Email etiquette at work.

TheScarf

There's been a discussion over the last couple of days in the PTTGOYN thread about email etiquette and some harrowing examples of work colleagues turning us P&Bers in #seething messes.

My own example being from the thread being - 

I used to work with a guy who would end every email - Cheers, D.

Have some self respect ffs.  You aren't emailing your pal via Hotmail or something.  You're in a place of work in a very well paid role.  He's in his 50's as well

Is it just me who gets into a raging, vein popping frenzy when respected work colleagues and bosses use the most common work communicator like an instant messaging platform?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my last workplace there was some lassie that sent every email with a read receipt. Used to drive everyone daft.

To balance it there was a good guy who would send emails to accounts with an attachment with lots of zeros on it saying "here's some noughts for my paycheck"

:lol:

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Folk who don't put an out of office on should be immediately fired upon their return to work.

I put mine on, but then read and reply sometimes from my phone. Meaning a full conversation can ensue with an "out of office" also being sent every time they reply to me.

33 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Folk who don't put an out of office on should be immediately fired upon their return to work.

I once got a disciplinary from a previous workplace for saying in my Out of Office that I would be back soon "Unless the Nazis from Indiana Jones got me".

Apparently this was offensive, with them telling me that someone in the place had an older relative who was in a concentration camp.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I once got a disciplinary from a previous workplace for saying in my Out of Office that I would be back soon "Unless the Nazi's from Indiana Jones got me".

Quite right too. There's no apostrophe in "Nazis".

People who phone to say "I've sent you an email" are the worst.

1 minute ago, Forfinn said:

Quite right too. There's no apostrophe in "Nazis".

People who phone to say "I've sent you an email" are the worst.

Dear me. What was I thinking. I've changed it now. And the Out of Office never had the rogue apostrophe. 

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I have a colleague who's Out of Office message says simply

If you've sent them an e-mail, you spend the rest of your day distracted by 2 thoughts

1) Their day of what, exactly?

2) What sort of fuckwit can't spell 'Off'?

Hopefully it's their day of learning how to spell.

So Primary 1 basically. They are on their Day of Primary 1. 

36 minutes ago, Spain said:

I put mine on, but then read and reply sometimes from my phone. Meaning a full conversation can ensue with an "out of office" also being sent every time they reply to me.

That sounds like a poorly-configured mail server. The norm should be to send an out-of-office to each recipient only once. 

16 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Reply All

This.

Twice recently we've had "reply all" wars. The original emails were innocuous (just general FYI emails about something happening), but the subsequent reply started off a chain of "Please remove me from this list". Every time one person asked to be removed, it promoted another half-dozen to do likewise. If everyone just stayed level-headed enough to not reply at all, peace and quiet would ensue. But you can't even send an email saying that because people don't read it, and instead demand to be removed from the list. And on we go.

Just now, The Master said:

That sounds like a poorly-configured mail server. The norm should be to send an out-of-office to each recipient only once. 

This.

Twice recently we've had "reply all" wars. The original emails were innocuous (just general FYI emails about something happening), but the subsequent reply started off a chain of "Please remove me from this list". Every time one person asked to be removed, it promoted another half-dozen to do likewise. If everyone just stayed level-headed enough to not reply at all, peace and quiet would ensue. But you can't even send an email saying that because people don't read it, and instead demand to be removed from the list. And on we go.

Do we work for the same employer? An educational institution?

23 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I once got a disciplinary from a previous workplace for saying in my Out of Office that I would be back soon "Unless the Nazis from Indiana Jones got me".

Apparently this was offensive, with them telling me that someone in the place had an older relative who was in a concentration camp.

Still in the camp? Cheaper than a care home I expect. 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Still in the camp? Cheaper than a care home I expect. 

I think they shipped her off to someone else. I heard they all got closed down in the mid to late 1940s for some reason

Archived