The Photography Thread

53 minutes ago, throbber said:

I obviously didn’t take this myself but saw it on Facebook and thought it was pretty cool.

IMG_1520360793.796361.jpg

That appeared on my facebook as well, it's incredible how big they are. I've seen them in Oban and on Mull last year. Saw some lovely wildlife on Mull and off the coast actually.

IMG_8629.JPG

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8725.JPG

IMG_7982.JPG

IMG_6357.JPG

26885648118_c0d4d50508_z.jpg

Sunrise at Westhaven, Carnoustie this morning. It basically lasted the three minutes it took to disappear behind a big f**k-off cloud, meaning that I'd got up at 5:20am (waking up a displeased other half in the process) for a 30 mile round trip to basically take 2 photos. Landscape photography is great fun :lol:

Also managed to get these two images shortlisted in Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year, though that's as far as they got. Can't complain tbh, the first one was just a quick hand held shot immediately after stopping for a desperate pish when biking into Ben Alder :lol:

37994311672_98e0c6008b_z.jpg

32853289124_96c4522f7b_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went up to Golspie for the Karts on Sunday....it was nice and sunny when I left.

26141838517_83482c187a_c.jpg

26164395237_8f23a7a954_c.jpg

39226330200_9648955481_c.jpg

27164356968_efdf068e91_c.jpg

40142047195_0df5efbfa2_c.jpg

I'm currently trying to justify switching systems, from Sony to Nikon.  Looking at the D500 and getting the Sigma 150-600 Sports as I'm constantly wanting more reach when shooting sports at the moment.  May need to sell a kidney.

4 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Went up to Golspie for the Karts on Sunday....it was nice and sunny when I left.

26141838517_83482c187a_c.jpg

26164395237_8f23a7a954_c.jpg

39226330200_9648955481_c.jpg

27164356968_efdf068e91_c.jpg

40142047195_0df5efbfa2_c.jpg

I'm currently trying to justify switching systems, from Sony to Nikon.  Looking at the D500 and getting the Sigma 150-600 Sports as I'm constantly wanting more reach when shooting sports at the moment.  May need to sell a kidney.

Nice shots.

That's the set up I use. Sigma is a good lens but my god its heavy. Plus, out the box no guarantees it will be sharp so you'll need the dock and a good measure of patience to calibrate.

Need any info just give me a shout.

22 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Nice shots.

That's the set up I use. Sigma is a good lens but my god its heavy. Plus, out the box no guarantees it will be sharp so you'll need the dock and a good measure of patience to calibrate.

Need any info just give me a shout.

Thanks.  I'm not too worried about it being heavy, I would plan to have that on a monopod most of the time and use the Sony with the 70-200 as a 2nd shooter.   My only concern I have with that lens is having a narrower aperture would result in either lower shutter speeds (not a major issue for motorsports, but not ideal for sport photography) or increase the ISO, which is why I'm siding with the D500 over the Canon options just due to it's ISO performance.

Is it a D500 you are using? Any issues with battery life?

9 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Thanks.  I'm not too worried about it being heavy, I would plan to have that on a monopod most of the time and use the Sony with the 70-200 as a 2nd shooter.   My only concern I have with that lens is having a narrower aperture would result in either lower shutter speeds (not a major issue for motorsports, but not ideal for sport photography) or increase the ISO, which is why I'm siding with the D500 over the Canon options just due to it's ISO performance.

Is it a D500 you are using? Any issues with battery life?

Aye, had the D500 for a good year or so. Great camera and lightning quick. Ideal for sports and wildlife. Battery is absolutely fine and no issues whatsoever. I have a back up grip attached with a spare battery. Grip gives the camera a good balance.

Sigma Sport is a good lens but I have trouble hand held. Its just too heavy. Whack it on a tripod and jobs a good un

18 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Aye, had the D500 for a good year or so. Great camera and lightning quick. Ideal for sports and wildlife. Battery is absolutely fine and no issues whatsoever. I have a back up grip attached with a spare battery. Grip gives the camera a good balance.

