Berwick City vs. Elgin Rangers

Thought McKenna's first yellow was harsh. A typical bottling "I'll just book both of them" decision by Coco the clown, when the Elgin player was much the worst offender.

However.... I thought at the time that he could have got a straight red for the 2nd incident, and the highlights haven't changed my mind. Shite free kick (Scullion should have smacked it), so Mckenna loses the plot and tries to smash the high rebound in by powering straight through the defender's neck. Utterly reckless, especially when you are already on a yellow.

Generally though, the refs sheer awfulness was summed up in Coff's interview. He got dozens of little decisions inexplicably wrong, for both sides. I wonder why he continues - he surely can't enjoy getting slagged off for 90 minutes by both sets of players, both managers and all the fans, the horrible little tit.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think our players helped McKenna on the first yellow, he was pulled to the ground and did well to not respond but as it turned into a bit of a scrap(players rushing too get involved) the referee took the easy option to book both. Second, reckless and a yellow.

Looked another decent display and at least we can expect 3 points from future matches again. Six weeks ago we were dreadful and despite a lucky win at Cowdenbeath looked favs to finish bottom.

We are not suddenly brilliant but vastly improved with recent additions to the squad. 9 points from the next 3 fixtures is achievable but 7 would be a good haul and just about secure safety. When the pressure hopefully lifts, it will be interesting to see what this team is capable of with a view to next season.

There is a host reasons for the improvement, Lavery and McKenna returning to form and giving us energy and creativity in the middle of the park, the biggest difference. Scullion deserves a mention for the leadership and professionalism he has brought to the team.

McKenna may well have been pulled to the ground but they were both hanging on to each other's shirts in the first place. Second yellow could easily have been a straight red but it looks worse in the Berwick highlights than the Elgin ones, different angle. Gunn was in line when the ball was played for his offside goal and McHardy's was a fair challenge. The penalty shout would probably be given 9 times out of 10 but it was a mistimed challenge rather than malice.

Berwick played well, particularly in the second half but struggled to hit the target. Happy to come away with 3 points away from home, but it wasn't pleasant to watch.

Archived