Attitudes, why do they change?

10 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

My mate's maw and da' are teachers in Paisley and he tells me there's two or three trans students in the school who don't get any shit for it. Kids today are just accepting of this. A lot more than we were.

If you believe that, you'll believe anything. Even at the likes of Paisley Grammar (which granted has gone downhill a touch after being forced to widen their catchment area), the kids are pretty much the same vicious little gobshites they were 10, 20, 30, etc years ago. If it's still beyond sanity for a kid to openly admit he/she's gay (especially male), it's suicidal for one to come out as trans in a British state school.

What has changed is the teachers, who as part of their job requirement now live in a permanent culture of denial that bullying, drugs, solvent abuse & kids pumping each other in store cupboards isn't going on in "their school" to an extent which borders on People's Temple levels. I've spoken to dozens of teachers & ex-teachers down the years in my job, & the same story resonates over & over again, the culture of whitewashing problems, buck passing & "managing out" anyone daring to point out problems which aren't being addressed.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

I was at a funeral today, a very religious affair. Numerous times we were told that God gave his son for our sins. Fair enough. Why are we apparently born sinners then?

Apparently in other news he died to save us from our sins because we are born sinners. Adam just had to have that fucking apple didn't he. :lol:

I'm not diverting from the threads topic here but Blootoon just showed an example of how attitudes can change through time and by location. He was told Jesus died for our sins but the real interpretation is that he sacrificed himself to save us from our sins by showing us how!, wait for it? by being better Jews, but in the modern world there aren't any Christians who actually are being better Jewish Christians by actually following every law laid out in the Old Testament and the amendments Jesus had preached.

Religion and religious texts and practices is a real prime example of how attitudes have changed over the years.

If you believe that, you'll believe anything. Even at the likes of Paisley Grammar (which granted has gone downhill a touch after being forced to widen their catchment area), the kids are pretty much the same vicious little gobshites they were 10, 20, 30, etc years ago. If it's still beyond sanity for a kid to openly admit he/she's gay (especially male), it's suicidal for one to come out as trans in a British state school.
What has changed is the teachers, who as part of their job requirement now live in a permanent culture of denial that bullying, drugs, solvent abuse & kids pumping each other in store cupboards isn't going on in "their school" to an extent which borders on People's Temple levels. I've spoken to dozens of teachers & ex-teachers down the years in my job, & the same story resonates over & over again, the culture of whitewashing problems, buck passing & "managing out" anyone daring to point out problems which aren't being addressed.

This is absolutely nothing like my experiences as a teacher. I teach 3 transgender pupils and many openly gay pupils. There's an LGBT 'society' who meet regularly and I went along one lunchtime meeting to chat with them, see what sort of things they discussed and find out a bit more about what specific problems they faced in school. They clearly stated that bullying regarding their sexuality was virtually non existent and that other pupils couldn't really care less about sexuality. I was delighted to hear this and go and chat with them regularly just to let them know I'm available to chat should something unpleasant happen.

Archived