Berwick City vs. Elgin Rangers

The Darren Lavery goalscoring express is to make it two in a row this Saturday with the Borderers taking on the Black and Whites at Shielfield.

Berwick have won two of their last three games, with a draw to Stirling sandwiched inbetween victories against Forfar and Annan. Coughlin's gold and black clad boys can rise to fifth in the standings if they win and Montrose lose to the league leaders.

Elgin have the same recent record, with a draw versus Forfar separating two wins against Clyde and Edinburgh City. With two games in hand over Arbroath, the Moray boys desperately need a win to stay on the Lichties' heels in the race for second place.

Given clashing colours, expect Elgin to turn out in their blue and red change kit.

58ad5c35ee305_berwick_rangers_2016-2017-1st1.gif.a1e3b844c8028dc234c47ec7ee2081e9.gif58ad5c4cccfa0_shielfield-park1.jpg.9284e46a62b4d8939bcc5a27fe01c049.jpg58ad5c6352bb0_elgin_city_2015-2016-2nd1.gif.cd0b904b4b80bcfea718a3055460bfca.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Yellow Feet said:

This was painful to read and had rightly been ignored but it's Friday so we may as well say something.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I'll endeavour to make it less eloquent next time - maybe more pictures instead of words?

1 minute ago, DutchBorderer said:

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I'll endeavour to make it less eloquent next time - maybe more pictures instead of words?

Just ignore the silly twat. Took me a while, but he ain't worth the keystrokes.

Match preview just out. There is always someone previously injured who doesn't get a mention. Last week Mckinlay, this week Notman.

Personally, I'd say Rutherford and Mckinlay should start in place of Donkor and Murrell, with Mckenna up front. If fit, I'd have Notman for McKirdy too.

I would also poison Sutherland's pre-match tea.

20 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Just ignore the silly twat. Took me a while, but he ain't worth the keystrokes.

Match preview just out. There is always someone previously injured who doesn't get a mention. Last week Mckinlay, this week Notman.

Personally, I'd say Rutherford and Mckinlay should start in place of Donkor and Murrell, with Mckenna up front. If fit, I'd have Notman for McKirdy too.

I would also poison Sutherland's pre-match tea.

I'd set up same as the start of last weekend's game, 3-5-2, with McKinlay in for Donker on the left of defence, moving Spark over to the right and leaving Pat central. Unsure on your striking change, wouldn't be averse to it as think Rutherford offers a bit more in physicality, but I think both work well as a pairing too. Can't change the midfield after last week though!

With any luck the injury Sutherland picked up last week will be serious enough to rule him out, but in Cameron & Gunn we're all too familiar with the other threats they offer.

3 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I'd set up same as the start of last weekend's game, 3-5-2, with McKinlay in for Donker on the left of defence, moving Spark over to the right and leaving Pat central. Unsure on your striking change, wouldn't be averse to it as think Rutherford offers a bit more in physicality, but I think both work well as a pairing too. Can't change the midfield after last week though!

With any luck the injury Sutherland picked up last week will be serious enough to rule him out, but in Cameron & Gunn we're all too familiar with the other threats they offer.

Aye, midfield was good last week, and McKirdy will probably improve too. Won't be disappointed if Notman is on the bench, but just a smidge worried we may need more defensive nous/experience against Elgin.

Hope you are right, and Sutherland is injured. And Gunn. And Cameron. And 8 others.

Just now, Redcar said:

Aye, midfield was good last week, and McKirdy will probably improve too. Won't be disappointed if Notman is on the bench, but just a smidge worried we may need more defensive nous/experience against Elgin.

Hope you are right, and Sutherland is injured. And Gunn. And Cameron. And 8 others.

Was definitely a tough one for McKirdy to come into. He barely got an inch of space on the ball and it showed. He was getting a bit of stick from a few around me but to his credit, I thought the majority of his attempted player were 'positive' in that he was trying to move it forwards and taking risks. I've enjoyed the increased energy and tempo in central midfield in Notman's absence.

I know Notman can add a lot stucturally but I think his absence has been part of the reason we've been a bit more successful in recent weeks. Notman is culpable for slowing things at times and it can kill momentum/counters. That said, I'm sure Lavery said Notman has been helping him hugely in adapting to central midfield and last week was his best performance yet from there, and as you say, we may need that experience against the division's highest scorers. One for Coughlin decide!

I think Shane will be ok, if not Gunny is an able replacement. Hopefully he's got some confidence back after a very well taken goal last week.

Loved that goal - back to his best - and you could see from the way he celebrated that scoring after so long on the bench meant a lot to him.

What chance of this game being off? Has the storm hit Berwick?

Pitch update

After early morning rain the Shielfield pitch was covered in the bottom left wing area.

The club are hopeful all will be ok for the game v Elgin and have fully been in touch with the visitors, league and match referee.

The position is that the Referee will do a formal further

^^^^^ From the Offcial Berwick Facebook account, all should be well.

Hopefully game will be on, last thing we need is a midweek trip to Berwick. Having said that according to press, Sutherland with a late fitness test, McHardy struggling and Nicholson suspended. Might be a day to test squad depth. Hope your right about Gunny but will take more than a goal to convince me that he is back to his best and heart is in it. Hope so though. Tough game regardless. 

Archived