Alloa Athletic FC V Airdrieonians FC

8 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Exactly. Far too young to be a first choice keeper playing week in and week out- rooted to his line more often than not- he has cost us a good few goals this year. Yet, as you say dare to question him and face to outrage of the support who seem to be blinded to his faults.

When you take a choice to play a young keeper f/t you need to be prepared to suffer the associated growing pains.  In fairness,  I see a good goalie who could become great, but he still makes a lot of mistakes that need ironed out but lack of a proper coach isn't helping (afaik, a former Celtic and ICT goalie was only helping thru the week).  Playing him with such an inexperienced, and frankly poor, defence has hardly helped?

Thanks yet again to King and Woleki for some brilliant planning.   Hardly Rohan's fault, he'll continue to make mistakes.  What can we do?

Btw,  we have 2  cracking young keepers in the pipeline too in Kinvig and McKee (17s).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've no real issue with Ferguson, clearly he is making mistakes but overall he has saved us a few times as well. I have no issue with him because he is exactly the type of player I was expecting us to have if our full-time plan was going to work and am willing to put up with inexperienced but talented youngsters making mistakes for a long term benefit. For the same reason that I'm probably the most supportive of Brown on here, and I'd stick maybe stick McIntosh in that category too. They have not been the problem this season, the problem was the recruitment of the more experienced team filler, whose job in our setup should be to provide a solid, consistent team structure for these younger guys to play in and learn from a few seasoned pros.

Instead Ferguson has been behind a combination of utterly shambolic defences and his natural instincts are probably telling him just to stay on his line and stay out of the way of the shambles in front of him. McIntosh has played about 4 different positions, as has Brown (ironically none of which in a central attacking role where I'd say he is more suited). That's not to say players shouldn't have to play different positions at times, but at the same time if you are wanting them to develop then constantly chopping and changing their position isn't going to help, or in Ferguson's case chopping and changing from one shambolic back 4 to another..

15 hours ago, printer said:

Another very good three points after the win last week at Hampden.

For the second week in a row Jim Goodwin managed to put out a starting eleven that I can't imagine any fan predicted. Despite going 2-0 up ( and it should have been 3 or 4) I don't think we looked totally comfortable with the formation and were a better unit after Hetherington came on for Spence at half-time.

Flannigan on the bench and McCluskey starting is hard to fathom. I thought Mackin did well up front.

Airdrie were dangerous going forwards first half, but otherwise not great.

Yeah I'm just not seeing McCluskey for Flannigan at all. Hetherington was excellent when he came on, added some bite in there and sensible on the ball.

Mackins best game for us so far, more effective and gave Mensing in particular a tough afternoon.

Some seat of the pants stuff in the first half after a terrific opening spell, but overall very good. 

16 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

I thought it would be the same team roughly but what do we know lol, having said that i thought stevie hertherington should have started.

Yeah fully agree that they are a better team going forward just not so good at the defending part. Having said all of that i was one of the people who made a bit of a joke about mensing signing for airdrie but i thought he was fantastic today for yourselves, handled everything thrown at him.

You are a man in the know, where was marr today have you any idea? I would ask wasps1 but he seems to have fallen of the face of the earth.

Never heard anything at all to suggest Jason was injured, but would be surprised if he wasn't. Ryan Hoggan was the only defender on the bench.

Think McCluskey was a good addition. He's got the talent & saw glimpses yesterday but just couldn't get in the game. There's no doubt if he's playing behind the strikers Flanny is a better option all day long. Stefan gives us good depth & I think he's a decent player.

He is our 2nd choice , Neil Parry is injured and is a much better shot stopper , that said mcdowall has done well !

He's has done well. McDowall has never let us down, although he's clearly a number two at this level.

Think McCluskey was a good addition. He's got the talent & saw glimpses yesterday but just couldn't get in the game. There's no doubt if he's playing behind the strikers Flanny is a better option all day long. Stefan gives us good depth & I think he's a decent player.

I think McLuskey is Ok, but he isn't in Flanny's class based on what he's produced so far in an Alloa shirt.

He's has done well. McDowall has never let is down, although he's clearly a number two at this level.

Think McD would get into majority of League 1 sides. Don't think he's a stick on no.2 in this league, we're just very lucky to have two keepers of a good quality.

McD needs to command his box for me a bit more he stays pinned to the line, you would think over the years the quality of goalkeeper coaches & goalkeepers he would have picked it up.

As soon as neily is back he will be straight back in, which is unfortunate for mcd as thats not how jims substitutions have been working recently.

Nice to see McDowall getting a bit of praise. His decision-making isn't always the best, as has been well pointed out in the past, but he's a good keeper and Goodwin must be happy not to have that area to worry about while Parry's recovering. He might even have improved a bit since his run in the Championship days.

Edit: falkirkwasp's right about him staying on the line a bit too much. Maybe kens he doesn't always make the right choices and doesn't want to end up stranded.

Jim Goodwin did say that teams that operate a high press do tend to shade as the season goes on so it's no bad thing that he is utilising his full squad. I missed the game yesterday but players like Holmes and Hetherington have been excellent since they have been reintroduced. Flanny will be back raring to go and there is a lot of football left to play. A good much needed win at home. 

Sadly a phone was interfering with the microphone with the managers so kind of irritating. Got interviews with Craig McDowell and Simon Mensing but I feel like I've not got enough time to do everything before the East Fife game.

Majority of the highlights will be done tomorrow so I reckon the game will be up on Tuesday morning.

I like Ferguson, and think he will improve.  I don't think he should be immune from criticism, but I also don't think that he actually is.  I remember one roaster at a game earlier this season shouting that he was the worst Airdrie goalkeeper he'd ever seen :lol:.  He makes mistakes, yes, but he's not as bad as that by any stretch of the imagination.  Colin Stewart seems to have slipped the guy's mind...

But we would be better having a more experienced goalkeeper in as well, if only as backup.  The other two are surely too young, and good as they may be (and I've never seen them, so will trust DBM's assessment), I'd be wary of putting them in if Rohan were to be injured or suspended.  It's also good to have the option of withdrawing a player from the front lines for a couple of weeks to get his head sorted if his confidence takes a hit.  At the moment we don't really have that option.  I wouldn't say it's a major priority for right now, but it's something that should be fixed next season.  It's been a familiar problem this season - our first choices in each position are generally pretty good, but the squad is very thin beyond the first XI.

Archived