Attitudes, why do they change?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Fair enough, each to their own. I imagine they'd probably enjoy that better than the debating society.

I don't think it's an either/or.  You can be in the LGBT society and also in the debating society.

Some schools in America have Gay-Straight Alliance societies where straight students can work together with gay students to build a more supportive campus environment.

This got me thinking about Roddy Doyle's thing he puts up on Facebook about the two fellas having a pint and chatting on facebook (It's great and worth following him for)

This was his one just before Ireland voted for equal marriage two year ago....

-One of me sons came ou’ there earlier.
-Fuckin’ hell - . How d’you feel about tha’?
-Wha’?
-Your son, like. How did he come ou’?
-Through the back door. Same as the rest of us.
-Hang on – . He came ou’ the back?
-Yeah.
-You’re fuckin’ messin’ with me again, aren’t yeh?
-No, I’m not. Me son came ou’ for a chat. We were ou’ on the deck.
-Yis have a deck?
-Yeah.
-Since when?
-Since one o’ the grandkids took a pallet from behind the Spar an’
threw it on top o’ the fuckin’ grass. But – come here. Isn’t it fuckin’
amazin’ tha’ we can have a chat like this?
-Abou’ decks?
-No – abou’ comin’ ou’ an’ our kids an’ stuff like tha’. Not so long
ago –
-It would’ve been impossible.
-Well – not impossible. But - .
-Fuckin’ tricky.
-Very fuckin’ tricky. But - . More. There was a fella in my class in
school an’ – words like ‘gay’ an’ ‘camp’ didn’t exist back then the way
they do now. But he got a terrible fuckin’ time – from the the teachers
an’ the Brothers. Called him Twinkle-Toes an’ stuff like tha’. They
never let up – they battered him. An’ we laughed. We had to – I
remember thinkin’ tha’. Or they’d’ve murdered us as well.
-Wha’ was his real name?
-Jim. I was thinkin’ about him there. Wonderin’ – yeh know – how he
was. An’ that’s another reason I’ll be votin’ Yes.
-Why?
-Well –
-Apologisin’.
-Yeah – yeah. I suppose so.
-Same as meself, so.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I don't think it's an either/or.  You can be in the LGBT society and also in the debating society.

Some schools in America have Gay-Straight Alliance societies where straight students can work together with gay students to build a more supportive campus environment.

Helping them out when they're busy?

On 22/02/2017 at 14:00, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Something that's been bothering me for ages, last 10 minutes if I'm honest, but I started thinking about the changes in attitude to certain things, and whether it's likely we regress in attitudes as (in my opinion) we have progressed in my lifetime, is it a natural cycle?

Attitudes that I can think of that have progressed in my time.

"Tolerance is not the result of enlightenment,  tolerance is the result of boredom.  The facts have to be repeated over and over and over again and people say "Oh! OK! You're queer...just talk about something else!".  This is the work of time, not legislation.  Legislation makes almost no difference, it is the result of public opinion."

Quentin Crisp

I basically agree with that.  Norms are formed by social exposure. 

11 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I reckon the change in attitude comes once you actually have some contact with a group you previously considered "other". Being a teenager in 1980s Glasgow, I can never remember meeting anyone who was openly gay, for example - you heard stories about certain pubs but wouldn't go in them. Thinking back, I wouldn't say at the time I held any actual prejudice towards gays, but I'd had no way to "normalise" it in my head, the way a kid growing up today with openly gay pals will.

By '88 or '89, I'd started to go out with a girl who lived in Circus Place in Edinburgh on the edge of Stockbridge- the nearest pub to her flat was the Laughing Duck and if the weather was bad us and her flatmates would often end up in there. I can remember the almost trepidation I felt the first time we went in and I realised what the place was. After a couple of beers and actually getting talking to some of the regulars in there it was an eye-opener to find out that there was absolutely no fundamental difference between gay and straight punters apart from who they were likely to end up with at the end of the night - the only prejudice I still held was against their prevailing musical taste as at the time they seemed to hugely favour Hi-NRG disco which I'm never going to get on with.

