The Photography Thread

19 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Right.  I'm prepared for the ripping I'll get for this, but I'm trying to find the location that an old photo I have.

The photo in question may, or may not, feature a very young KnightswoodBear.  

It's taken on the Forth and Clyde Canal, somewhere between Maryhill and Clydebank (I think), but I'm trying to narrow it down a bit.

IMG-20180418-WA0000.jpg

That's a great look. Like a young Souness minus the 'tache. Nice wheels too - I was so chuffed when I got a set of silver pads for my bmx. 

51 minutes ago, Leeds Saint said:

Struggling with posting pics but I'd say you were behind rotherwood avenue at the top of baldwin avenue.

One of my mates has said the same thing.  Apparently the canal path is on Google Maps, so going to have a look later. 

Cheers! 

edit:  BOOM

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9043549,-4.3400209,3a,75y,279.94h,81.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfsFH4vWXCep0e-odQZu5Ew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Right.  I'm prepared for the ripping I'll get for this, but I'm trying to find the location that an old photo I have.
It's taken on the Forth and Clyde Canal, somewhere between Maryhill and Clydebank (I think), but I'm trying to narrow it down a bit.

IMG-20180418-WA0000.thumb.jpg.e1618e07b308af9cda42617279d31074.jpg
If it's on a bus route, Hedgecutter's your man!

6 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

One of my mates has said the same thing.  Apparently the canal path is on Google Maps, so going to have a look later. 

Cheers! 

edit:  BOOM

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9043549,-4.3400209,3a,75y,279.94h,81.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfsFH4vWXCep0e-odQZu5Ew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I see they've let the Italian POW's go home and knocked down their barracks.

8 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

IMG-20180418-WA0000.jpg

Was it the day of the walk or maybe an Old Firm game?

• 1 month later...

Spent a bit of time reading up about a decent compact camera for around £200 that was better than a smartphone and the one below was the best I saw.  Actually got it £30 cheaper in Curry's.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Cyber-SHOT-DSC-HX60V-30-multiplier_x/dp/B00IFEWK56/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526675064&sr=8-3&keywords=sony+hx60v

I'm a complete novice to photography but been getting interested.  Any good website/blogs etc for people like myself to learn to take better shots (I know it's mainly learning through experience) and also to learn more about the technical side of things, e.g. this camera has a full manual mode but I don't have much of a clue how to go about it with things like shutter times (fast is sharp, slow is blurry I believe), apertures and things like contrast/saturation etc as well. 

Edited by Boostin' Kev

On 18/05/2018 at 21:31, Boostin' Kev said:

Spent a bit of time reading up about a decent compact camera for around £200 that was better than a smartphone and the one below was the best I saw.  Actually got it £30 cheaper in Curry's.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Cyber-SHOT-DSC-HX60V-30-multiplier_x/dp/B00IFEWK56/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526675064&sr=8-3&keywords=sony+hx60v

I'm a complete novice to photography but been getting interested.  Any good website/blogs etc for people like myself to learn to take better shots (I know it's mainly learning through experience) and also to learn more about the technical side of things, e.g. this camera has a full manual mode but I don't have much of a clue how to go about it with things like shutter times (fast is sharp, slow is blurry I believe), apertures and things like contrast/saturation etc as well. 

I would recommend looking out for some of Scott Kelby's books if you can, he was the one I started reading from and he explains the more complicated side of things really well imo.  He has a training website IIRC that offers some free tutorial videos for beginners which may be worth a look also.

Been Osprey-hunting again for the first time since last July. Maybe post a few here or the bird thread when I get round to editing them. Had to feel sorry for the group of photographers, pretty much all from England, who paid top dollar and were in the hide from 4.30 am for 5 hours, and saw nowt. I went in at noon and paid £15 for a half day unsupervised. Plenty Osprey action, plus a heron that killed a 1lb trout then nearly choked itself trying to swallow it :lol:

Great photos - are you using manual exposure only?   Recently back from Baltic and eyesight now a problem when it come to checking the exposure.  Have tried AP to try and counter this.  Lack of using a tripod is also an issue but on organised trips difficult to use in set time.

IMG_0289a.jpg

IMG_0595a.jpg