Horizon Zero Dawn

Fide

So I completed it about the 40 hour mark, last week I think (believe I was 30 hours in on my last post). What a great, great game.

Currently on my way like one or two others have said to attempting to either platinum/100% it, something I haven't tried with a game since Hitman Absolution (got 43/46 achievements then gave up).

Highly recommend this game.

Enjoying this, only query so far really is the suggested levels for quests (I'm playing on normal difficulty). As with most of these games I normally potter about doing as many side quests as possible and end up slightly over levelled for the main story ones.

On this though, I was level 15 doing a main story quest with suggested level 12. Yet I had to take out 2 x level 23 corrupted glinthawks, and 1 level 23 corrupted fire bellowback. The glinthawks were a massive notch up in difficulty due to their rapid movement and if they hit you they took about 80% of your health in one blow. Took just about all of my good ammo and health potions to get past that one. Same with the first cauldron I came to, suggested level 8 thinking this would be a piece of piss and this time a level 18 fire bellowback at the end. I get that enemies generally level up as you go along but are they scaled up if you're over-levelled?

I think the mission levels is more of a guide only, they don't level up if you go into a mission 'over levelled' there were ones I found tougher than I expected also. The best I can say is while you may be at a higher level, make sure you update your carrying capacity etc and modify your weapons as you receive them as well. You could be level 50 with all the skills available, but if you have the most basic weapons, then you will still find it a bit of a slog.

As you progress through the game, you will see that Glinthawks are a piece of piss in grand scheme of things. (Smash it with fire)

Just got pulled back into this, wasn't quite at the stage of chucking it but was just going to fire through the main story quests however will keep going in my current mode. Even if it means I forget who half the characters are.

I do feel the combat is a bit samey despite the variety of machines, find it a bit odd there's no shield or block, not that it would do much good when a Snapmaw tries to belt you with its tail mind you but thought it might be an addition in combat vs humans.

Also the cover system, aye you're 50 feet up a mountain standing behind a rock but a machine will hunt you down in seconds. Kneeling down in 2 foot high grass- invisible.

Still very good though. Done all the tallnecks so the map has opened up and just completed the Maker's End quest in the main story.

Is that the one up north? Think I'm just ahead of you at the moment in storyline terms. I've been to the old missile site or whatever it is next, up in the right hand corner of the map. That's an exciting bit.

Just finished the main story, think that'll do me for this game, thought it was very good but not one I've got the urge to play to 100%.

Few things annoyed me that are common to this type of open world game- the jumping about in the dark in the ruins in the main story quests trying to find the way forward or out without retracing your steps a million times in almost identical rooms, and related to that the endless parkour climbs. 

Also, it's too easy to get the best gear, well before the last few quests I had all the top weapons / outfits / mods and several thousand shards burning a hole in my pocket with nothing to spend it on apart from topping up health potions because I was too lazy to brew them.

Linking that back, part of the reason I don't feel like collecting the rest of the cups / metal flowers is the "financial" reward for them is piss poor.

Thumbs up for the main story though, excellently done and with a very obvious setup for a sequel in the post-credits scene. Also agree that battering things with tearblaster or the equivalent arrows then making it commit suicide via tripwires is great fun.

Edited by Fuctifano
typos