biggest loser going.

On 01/03/2017 at 00:45, Alan Stubbs said:

Skim read the thread so missed out on MeadowXI's CC Snake status.

To be fair, folk who can't or won't keep on top of their emails are a fucking joke as well. Having to chase up basic shit is incredibly annoying, as is people thinking that "my inbox a bit mad at the moment" is somehow a good excuse.

Effectively being a grass to hurry these cretins up is questionable behaviour but I understand the motivation. I'm talking about folk who want some honest mistake to be highlighted. Have only came across one or two of these types but they're definitely OFTW.

To clarify;

Basic mistakes and issues wouldn't CC snake. If these appear it means you are dealing with stuff and can work with that and sort it out.

Not bothering to answer, and being a slovenly workshy, delaying, needs a kick in the pie oxygen thief type then I have no qualms about using any techniques to get what I need from that individual. And if that means calling you out on broken deadlines and failures to communicate then tough.

Kept in the loop regarding delays and issues from my suppliers, I can handle and deal with my boss and my customers and all is good.

f**k up my day by not keeping me in the know and leaving me without answers and you get a metaphorical kick in the pie.

The curse of the two first names strikes again!

Somebody just emailed me twice in the space of 2 minutes.

15:05 - "Good afternoon *surname*"

15:07 - "Good afternoon "*first name*"

:lol:

33 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

The curse of the two first names strikes again!

Somebody just emailed me twice in the space of 2 minutes.

15:05 - "Good afternoon *surname*"

15:07 - "Good afternoon "*first name*"

:lol:

I had "Good afternoon *first name*" then "Good afternoon "*surname*" last week.  Fucking imbecile. 

To clarify;

Basic mistakes and issues wouldn't CC snake. If these appear it means you are dealing with stuff and can work with that and sort it out.

Not bothering to answer, and being a slovenly workshy, delaying, needs a kick in the pie oxygen thief type then I have no qualms about using any techniques to get what I need from that individual. And if that means calling you out on broken deadlines and failures to communicate then tough.

Kept in the loop regarding delays and issues from my suppliers, I can handle and deal with my boss and my customers and all is good.

f**k up my day by not keeping me in the know and leaving me without answers and you get a metaphorical kick in the pie.

Any chance of a translation? You have virtually no grasp of the English language, grammar or life.

ETA- just noticed your post started with the words "to clarify" it's still as clear as mud.

3 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Any chance of a translation? You have virtually no grasp of the English language, grammar or life.

ETA- just noticed your post started with the words "to clarify" it's still as clear as mud.

Read the post I quoted which I was referring to.

Archived