The Photography Thread

14 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Got a 20 last night at the camera club.  Instead of all the kingfishers, woodpeckers etc  stoating about I decided to enter this one which I modestly titled 'just a starling' :lol:

6841.thumb.jpg.4d3150b3f3bb31545d070f56015fbe8f.jpg

Beauty. Tack sharp.

Just goes to show eh.

What club you in? I'm in Kirkcaldy (when I can be bothered going).

On 12/02/2018 at 20:05, The Mantis said:

For general carrying around I use the Canon 400mm f/5.6 prime.

Do you use an extender on top of that?  I have the Canon 300mm f4 but it's just a tiny bit too short for the dolphin photos in my experience.  I've read that the 1.4x extender doesn't lose too much sharpness but haven't seen it in action.

3 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Do you use an extender on top of that?  I have the Canon 300mm f4 but it's just a tiny bit too short for the dolphin photos in my experience.  I've read that the 1.4x extender doesn't lose too much sharpness but haven't seen it in action.

No, the autofocus won't work with f/5.6 as it's too dim once the extender is on.

Edited by The Mantis

Yas, a photography thread. I always wondered if other folk on here were as keen as myself and judging some of the cracking pics they are. I've been at it about a year and a half now and spend about 90% of my spare time out and about with the camera. Here are a couple of my efforts...5a842830b07e6_LochLomondPierTest7.thumb.jpg.975fddadc5ebc9651642564db20e8468.jpg

5a8428c706f36_BuachailleandHutLongPortraitTest5.thumb.jpg.cfe2e50a28f7844105e875a3072262d1.jpg

Unfortunately these are the only two I have on my phone that seem to meet the max file size requirements on here. I'll try and resize a few others and fire them up.

25 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Yas, a photography thread. I always wondered if other folk on here were as keen as myself and judging some of the cracking pics they are. I've been at it about a year and a half now and spend about 90% of my spare time out and about with the camera. Here are a couple of my efforts...5a842830b07e6_LochLomondPierTest7.thumb.jpg.975fddadc5ebc9651642564db20e8468.jpg

5a8428c706f36_BuachailleandHutLongPortraitTest5.thumb.jpg.cfe2e50a28f7844105e875a3072262d1.jpg

Unfortunately these are the only two I have on my phone that seem to meet the max file size requirements on here. I'll try and resize a few others and fire them up.

Cracking shots. I recognise the cottage/mountain but can't place it.

Gives a clue!

1 hour ago, Stevo Fife said:

Gives a clue!

I've spent a good few nights in the wee hut at the back, when it was used by Lothian Region. The actual cottage is Lagangarbh which is owned by the SMC, at the bottom of the Buachaille.

7 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I've spent a good few nights in the wee hut at the back, when it was used by Lothian Region. The actual cottage is Lagangarbh which is owned by the SMC, at the bottom of the Buachaille.

Nah, not the one I was thinking off. Cracking photo though.

11 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Cracking pair of shots. Where's the first one? I love a good jetty/long exposure combination :lol:

Gives a clue!

Thank you.

As The Mantis confirmed above it is indeed Lagangarbh hut/cottage which sits at the foot of the Buachaille at the top of Glen Etive. It's a very popular spot but if you arrive pre sunrise you tend to get it nice and quiet.

It's only an hour odd from my house so I'm lucky enough to be able to spend a fair whack of time exploring there and the surrounding areas. A lot of the shots from Glencoe are the cliche landscape shots but they are the cliche shots for a reason and everytime I go up I try to look for something a little different.

Cracking pair of shots. Where's the first one? I love a good jetty/long exposure combination [emoji38]

Cheers.

The jetty is on Loch Lomond, maybe around 10 minutes beyond Tarbet and directly across from the Inversnaid Hotel. It's a really nice spot actually, there's some pretty cool old tree stumps submerged in the water at the shore which make for a decent shot as well.

Loch Lomond is right on my doorstep but I actually struggle quite a bit there. I find there is often a lot of empty space and the surrounding mountains aren't all that high so you really need a strong foreground. One of those places that looks beautiful with the eye but takes a lot of work with the camera.

Managed to find another resized pic on my phone... this is another one of the Buachaille but from a lesser known spot a bit further up the road. I had a really cool two tone sky with some lovely golden light to the left and a nice cool blue to the right. Think this was about an hour before sunset at the start of January. I went skittering down the rocks on my arse 5 minutes later due to the ice. The arse was bruised but the camera was sound thankfully.

5a85c84fa7773_Cauldron20and20Buachaille20test201.thumb.jpg.f790d9b0440dd09f850795ebb7a29728.jpg

Cheers.

The jetty is on Loch Lomond, maybe around 10 minutes beyond Tarbet and directly across from the Inversnaid Hotel. It's a really nice spot actually, there's some pretty cool old tree stumps submerged in the water at the shore which make for a decent shot as well.

Loch Lomond is right on my doorstep but I actually struggle quite a bit there. I find there is often a lot of empty space and the surrounding mountains aren't all that high so you really need a strong foreground. One of those places that looks beautiful with the eye but takes a lot of work with the camera.

Managed to find another resized pic on my phone... this is another one of the Buachaille but from a lesser known spot a bit further up the road. I had a really cool two tone sky with some lovely golden light to the left and a nice cool blue to the right. Think this was about an hour before sunset at the start of January. I went skittering down the rocks on my arse 5 minutes later due to the ice. The arse was bruised but the camera was sound thankfully.
5a85c84fa7773_Cauldron20and20Buachaille20test201.thumb.jpg.f790d9b0440dd09f850795ebb7a29728.jpg

That's an absolute cracker [emoji106]

31 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Are the wee waterfalls coming from an underground river or is it just flowing under the moss? Great picture.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, sugna said:

Good point. I think I'll bump that if I can find a suitable photo. The standard in this thread is just a bit too high anyway.

But nobody will be pointing and laughing like the rest of P&B so fill your boots 8)

On 14/02/2018 at 12:15, bunglebonce said:

Met a guy from Ayr once at Chanonry Point, said he travelled up there a lot and he seemed to be getting on fine with the 300. Think he was called Harry.

Boots filled.

Also, love the starling photo. I accidentally took a nice starling shot down by Dunbar lst year. Point-and-shoot, all very mundane; then when I got the photos onto the computer it was full of textures and colour. Remarkable birds.

Are the wee waterfalls coming from an underground river or is it just flowing under the moss? Great picture.

I think it's called Cauldron Falls, you walk back up the West Highland way and take a sharp right just after the Kingshouse Hotel and if you wade across the boggy heather you will eventually find it. Thankfully the day I decided to have a swatch the place was completely frozen so walking across the heather actually wasn't too bad. I struck it quite lucky with the sky and light, it was absolutely hooring it down with snow at the time so it was a bit of a wipe and rapid click job before more snow melted onto the lens.

It forms part of the River Etive I think but I'm not 100% sure. Google Maps seems to suggest it is. It's just a kinda bog standard small waterfall, I don't know if the fairly heavy vignette I've went for on this makes it look like moss/underground.