Email etiquette at work.

TheScarf

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Torpar said:

I have a fairly common Scottish name which is spelt with one L, my email address here and at companies I worked for in Scotland had my first name in it, I usually signed off my emails with 'Thank *First name*' and my email signature has my first name.

Still get email that start with 'Hi *first name spelt with two Ls*'

Off topic but my name is mispronounced all the time here

Lucky c***.  I get both my first and surname misspelled on a rather regular basis, quite frequently both at the same time.  Different variations of the same misspelled name too, must be at least a dozen combinations I've had.

... and like your own situation, my address is firstname.surname@email.com, except that the surname is also frequently used as a first name and brings along a whole new issue.

My name also sounds very similar to one of my colleagues, with one person in our team still calling me his name despite working together for 1.5 years.  I wish he was just taking the piss, but he's clearly not.

1 hour ago, MSU said:

I will be out of the office until March 1, 2017 and your email has been automatically deleted. If it was something urgent, please contact John Smith or feel free to email me again or call me on my return.

That's no good for people in jobs that need to deal with emails that aren't sent by people. 

For instance, I receive emails from conference or journal management systems that have no-reply addresses. If I need to get in touch with the person who triggered the email their address is usually in the message body. But replying and deleting will have no effect, other than me not knowing I was meant to do something. 

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I too work for a large organization and we get some of these reply all wars also.  The worst are when someone "replies all" unnecessarily and then people "reply all" to scold the original offender for "replying all".  

The worst is when the "reply all" fuckwit then sends several more emails to everyone apologising for their "hilarious" error.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

The worst is when the "reply all" fuckwit then sends several more emails to everyone apologising for their "hilarious" error.

Yeah, that happens.  Sometimes the executives are on these mass emails (such as one to advise that someone left the lights on their car in the parking lot) so a lot of people end up looking pretty poor to the bigwigs

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

This happened not so long a go at work (NHS) someone sent an email to everyone in the global address book, basically everyone in NHS Scotland, idiots then started "replying to all" resulting in massive system crash.

I think it even made the news. 

eta Here it is, apologies for the S*n link

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2181758/nhs-servers-crash-after-it-worker-sent-test-email-to-all-1-2million-employees-who-then-started-replying-to-all/

47 minutes ago, The Master said:

That's no good for people in jobs that need to deal with emails that aren't sent by people. 

For instance, I receive emails from conference or journal management systems that have no-reply addresses. If I need to get in touch with the person who triggered the email their address is usually in the message body. But replying and deleting will have no effect, other than me not knowing I was meant to do something. 

Of course, it won't work for everyone. It was my old department head who put me on to it and the couple of times I used it, it worked perfectly well. That said, there are some holidays where it's not such a bad idea to spend the first day back mindlessly going through hundreds of emails.

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I have a colleague who's Out of Office message says simply

If you've sent them an e-mail, you spend the rest of your day distracted by 2 thoughts

1) Their day of what, exactly?

2) What sort of fuckwit can't spell 'Off'?

The sort of fuckwit who doesn't know the difference between "who's" and "whose," presumably.

I have a fairly common Scottish name which is spelt with one L, my email address here and at companies I worked for in Scotland had my first name in it, I usually signed off my emails with 'Thank *First name*' and my email signature has my first name.
Still get email that start with 'Hi *first name spelt with two Ls*'
Off topic but my name is mispronounced all the time here

I get it other way round when not referring to me by my surname.

Then there was the time where there were two of us ccd in and a great mix of surnames and first names were involved. The other blokes surname was mccallum and his first name wasnt far off the name either.

I used to hate my old place near the end of my time there so made sure I had an out of office message. It used to be a simple "not in" then I started to say I'm not available and unlikely to read them anyway. I did however get reported to HR as I then started looking for whatever national holiday fell on my time off and wish people from that country a great holiday. Needless to say someone construed me wishing people a happy "national holiday" as rascist, my reply was that we dealt with people in these countries so it's nice to be nice and there was no rascist overtones at all. My last level of messages followed the same logic but I ended up using google translate to do the same thing in whatever language was applicable.

It filled in some time before I eventually left there.

The number of people who get my name wrong on my email drives me nuts.  My email address is something like (names are incorrect) - alasdair.campbell@company.net
In this scenario every email I get is to Campbell.  People I speak to on the phone (and tell them my first name) will then email me and call me Campbell.  Even people I've emailed dozens of time still get my name wrong.

oh I hate this. I get it all the time, having a surname which could pass for a forename. I respond in kind. "Hi McCallister -blahblah blah." some wee scrote from our London office then corrected me about his name. I know you little twit!

I get this all the time. It's even more annoying in that my name is in my e-mail address so there's no excuse for people e-mailing me the first time or anything either.
And as above I have normal name that has variant spellings, but it's not anything complicated like a Ruaraidh or the like.

16 different spelling of Ruaraidh in the last baby name list published by registrars. My wee Ruaraidh is in for a treat!

Folk who don't put an out of office on should be immediately fired upon their return to work.

This. The Out of Office should and must state the duration of their absence, and who to contact in their stead.

Also: individuals, and sometimes entire businesses of individuals, who don't put have proper corporate signatures on their fucking emails.

Name
Title
Address
Direct line
Mobile number
Email address
Website

It's not a hard thing to enforce. I go mental when people try to avoid providing these simple details.

Seeing as most places seem to use Gmail/Outlook type systems these days, I think this just about counts...

Folk putting their personal, not even in working hours shit, in their work calendars. "8pm: Witchery", "Sunday 1pm: Appointment, Trainer"

200.gif

Half the c***s at my work do this and one or two have work mobiles, so it's not for any practical reason. Unsurprisingly, it's all amazzingly impressive activity clogging up the shared calendar, so I think it's safe to mark it down as gimpy middle aged vanity.

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There's been a discussion over the last couple of days in the PTTGOYN thread about email etiquette and some harrowing examples of work colleagues turning us P&Bers in #seething messes.

My own example being from the thread being - 

I used to work with a guy who would end every email - Cheers, D.

Have some self respect ffs.  You aren't emailing your pal via Hotmail or something.  You're in a place of work in a very well paid role.  He's in his 50's as well

Is it just me who gets into a raging, vein popping frenzy when respected work colleagues and bosses use the most common work communicator like an instant messaging platform?

The transition to Hotmailesque language in work email is totally unacceptable.

Unless it's one of the pretty young thangs in the office leaving in a rogue smiley. Then I'll sit looking at it, thinking what does this mean? quitegood.png

Archived