Gay bars are fun when going there with someone who is actually gay, the patter is something else to behold. :lol: Puts Dick Emery to shame and no fucking holds barred with this mob. They will annihilate each other verbally with a level of sarcasm that cuts deep to the core but with wit and humour unless you are on the receiving end. There is nothing more humiliating than 10 or more gay folk taking the piss out of a straight person in a gay bar or disco I tells ya. :wub:

2 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

Gay bars are fun when going there with someone who is actually gay, the patter is something else to behold. :lol: Puts Dick Emery to shame and no fucking holds barred with this mob. They will annihilate each other verbally with a level of sarcasm that cuts deep to the core but with wit and humour unless you are on the receiving end. There is nothing more humiliating than 10 or more gay folk taking the piss out of a straight person in a gay bar or disco I tells ya. :wub:

I had a funny one a few years back in Dublin - I'd gone over for the annual Phil Lynott memorial gig. Everyone I knew that was going - three or four of us - had booked at different times so were staying in different hotels and so on and had just arranged to meet at the show.

I was ready early, so decided to hit a few boozers on the way. About the third one I went into, I ordered up a pint of Guinness. While it was settling, I looked round the pub and got "that" vibe - I should have realised - I noticed it was called "Out on the Liffey" as I was leaving!

When the barman came back, I asked him:

"Is this a...."

"Gay bar? Yes it is, sor! It's all right though - everybody knows you're not gay."

"Aye? How so?"

"Nobody gay would be seen dead drinkin' a pint of fockin' Guinness..."

Just now, Hillonearth said:

I had a funny one a few years back in Dublin - I'd gone over for the annual Phil Lynott memorial gig. Everyone I knew that was going - three or four of us - had booked at different times so were staying in different hotels and so on and had just arranged to meet at the show.

I was ready early, so decided to hit a few boozers on the way. About the third one I went into, I ordered up a pint of Guinness. While it was settling, I looked round the pub and got "that" vibe - I should have realised - I noticed it was called "Out on the Liffey" as I was leaving!

When the barman came back, I asked him:

"Is this a...."

"Gay bar? Yes it is, sor! It's all right though - everybody knows you're not gay."

"Aye? How so?"

"Nobody gay would be seen dead drinkin' a pint of fockin' Guinness..."

I think every Glaswegian knows The Waterloo is a gay bar. But when the straights walk in and don't know they are in a gay bar their reactions were as funny as f**k. :lol: Most never even finished their drinks and the worst said a few inappropriate words before getting a mouthful from the drama queens who have forked tongues and know how to make straight guys even more uncomfortable. I have heard some real belters that made them run out with red faces after being offered some service or other to help them get in touch with their feminine side and their curiosity. :lol:

1 minute ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Has anyone mentioned religion yet?

Nothing against it, (I don't follow any at the mo), but as long as people use a 2000 year old book* for moral reference then we're all fooked.

*other literature is open to question.

Just to point out?, the book isn't even 2,000 years old, the earliest complete bible comes from the time of the Roman's conversion to Christianity and contains differing gospels, books and content not compiled in modern bibles. And some fucker had to involve the old firm somehow? :rolleyes:

I have down in depth study of the bible and parts of it is dodgier than some of the posts on P&B I tells ya. :lol:

For anyone wanting to know some of the Bibles hidden history and why it has been abused and rewritten umpteen times to serve the rulers of the day, see or google the CODEX SINAITICUS there is no immaculate conception and there is no resurrection mentioned anywhere in the worlds oldest and most complete bible on the planet. Food for thought.

27 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

Just to point out?, the book isn't even 2,000 years old, the earliest complete bible comes from the time of the Roman's conversion to Christianity and contains differing gospels, books and content not compiled in modern bibles. And some fucker had to involve the old firm somehow? :rolleyes:

I have down in depth study of the bible and parts of it is dodgier than some of the posts on P&B I tells ya. :lol:

For anyone wanting to know some of the Bibles hidden history and why it has been abused and rewritten umpteen times to serve the rulers of the day, see or google the CODEX SINAITICUS there is no immaculate conception and there is no resurrection mentioned anywhere in the worlds oldest and most complete bible on the planet. Food for thought.

Sorry for spreading this wider than rational thinking. (:

2 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

:lol: Nah, don't believe any of them they are all b*****dized. We all know the difference from good and bad.

Well obviously, it's Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef ffs.

Archived