United v Ton

3 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

VT makes a valiant attempt, here and elsewhere, to win the Oscar for goalkeeping coach staying in his bedroom all night to accentuate the negatives. Maybe he should try being a goalie and see how he does.

ezgif_com_crop.gif

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Funny that I thought the Edge had a stinker today, was missing headers, left, right and centre - probably his worst game so far.

Ratings for the lolz:
Bell - 7 - Didn't make any massive mistakes, not seen the goal back, but looked like he could have done better.

Dixon - 7 - Another solid performance
Edge - 6 - Missed too many headers in the first half, improved in the second, but his worst game for a while
Durnan - 8 - Kept the edge in check, took his goal well, another good performance
Van der Struik (spelling) - 6 - Didn't get forward enough until late on, crossing was poor

Flood - 5 - Had a stinker, plenty effort but was really poor
Telfer - 8 - Saved the midfield today, best performance from him in months

Andreu - 4 - Anonymous again, pish poor, don't know why he gets a start
Fraser - 7 - Impressed with Fraser, put plenty effort in, tried to go past players, which he sometimes refuses to do, missed a big chance though
Van der Velden - 5 - Played out of position, he's not a wide player, he's a best a number 10, won very few headers and didn't provide much for Mikkelsen

Mikkelsen - 6 - Nobody to knock the ball down to for 55mins, linked up well with Murray for 10 minutes before he got hooked

subs

Murray - 6 - Came off the bench and changed the game for us, should have scored, but plenty effort and looked dangerous
Cootes - 5 - Much better than Andreu and brought a new direction of attack, unfortunately should have been brought on for Tony not Mikkelsen.

Andreu has been poor the last couple of games and any player dropping form risks not being picked.  The problem is that he's our best player by a fair margin and someone capable of scoring or creating a goal from nothing.

1 hour ago, madton said:

Anyone know how many away fans there were??

I reckon 350-400.  On that basis we probably had about 800 or so less than we've been having for home games.  I'm not surprised given our recent form though the booing from a small section of the support at full time was a bit harsh.

Actually thought Fraser was our best player yesterday, although he suffered from having f**k all in the way of options in front of him, at least until we went with the bizarre front two of Murray and Durnan.

Edge wasn't great, and Andreu was stinking. The less said about Mikkelsen and Van Der Velden, the better.

Edge had a poor game I thought, his distribution from the back was awful but the same could be said for the rest of the defence. It would bother me as much if we had forwards who could challenge in the air or run the channels but we don't so it is a total waste launching it forward at every opportunity.

Edge had a poor game I thought, his distribution from the back was awful but the same could be said for the rest of the defence. It would bother me as much if we had forwards who could challenge in the air or run the channels but we don't so it is a total waste launching it forward at every opportunity.

There's a case for starting with Durnan up front. It's scary that I'm not even joking here.

4 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

There's a case for starting with Durnan up front. It's scary that I'm not even joking here.

I would give it a go. If we had a bit more breathing space between us and Morton/Falkirk I would be using it as a chance to try different things out. Durnan upfront with Andreu just in behind, Nicholls and Murray out wide just firing in crosses as often as possible with Robson and (slim pickings) the other fullback overlapping. 

Edit: I'd be even tempted to try someone like Spittal in the rightback position if we were going for attacking width. 

When teams are utter dogshit fans tend to pick and choose games.
You must remember Dundee averaging around 2000 in First Division?

I've watched " utter dog shite" for most of my life. But there my team so still go.
And can't ever remember that average being so low ?

3 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Actually thought Fraser was our best player yesterday, although he suffered from having f**k all in the way of options in front of him, at least until we went with the bizarre front two of Murray and Durnan.

Edge wasn't great, and Andreu was stinking. The less said about Mikkelsen and Van Der Velden, the better.

Fraser was his usual yesterday, some nice football followed by bad decision making; the Morton players didn't try to bully him yesterday, he doesn't cope well with that.

One thing in general, I'd take him off corners - it's always a floated ball with no pace.  I'd like to see Dixon taking corners from the left.

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

My issue with United right now is not so much that we're shit. I can cope with being shit. It's more that we're really boring to watch.

Spot on.

Yesterday was just really really dull.

We have been shit before and you get angry and frustrated.

Yesterday was just sitting with pals discussing TV or what we were having for tea. You don't need to pay 20 quid to do that.

3 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

My issue with United right now is not so much that we're shit. I can cope with being shit. It's more that we're really boring to watch.

This. A thousand times this. 

I remember us being shite but at least there was an element of excitement about it (see beating St.Johnstone 3-2 at McDiarmid in 2001).

Watching Dunfermline last night and I thought that I would like to see that kind of football every week, even if they don't win their games they have aways been decent to watch in terms of excitement (IMO. Dunfermline fans might tell me otherwise).

20 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

When teams are utter dogshit fans tend to pick and choose games.

You must remember Dundee averaging around 2000 in First Division?

He has a point. You are in second place to a superior Hibs team (who have themselves struggled to get out of this league) You retained your great home record after playing another top four team... and you're considering not going back this season. What, even for the playoffs ?   In terms of Dundee Utd's history these are clearly lean times but surely this is when your support is most needed. I suspect you over reacted to Saturday's poorish game - but the result was a fairly obvious one tbf

Cornbeef is a gormless happy-clapping moron so it's best to file that contribution in the bin.

The decisive result for McKinnon's fairly turgid style of play is obviously whether you win promotion or not. If you do then he can just about justify shitfesting out of the division; if not then it will have been an abject campaign. As it stands Dundee United are more likely to stay down than go up, and they're not developing an exciting new side that would compensate for any failure. It's just a bunch of older decent players and absolutely gubbins ringers like van der Velden.

Much like Dundee in their 17 million failed promotion campaigns come to think of it.

Cornbeef is a gormless happy-clapping moron so it's best to file that contribution in the bin.

The decisive result for McKinnon's fairly turgid style of play is obviously whether you win promotion or not. If you do then he can just about justify shitfesting out of the division; if not then it will have been an abject campaign. As it stands Dundee United are more likely to stay down than go up, and they're not developing an exciting new side that would compensate for any failure. It's just a bunch of older decent players and absolutely gubbins ringers like van der Velden.

Much like Dundee in their 17 million failed promotion campaigns come to think of it.

Last time Morton in top league!!!???

When was the last time that we ran up two million pounds of debt to "the saviour" "C'lum" Melville, only to fail to get out of the second tier at every attempt and then snake all the creditors in a second administration? Oh that's right: never.

Dundee remain in a league of their own when it comes to utterly gormless, ruinous failure at this tier of football.

Archived