Pests

gavin_3110

Anyone ever had issues with household pests.

Have ended up with mice in my loft. Managed to locate their entrance and block it off but trying to dispatch the remaining ones.

Left some poison out, but they never touched it. Some of the traps they run into and tip over, not a bite. Saw one in the flesh last night, tried to snare him under a metal mixing bowl, caught the wee chap with the edge and cut him in two. Grizzly business.

If I can't get the last stragglers I might just torch the place. Any advice?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

Have ended up with mice in my loft. Managed to locate their entrance and block it off but trying to dispatch the remaining ones.

Left some poison out, but they never touched it. Some of the traps they run into and tip over, not a bite. Saw one in the flesh last night, tried to snare him under a metal mixing bowl, caught the wee chap with the edge and cut him in two. Grizzly business.

borrow @Bigmouth Strikes Again's cat.

25 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

I got rid of ours by throwing the strongest poison you can buy in things like teabags all over the house, hundreds of them, under furniture etc. If you have pets it would kill them too though. This was a few years ago and they haven't been back. A guy working for Rentokill told me to really overdo it as they learn quickly to avoid the poison or traps. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I got rid of ours by throwing the strongest poison you can buy in things like teabags all over the house, hundreds of them, under furniture etc. If you have pets, or children, it would kill them too though. This was a few years ago and they haven't been back. A guy working for Rentokill told me to really overdo it as they learn quickly to avoid the poison or traps. 

I've fixed that for you.

Had a problem with wasps in a little shed last summer.  Usually I check all the corners of the sheds and garage but not frequently enough it would seem.  Kept to themselves largely, but not when I needed to cut the grass where the mower would send them absolutely mental if it went into their half of the garden.

Think it was actually somebody on here that suggested lining the entry point with ant powder, which actually did the trick to the point I was able to kit up like Dexter and smash the the bike out myself with the few left alive being rather lethargic. Was quite impressed with the solid honeycomb thing which I never realised they build under all that paper.

50 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

See the Show us your pussy thread. No more pests and when they do show up they been semi-eaten in some amusing fashion. My cat is spectacularly stupid and even he is a killing machine. 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

See the Show us your pussy thread. No more pests and when they do show up they been semi-eaten in some amusing fashion. My cat is spectacularly stupid and even he is a killing machine. 

I've got two rabbits, but they don't seem to be much use.

Our building in Glasgow had mice.
The woman downstairs put out humane traps like cages so she could release them outside, and sound repellents.

They didn't work and cost a fortune. I just put down normal wood traps with peanut butter. Killed 4 of them. Got one wee fucker through the face.

Our building in Glasgow had mice. The woman downstairs put out humane traps like cages so she could release them outside, and sound repellents.

They didn't work and cost a fortune. I just put down normal wood traps with peanut butter. Killed 4 of them. Got one wee fucker through the face.

Years ago our cat brought a mouse into the house. I bought a humane trap, one of the see saw type ones that traps them alive. Shoved a bit of peanut butter in and checked it next day - nothing. Totally forgot about it till the next week until my dad asked if the trap worked. Opened it up to reveal a dead mouse.

Not so humane.

The sticky traps did a great job of catching them in a flat I shared once.  I'd leave them in there and my flatmate used to dispose of them when he got home, got a feeling he used to just chucked the trap with the mouse squeaking in it in the skip outside and leave it to starve to death.  Not a very nice way to go but I was happy to leave it in his hands.

Archived