Email etiquette at work.

TheScarf

37 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Same.  It happens so often.  I trust you start addressing them by their surname?  'Hi Black' for example?  Could get you into trouble actually that one.

A few times, but a while ago.  These days I'm almost immune to it, so if I'm having a bad day I'll just say "my name is actually..." or completely ignore it if I'm a happy camper.

There used to be a guy in the company with exactly the reverse name as me - endless fun with that one, especially when I got his confidential client emails. 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People (women) who reply to emails with "thanks" - completely unnecessary.

A few others:

One of our clients types their email message under the signature rather than above it which I always find hilarious.

There are also a couple of people in the office who seem to just email every thought they have to everyone in the office.  I haven't worked out how to mark internal email as spam but I now have a message rule in outlook that moves all their shite direct to my junk mail folder.

My boss once walked over to my desk and told me he was going to send me an email. 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Twice recently we've had "reply all" wars. The original emails were innocuous (just general FYI emails about something happening), but the subsequent reply started off a chain of "Please remove me from this list". Every time one person asked to be removed, it promoted another half-dozen to do likewise. If everyone just stayed level-headed enough to not reply at all, peace and quiet would ensue. But you can't even send an email saying that because people don't read it, and instead demand to be removed from the list. And on we go.

I too work for a large organization and we get some of these reply all wars also.  The worst are when someone "replies all" unnecessarily and then people "reply all" to scold the original offender for "replying all".  

I will be out of the office until March 1, 2017 and your email has been automatically deleted. If it was something urgent, please contact John Smith or feel free to email me again or call me on my return.

Not getting name right,

If your name was Stuart and it appeared two or three times in the sent email twats will still reply, 'Hi Stewart'.

Same for Steven / Stephen.

It happens to my name constantly (neother of the above are my name just examples).

3 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Not getting name right,

If your name was Stuart and it appeared two or three times in the sent email twats will still reply, 'Hi Stewart'.

It happens to my name constantly (neother of the above are my name just examples).

This.  Both my names are like this so I get addressed by an incorrect surname as my first name :lol:

5 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Not getting name right,

Okay Leslie. 

4 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

This.  Both my names are like this so I get addressed by an incorrect surname as my first name :lol:

^ ^ ^ Stephen Stewart or Stuart Steven IMO.

Just now, The Minertaur said:

I deal with a lot of foreign clients, they address you different. If my name was Stewart Stevenson I could get;

Angola - Mr Stewart

The US - Sir

Saudi - Mr Stevenson

Sth Africa - Stuart  or Stephanie (All South Africans of all races are arses),

Iraq - Mr Stewart Sir

England - Hi Steven

Europe - Stewart or Mr Stevenson.

I like Europe.

Also 'Did you get my email?' 'Did you get an out of office or a bounce back?' 'No' 
Well then I fucking got it you nonce.

Maybe this is a polite way of saying 'please reply you ignorant b*****d!!!'

2 hours ago, The Master said:

That sounds like a poorly-configured mail server. The norm should be to send an out-of-office to each recipient only once. 

I just assumed it sent it each time. I'm kinda disappointed now if it doesn't do that :(

I have a fairly common Scottish name which is spelt with one L, my email address here and at companies I worked for in Scotland had my first name in it, I usually signed off my emails with 'Thank *First name*' and my email signature has my first name.

Still get email that start with 'Hi *first name spelt with two Ls*'

Off topic but my name is mispronounced all the time here

32 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Not getting name right,

I get this all the time. It's even more annoying in that my name is in my e-mail address so there's no excuse for people e-mailing me the first time or anything either.

And as above I have normal name that has variant spellings, but it's not anything complicated like a Ruaraidh or the like.

Same.  It happens so often.  I trust you start addressing them by their surname?  'Hi Black' for example?  Could get you into trouble actually that one.

Do you still work for the same large IT company in Inverness/Nairn?

There are a few senior management etc that have some very unfortunate surnames that should be abused.

16 minutes ago, Torpar said:

I have a fairly common Scottish name which is spelt with one L, my email address here and at companies I worked for in Scotland had my first name in it, I usually signed off my emails with 'Thank *First name*' and my email signature has my first name.

Still get email that start with 'Hi *first name spelt with two Ls*'

Off topic but my name is mispronounced all the time here

Hiya Calum! 

Archived