Horizon Zero Dawn

Fide

14 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Agree on the upgrade/ crafting system being poorly explained or at least glossed over. I'm gonna have to spend a bit of time reading up on it or I fear I'll need to do what I done with The Witcher and start over.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way!  

I went through my auto-saves and it looked like most of them were from the Cauldron and I was at level 11 or 12 experience.  Got down to the bottom and it went from level 11 in my second last save to level 5 in the last one.  Thankfully the second last one was before I went into that Cauldron so I've been able to save the majority of my progress.  Just need to work out how to get the upgrades necessary to deal heavier damage now.

I was making what I thought was good progress and enjoying the game but I've ended up in Cauldron Sigma hopelessly underprepared.  I was struggling to beat the bellowback.  I watched a YouTube video and saw someone annihilate it with arrow shots doing hundreds of points of damage while the best I'm doing per shot is about 23,  I don't think the upgrade/crafting system is well explained at the start.
Think I'm going to have to start again now as from what I've read you can't quit a Cauldron once you start one.

Yeah you can. If you're in a cauldron , go to the map and fast travel to a camp fire. That will get you out. I realise this message is probably too late in stopping you from starting again.

Happy hunting.

22 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way!  

I went through my auto-saves and it looked like most of them were from the Cauldron and I was at level 11 or 12 experience.  Got down to the bottom and it went from level 11 in my second last save to level 5 in the last one.  Thankfully the second last one was before I went into that Cauldron so I've been able to save the majority of my progress.  Just need to work out how to get the upgrades necessary to deal heavier damage now.

What bows did you/do you have? The Carja and Shadow Carja bows do more base damage and have more upgrade slots. Getting the Carja bow that had the tearblaster arrows (remove any armour and components - pretty handy for the deathbringers, ThunderJaws and Stormbirds) and fire arrows is a good place to start. For that bellowback, at the level your at, you might want to think about using the Tripcaster (if you haven't bought one, buy one) and setting a series of blast wires, and lay down some detonating traps as well. Run around and lure him into the various traps and wires. The basic sling fires freeze bombs which is something the bellowback is quite weak to, keep lobbing those at him as well, until the Freeze damage icon maxes out, at which point he'll start taking decent damage (Carja and Shadow carja blast slings are a must for later in the game IMO)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Fide said:

The DLC, The Frozen Wilds, is out today.

£14.39 in the PSN sale.

Mine is downloading now.

Seemed like ages until it was released when it was announced.  I will most definitely be picking this up, really enjoyed the base game.  Haven't played it since the night after my wee boy was born.  With his mum in hospital with him recovering I managed to get through the final boss before thinking I was done with it.

3 hours ago, forameus said:

Seemed like ages until it was released when it was announced.  I will most definitely be picking this up, really enjoyed the base game.  Haven't played it since the night after my wee boy was born.  With his mum in hospital with him recovering I managed to get through the final boss before thinking I was done with it.

Off topic, but how are they both now?

1 hour ago, Fide said:

Off topic, but how are they both now?

They're good now, cheers mate :) just had to stay in the first night or so before she threatened the midwives to either let her home, or she'd leave herself.   6 months old now, and he's a wee chubby star who unfortunately for him looks just like me.

17 minutes ago, Saigon Raider said:

Never finished the base game - got a bit bored really, maybe it was too soon after completing Witcher 3 but I didn't think it compared at all. 

Maybe after a break I will go back and give it another go.

It's certainly not as good as W3, and the melee combat was pish, but as the game wore on I really got into it.  

• 3 months later...

About 10 hours into this so far and really enjoying it. Like the fact that most of the weapons are pretty underpowered compared to the machines so you've got to plan your attacks and not just go head to head with them.

Just faced the Rockbreaker in the quarry and it was so bloody frustrating, managed to kill it on about my 20th attempt and never felt more proud of myself whilst playing a computer game before!

• 2 weeks later...
Took me ages to kill the two corrupted Rockbreakers. Had to abandon any semblance of a strategy and just wear them down over a half hour.

This was the last corrupted zone I had to complete. Managed to override 2 snapmaws on the other side of the river who done most of the fighting for me. I just stood and fired the occasional arrow and it was done before I know it!!

• 2 weeks later...