Attitudes, why do they change?

24 minutes ago, bennett said:

They've changed for the better IMO, some of the PC stuff can be a bit annoying at times but you wouldn't turn the clock back.

I can't remember the last time I heard anyone using a certain word for a Chinese meal, now it's just " I'm phoning for a Chinese, what do you want?"

Was watching the dam buster's recently and the dugs name wouldn't be tolerated anymore.

Being gay really isn't an issue to most people, I could count on one hand the amount of times it's been a serious issue.

Every generation moves on I suppose.

My brother had his windows put in and threatened to get out of the area just because he was gay, circa 1983/84.

Things have come a long long way, I even got abuse coming out of Bennett's night club with my brother when I went out with him back in 1985ish onwards until it got better by the late 90's when being gay was more publicly acceptable.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, bennett said:

They've changed for the better IMO, some of the PC stuff can be a bit annoying at times but you wouldn't turn the clock back.

I can't remember the last time I heard anyone using a certain word for a Chinese meal, now it's just " I'm phoning for a Chinese, what do you want?"

Was watching the dam buster's recently and the dugs name wouldn't be tolerated anymore.

Being gay really isn't an issue to most people, I could count on one hand the amount of times it's been a serious issue.

Every generation moves on I suppose.

I'm on a Facebook page for Scottish expats in Western Australia and a few weeks back some 50+year old woman posted "Does anyone know a good chinkies in Mindarie?" 

The first comment was "I don't think that's very appropriate", followed by her response of "Why? That's what we call them back hame".

How naive have you got to be to not realise you're going to get called out on that, regardless of whether that's what you call Chinese or not?

Btw, the stereotype of Australia being a tad racist is justified in my experiences so far. I haven't been here a year yet and have heard ni**er twice, c**n once, and darkie once. Genuinely stunned on each occasion when I heard them although unsurprisingly they were all uttered by 50 somethings. On the flip side of that though I do know a few people in younger age groups who are the polar opposite to that so it's definitely a generational thing partially down to a more culturally diverse society and partially down to subjects like homophobia, racism, sexism and intolerance in general being tackled more seriously in schools*.

*Based on my kids schooling compared to my own - may or may not be true across the board.

Complete and utter bollocks. Heterosexuality and homosexuality would have meant absolutely nothing to Romans: they conceived of sexuality in a dominant/submissive frame of reference that was also used by the ancient Greeks.

RomanTon

8 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Btw, the stereotype of Australia being a tad racist is justified in my experiences so far. I haven't been here a year yet and have heard ni**er twice, c**n once, and darkie once. Genuinely stunned on each occasion when I heard them although unsurprisingly they were all uttered by 50 somethings.

A tad? Australia's like 1970s Oldham with a few beaches.

I'm not sure what the younger people's attitudes are like in Australia but I certainly noticed most over 30's to be happily and openly racist there. The attitudes towards the Aboriginals was dreadful considering the history there and who was there first etc yet I would hear ramblings like "this is OUR country and if OTHER people want to come HERE they live by OUR rules" and all sorts of shite like that which is pretty infuriating. Also one time I was working on a retaining wall and my boss said to me "Don't worry too much about it m8 it's just a wog-wall."

My wife is a teacher and there is a LGBT pupils group at her school, I think that's pretty normal now.  The idea of openly gay school kids just wouldn't have happened when I was at school, although there were obviously kids who were gay there at the time.  I don't think anyone gets worked up by these groups, it's totally normal.

10 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

My brother had his windows put in and threatened to get out of the area just because he was gay, circa 1983/84.

Things have come a long long way, I even got abuse coming out of Bennett's night club with my brother when I went out with him back in 1985ish onwards until it got better by the late 90's when being gay was more publicly acceptable.

I reckon the change in attitude comes once you actually have some contact with a group you previously considered "other". Being a teenager in 1980s Glasgow, I can never remember meeting anyone who was openly gay, for example - you heard stories about certain pubs but wouldn't go in them. Thinking back, I wouldn't say at the time I held any actual prejudice towards gays, but I'd had no way to "normalise" it in my head, the way a kid growing up today with openly gay pals will.

