Email etiquette at work.

TheScarf

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the early days of work email I worked for a very large public sector organisation and I had the exact same first and last name as a very senior person within it.   They gave me the shortened version and him the longer version of our shared name.  He of course was widely known as the shorter version.

Cue me getting dozens of emails meant for him, some of which were of a pretty confidential nature.   I let my boss know initially and they assured me it would stop and much hand wringing ensued.  It never stopped of course and in the end it was agreed I should just forward them all on to him, which I did.  After reading them.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:44, TheScarf said:

My own example being from the thread being - 

I used to work with a guy who would end every email - Cheers, D.

F*ck all wrong with that.

I work for a bank and our trade processing is mainly carried out in India. The minute the guys in India come across a problem their solution is to send out an email with every man and their dog copied in on it looking for help.

I've lost count of the amount of email chains I have been copied in on that have bugger all to do with me.

We also have a system that is supposed to be used for queries which is one of the most cumbersome, awkward systems I've used. It takes an age to answer anything throughout and every time there is a response it reopens the query log. It does my nut in when the log is reopened with some pointless response like "thanks" etc. and I then need to spend a couple of minutes closing the log back down. Folk get fed up using it which leads you back to the email chain issue.

I am currently employed in the IT dept at a large automotive plant. I take immense joy in being able to delete virtually every email I get, since they basically all fall into the following categories:

• new starters from other depts, at a loss to know at whom to direct their random IT enquiries, sending a group email to the entire IT dept (hundreds if not thousands of people). Never, ever anything to do with me.
  • a BAKE SALE in some office on the other side of the plant is trying to raise money for some random charity. I fear I might burn more calories walking there than I'd put on eating the cake.
  • spaces are opening up on training courses that have zero to do with my role and are only open to permanent employees anyway. I prefer to train myself on the fly after telling them at the interview that I totally have the skills they need.
  • someone's son's cousin's dog's favourite toy's postman is doing a sponsored leap off a bridge for charity. Will I give them some money? Naw. I will not.

Occasionally some scrote will ask me to do some work.

Across the line is a new one in my work.

"I'm happy I've been able to bring you guys across the line with this information, I've been waiting for the chance to bring you it for a while".

PS - I'm going back to work today after a month off and I expect minimum of 4000 emails, I made a decision the other day that I'm just going to delete everything from before last Monday and just hope for the best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24/02/2017 at 14:17, MEADOWXI said:

I work with 5 buyers, and am CC'd into their correspondence, and I have my own as well.

I have one of them that will insist on answering everything.

Even if the email is sent to me, with him just CC'd in, and the email starts Dear MY NAME, addressed to me, with something for me to do, he has to answer it,

even if it is just to forward it to me with the sender CC'd in asking me to deal with it,

even if it is something that is a reply to a previous qeury from me, he has to jump in.

It creates extra emails and makes me want to wander to the other side of the office, he works in the same room as me, and take his keyboard and break his fingers with it.

The rest don't bother if they CC'd into one of my emails, they know it will be dealt with,

or I might get a question asked across room about it - but not this Cockwomble that sits about 6 feet away.

I think you have to constantly f**k with this guy.

On 24/02/2017 at 11:44, TheScarf said:

My own example being from the thread being - 

I used to work with a guy who would end every email - Cheers, D.

Guilty of that one myself.

Firstly because it's my initial, and secondly because it's more appropriate for emails that don't have any long-term value.

If you're telling a couple of people you know well that an informal meeting's been moved back half an hour, it takes a very special type of pompous c**t - one I'll hopefully never turn into - to insist on utilising a signature block that includes:

Full name

Job title

Postal address including room and mailpoint numbers

Phone/fax number

Logo/mission statement blurb.

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Firstly because it's my initial, and secondly because it's more appropriate for emails that don't have any long-term value.

If you're telling a couple of people you know well that an informal meeting's been moved back half an hour, it takes a very special type of pompous c**t - one I'll hopefully never turn into - to insist on utilising a signature block that includes:

Full name

Job title

Phone/fax number

To be fair, Outlook puts your standard signature block in for you, irrespective of whether it's an all-staff security alert or an email to your mate asking him to cover for you in  a conference call while you go for a shite.

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Full name

Job title

Phone/fax number

Ending an email with just your initial is never, ever acceptable. OFTW. 

• 7 months later...
I am currently employed in the IT dept at a large automotive plant. I take immense joy in being able to delete virtually every email I get, since they basically all fall into the following categories:
  • new starters from other depts, at a loss to know at whom to direct their random IT enquiries, sending a group email to the entire IT dept (hundreds if not thousands of people). Never, ever anything to do with me.
  • a BAKE SALE in some office on the other side of the plant is trying to raise money for some random charity. I fear I might burn more calories walking there than I'd put on eating the cake.
  • spaces are opening up on training courses that have zero to do with my role and are only open to permanent employees anyway. I prefer to train myself on the fly after telling them at the interview that I totally have the skills they need.
  • someone's son's cousin's dog's favourite toy's postman is doing a sponsored leap off a bridge for charity. Will I give them some money? Naw. I will not.
Occasionally some scrote will ask me to do some work.

Just set up your signature to say.
Have you tried switching it on and off.

On 24/02/2017 at 12:49, WeAreElgin said:

Reply All

A couple of months ago, one of our team leaders sent a general email out to the whole office (about 90 people), and one girl in his team replied to this email to request annual leave. But she didn't realise that she had hit "reply all" so everyone in the office got her calendar request for annual leave. She was a bit confused why she had received 90 emails to say her request was declined... :lol: 

14 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Just set up your signature to say.
Have you tried switching it on and off.

That would involve sending some in return. I try to appear invisible so that they keep paying me but forget to ask me to actually do anything.

A couple of months ago, one of our team leaders sent a general email out to the whole office (about 90 people), and one girl in his team replied to this email to request annual leave. But she didn't realise that she had hit "reply all" so everyone in the office got her calendar request for annual leave. She was a bit confused why she had received 90 emails to say her request was declined... [emoji38] 

I once had some random woman in London accidentally send her return to work form to an old team distribution list I was on.

Before she had a chance to realise her mistake I opened it. She'd apparently been off work for a week due to "chronic diarrhoea" - not sure what a group of server engineers are going to do with that [emoji38]

Archived