Sigma Sport is a good lens but I have trouble hand held. Its just too heavy. Whack it on a tripod and jobs a good un

Reading a few forum post there was a few who had complained of the battery issue but they seems to be an early versions so good to hear.   

Do you use a UV filter on the front for protection or just allow for the hood to protect.  I'll be using it in rallies and fear a stone chipping the front element?

Another question, regarding the tripod socket, when shooting some sports I'll switch between landscape and portrait and in for motorsport will shot at an angle some time.  Would having it on a tripod/monopod with the tripod socket restrict that movement?

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

1 hour ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Reading a few forum post there was a few who had complained of the battery issue but they seems to be an early versions so good to hear.   

Do you use a UV filter on the front for protection or just allow for the hood to protect.  I'll be using it in rallies and fear a stone chipping the front element?

Another question, regarding the tripod socket, when shooting some sports I'll switch between landscape and portrait and in for motorsport will shot at an angle some time.  Would having it on a tripod/monopod with the tripod socket restrict that movement?

There is a tripord socket on the lens allowing you to switch between landscape and portrait mode quickly.   I always have a uv filter on my lens. It is cheaper to replace than a lens.

3 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

As Moonglum said there is a solid tri pod socket on the lens which is adjustable. I've never used a monopod but given the weight of the sport I'd be interested to know how it copes. I use a Manfrotto tripod with gimble head.

Regarding the UV filter, no I don't use one. Unless your prepared to pay £300+ for the Sigma one its a complete waste of time as you'd be putting cheap glass in front of expensive glass which will effect photo quality imo and defeats the purpose. The sport comes with a good size lens collar which should give you adequate protection.

Battery not a problem on the D500. I easily get a full day,

14 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

As Moonglum said there is a solid tri pod socket on the lens which is adjustable. I've never used a monopod but given the weight of the sport I'd be interested to know how it copes. I use a Manfrotto tripod with gimble head.

Regarding the UV filter, no I don't use one. Unless your prepared to pay £300+ for the Sigma one its a complete waste of time as you'd be putting cheap glass in front of expensive glass which will effect photo quality imo and defeats the purpose. The sport comes with a good size lens collar which should give you adequate protection.

Battery not a problem on the D500. I easily get a full day,

Any half decent monopod will cope with the Sport lens tbh. I only really use my tripod for the occasional landscape.

Awaiting delivery of what will be my second DSLR. Got my current one over 10 years ago, so I'm hoping the tech upgrade will compensate for a few more of my shortcomings as a photographer.

I've also made contact with an old training partner, who happens to be a bit of an expert on the wildlife photography front and seems keen to teach me some stuff. Although I did take over 100 pictures from a bird hide at the weekend with white balance set to "tungsten lighting", after he'd been using it. The trees were quite blue and the pink-footed geese were a bit blue-footed.

17 hours ago, sugna said:

Awaiting delivery of what will be my second DSLR. Got my current one over 10 years ago, so I'm hoping the tech upgrade will compensate for a few more of my shortcomings as a photographer.

I've also made contact with an old training partner, who happens to be a bit of an expert on the wildlife photography front and seems keen to teach me some stuff. Although I did take over 100 pictures from a bird hide at the weekend with white balance set to "tungsten lighting", after he'd been using it. The trees were quite blue and the pink-footed geese were a bit blue-footed.

You should be able to correct that in lighroom or photoshop Sugna.

I'm intending to make use of Lightroom in future, and the same pal has offered me some tutorial sessions.

Last weekends pics were probably not worth the effort. Although I can see that they might well be good practice subjects. Reed buntings were out in force, quite near the hide. Might give a couple of those a go.

37 minutes ago, sugna said:

I'm intending to make use of Lightroom in future, and the same pal has offered me some tutorial sessions.

Last weekends pics were probably not worth the effort. Although I can see that they might well be good practice subjects. Reed buntings were out in force, quite near the hide. Might give a couple of those a go.

I find Lightroom easier than photoshop tbh. Much quicker and user friendly.

Enjoy the tutorial. Once you get into it it's a great bit of kit if you shoot in Raw.