Email etiquette at work.

TheScarf

5 minutes ago, The Master said:

Indeed; since when has just "regards" been a sign of anger?

"Thanks" is too informal (and stupid if you're not actually thanking someone for something) and "kind regards" seems too personal. 

My passive-aggressive sign-off is just to use my name. It conveys the message of "you've pissed me off so much that I hope or wish you nothing". 

Why are you signing off an email? 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, The Master said:

Indeed; since when has just "regards" been a sign of anger?

"Thanks" is too informal (and stupid if you're not actually thanking someone for something) and "kind regards" seems too personal. 

My passive-aggressive sign-off is just to use my name. It conveys the message of "you've pissed me off so much that I hope or wish you nothing". 

Kind regards reeks of fake sincerity to me, and regards on its sounds like you can't be arsed being civil. Best wishes is sufficiently bland for most occasions when you don't know the person. If you do know them there's no need for anything unless a family member has just died.

6 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Double spacing after a full stop. I don't care if you are 50 and that's what you were taught. Times change. Guy I work with does it and even the sound of him hitting the space bar twice has me seething. 

Its still used in law firms, so some folk have to do it.

9 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I'm getting annoyed now. An email is not a letter. It does not need a greeting or a sign off. It's a tool for conveying information. 

Even if it's someone you've never communicated before? I'm ignorant about this as I don't do work emails. If it's a friend, nothing. If it's formal to someone I've never communicated with before, I do it like a letter. If it's family I resentfully do Hi an Love because they keep putting xxx which I can't face. There should be rules about this stuff.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Even if it's someone you've never communicated before? I'm ignorant about this as I don't do work emails. If it's a friend, nothing. If it's formal to someone I've never communicated with before, I do it like a letter. If it's family I resentfully do Hi an Love because they keep putting xxx which I can't face. There should be rules about this stuff.

Yes. It's business emails I'm talking about. 

Archived