By '88 or '89, I'd started to go out with a girl who lived in Circus Place in Edinburgh on the edge of Stockbridge- the nearest pub to her flat was the Laughing Duck and if the weather was bad us and her flatmates would often end up in there. I can remember the almost trepidation I felt the first time we went in and I realised what the place was. After a couple of beers and actually getting talking to some of the regulars in there it was an eye-opener to find out that there was absolutely no fundamental difference between gay and straight punters apart from who they were likely to end up with at the end of the night - the only prejudice I still held was against their prevailing musical taste as at the time they seemed to hugely favour Hi-NRG disco which I'm never going to get on with.

55 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My wife is a teacher and there is a LGBT pupils group at her school, I think that's pretty normal now.  The idea of openly gay school kids just wouldn't have happened when I was at school, although there were obviously kids who were gay there at the time.  I don't think anyone gets worked up by these groups, it's totally normal.

I went to an utter shit hole of a high school and around the early 00's time there was hysteria at the thought of any pupils being gay. There was a guy who was my year who was clearly gay and he didn't get that hard a time over all but i do recall times seeing him walk down a corridor and a group of guys getting right in his face screaming "POOOOOOF!!" at him. Its not that far off throwing bananas at black footballers IMO, just utter insanity and the thing is the guys who were screaming this at him were often alright and were just dragged in to the mob mentality of it all.

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

I went to an utter shit hole of a high school and around the early 00's time there was hysteria at the thought of any pupils being gay. There was a guy who was my year who was clearly gay and he didn't get that hard a time over all but i do recall times seeing him walk down a corridor and a group of guys getting right in his face screaming "POOOOOOF!!" at him. Its not that far off throwing bananas at black footballers IMO, just utter insanity and the thing is the guys who were screaming this at him were often alright and were just dragged in to the mob mentality of it all.

Are you not from Inverness?  What school did you go to?

Just now, ICTChris said:

Are you not from Inverness?  What school did you go to?

I'm not from Inverness i just lived there on and off, went to a high school somewhere else which i don't wish to say in public but it was an utter shite hole!

I don't like the term 'tolerant' in the context it's being used here. It suggests that you put up with someone for being gay/black/a religion instead of just seeing them and accepting them as a person. It's like the fact that they are gay/black/a religion etc is what is being used to define them and that there is nothing more to that person. 

I realise that most on here using the term don't mean in it that way, but I still think it has shit connotations.

16 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I think that racism and homophobia still exists but to combat it there's too many knee jerk or counter discriminatory measures.

I don't get why you should fill out a positive discrimination form when applying for jobs. Surely if a company isn't racist then there is no need for this? I don't tend to think about race until you get this flung in your face. Does that mean that a company is then deliberately starting to favour minorities or disabled people over others? Isn't that racist or discriminatory?

Another example I should the recent knicker wetting at the Oscars and Stormzy at the Brits. Could it not be that there wasn't any films, actors or music worthy of winning? 

I realise it's a tricky subject and there is obvious examples of bigoted or racist organisations like the police in America who need positive discrimination but employing people to meet quotas is racist and totally stupid.

It's not racist. It's a misguided attempt to atone for years of racism. I agree that it's stupid and doesn't work, but it was seen as a necessary thing to do in order to diversify many workplaces.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't like the term 'tolerant' in the context it's being used here. It suggests that you put up with someone for being gay/black/a religion instead of just seeing them and accepting them as a person. It's like the fact that they are gay/black/a religion etc is what is being used to define them and that there is nothing more to that person. 

I realise that most on here using the term don't mean in it that way, but I still think it has shit connotations.

It's the least, and the most unfortunately, you can expect from some individuals who are too ignorant and unimaginative to get rid of their prejudices. Suppressing them is better than nothing.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

What is the purpose of this LGBT group? 

5 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

What is the purpose of this LGBT group? 

Bumming each other to within an inch of their lives.

Srsly tho, I think it's to support each other and deal with any issues that they have related to their sexuality.  

Archived