Alloa Athletic FC V Airdrieonians FC

3 minutes ago, pencils said:

Both centre backs were really good today and good to see the stupid mistakes which were costing us goals and games not appearing anymore.

Wonder if Spence was injured? Took a knock last week which I assume forced him off then and maybe wasn't fully fit today? Half time seemed a really strange time to take him off. Suppose just before half time Airdrie were really on top so maybe could've been tactical and perhaps worked because can't remember them creating any chances second half although we didn't either.

looking back it was defo tactical , we tightened up at the back after half time !

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we played some really nice stuff towards the end of the first half and fully expected that to continue in the second, how wrong was I. I know why Brown was taken off but we really could have done with him putting in the free kicks/corners we had in the last ten. Lost count of the amount of times either Leitch or Hutton had the ball 30 yards out and there was no movement at either side. An aimless ball into the box was the only option.

Blame the defence all you want but Ferguson has to come off his line at some point, to take the pressure off.

Edit: Fair play to Alloa they all stuck to their tasks and really never gave us a sniff.

No, You cannot blame him ! he did make some good saves today !

How can he be blameless? Far from convincing coming off his line, too slow far too often and also plays us into some serious pressure. He can't catch the ball and is also far too quiet to be a goalkeeper.

No, You cannot blame him ! he did make some good saves today !

Granted, but we have lost countless goals because he doesn't command his 6 yard box. It's obviously his age and I am not saying drop him. Just make a nuisance of himself so the opposition don't have a simple header.

5 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

How can he be blameless? Far from convincing coming off his line, too slow far too often and also plays us into some serious pressure. He can't catch the ball and is also far too quiet to be a goalkeeper.

You've touched upon a taboo subject. You're not allowed to criticise Ferguson. In my view he's as bad as the back four in giving goals away. Based on a good display in a cup tie last year I think T W say a £ sign and we've had to pay the price. Now just wait for the abuse!

losing goals , Every team loses goals ! so how do they , easy answer because they make mistakes , every player/team does,  organisation and tactics help to alleviate human failure and lack of ( confidence (which may apply to airdrie), as i said before our manager seems to have sorted our habit of giving away silly goals , so where does the blame lie there if we continued to do so , see where i am going with this ? IMO your tactics and manager are the problem , you have decent players believe me you have !!.

Another very good three points after the win last week at Hampden.

For the second week in a row Jim Goodwin managed to put out a starting eleven that I can't imagine any fan predicted. Despite going 2-0 up ( and it should have been 3 or 4) I don't think we looked totally comfortable with the formation and were a better unit after Hetherington came on for Spence at half-time.

Flannigan on the bench and McCluskey starting is hard to fathom. I thought Mackin did well up front.

Airdrie were dangerous going forwards first half, but otherwise not great.

1 minute ago, printer said:

Another very good three points after the win last week at Hampden.

For the second week in a row Jim Goodwin managed to put out a starting eleven that I can't imagine any fan predicted. Despite going 2-0 up ( and it should have been 3 or 4) I don't think we looked totally comfortable with the formation and were a better unit after Hetherington came on for Spence at half-time.

Flannigan on the bench and McCluskey starting is hard to fathom. I thought Mackin did well up front.

Airdrie were dangerous going forwards first half, but otherwise not great.

Mackin looked as bad for your team as he did when with us on loan. Just my opinion but Spence is much better, although you are right that Hetherington coming on did tighten up the game in the second half.

He may well opt for the same team as last week, try and stay strong defensively and build from there.
I'd argue against the same approach though. No disrespect meant, but I'd say Airdrie are a better, certainly more dangerous team going forward than Queens Park.
I still don't agree with leaving your best players on the bench. We have touted the Marr situation on here, but you can at least lay some case that McKeown is like for like. Cawley and Flannigan though, certainly not. I can't think of a club in world football that regularly leaves their best players on the bench. Credit to the manager for last week- very professional display where everything went to plan. But it still remains a concern for me if he doesn't start either (or both) of those players mentioned today.
I think we will stick with 2 up top today so that leaves even less scope for either to get in the starting lineup.

I thought it would be the same team roughly but what do we know lol, having said that i thought stevie hertherington should have started.

Yeah fully agree that they are a better team going forward just not so good at the defending part. Having said all of that i was one of the people who made a bit of a joke about mensing signing for airdrie but i thought he was fantastic today for yourselves, handled everything thrown at him.

You are a man in the know, where was marr today have you any idea? I would ask wasps1 but he seems to have fallen of the face of the earth.

3 hours ago, waysider said:

You've touched upon a taboo subject. You're not allowed to criticise Ferguson. In my view he's as bad as the back four in giving goals away. Based on a good display in a cup tie last year I think T W say a £ sign and we've had to pay the price. Now just wait for the abuse!

Exactly. Far too young to be a first choice keeper playing week in and week out- rooted to his line more often than not- he has cost us a good few goals this year. Yet, as you say dare to question him and face to outrage of the support who seem to be blinded to his faults.

Exactly. Far too young to be a first choice keeper playing week in and week out- rooted to his line more often than not- he has cost us a good few goals this year. Yet, as you say dare to question him and face to outrage of the support who seem to be blinded to his faults.

I don't think age should be a barrier. Scott Bain played virtually a full season for us at 18.

4 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Ps. Anyone else notice the new tannoy announcer? emoji14.png

Yes. Massive improvement.already. Even remembered to do the half-time scores, and didn't bombard us with ear-splitting Coldplay until the second we kicked off.

I'm in two minds about linking to this, but someone else is bound to - apparently Wasps1 is currently spending his time threatening this site's owner with legal action over being banned. First post is here, with more on the following pages. Just look for Div's posts, if you can't be arsed wading through it all.

Anyway, very entertaining game today, and it's great to see us putting together a bit of form against other promotion-chasing sides. What a man Andy Graham is  :wub:

Yes. Massive improvement.already. Even remembered to do the half-time scores, and didn't bombard us with ear-splitting Coldplay until the second we kicked off.
I'm in two minds about linking to this, but someone else is bound to - apparently Wasps1 is currently spending his time threatening this site's owner with legal action over being banned. First post is here, with more on the following pages. Just look for Div's posts, if you can't be arsed wading through it all.
Anyway, very entertaining game today, and it's great to see us putting together a bit of form against other promotion-chasing sides. What a man Andy Graham is  :wub:

What an absolute walloper of a man. Hopefully never to be seen at the Recs again!

Wonder if any of the mods would be able to tell if the dickturpin account on here was him as well.. I have my suspicions it was.

7 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm in two minds about linking to this, but someone else is bound to - apparently Wasps1 is currently spending his time threatening this site's owner with legal action over being banned. First post is here, with more on the following pages. Just look for Div's posts, if you can't be arsed wading through 

Ooft 

solicitor.JPG.1213295cfeb864ca84e218a33ce8b2ff.jpg.8f72e913734fca1a3e42f4d6d03455b3.jpg

6 hours ago, pencils said:

What an absolute walloper of a man. Hopefully never to be seen at the Recs again!

Wonder if any of the mods would be able to tell if the dickturpin account on here was him as well.. I have my suspicions it was.

They can, they confirmed before he was the old wasps1212 alias. He probably was dickturpin. 

Anyway, good win yesterday and great to put a couple of wins together. Hopefully we can keep this going and pull away from the pack. Still not convinced about the tinkering but can't argue with back to back wins. 

Archived