Inverness Caledonian Thistle v The Rangers

A much improved showing from us at Tynecastle saw us pick up an unexpected point.  We played with a great deal more discipline and effort than previously and held off Hearts despite a lot of pressure.  We also looked more threatening up front, while not peppering their goal by any means.

Foran has a number of choices to make in selecting the team for the game.  Jamie McCart and Louis Laing both started against Hearts and had good games but Friday's games sees Brad McKay and Gary Warren both available again.  Warren is our captain and our teams leader for many years, it'd be a brave decision to leave him out.  I think it'd be the right decision - we've flailed around looking for a solid XI and some continuity for a long time and the right thing to do is to keep the team together.  The same applies in the middle of the pitch, with Iain Vigurs available again after suspension.  He's been the principle scapegoat for our teams poor season and it's an oversimplification to put all the blame on him but it's a fact that he's underperformed and that the midfield three of Polworth, Draper and Tansey were far more effective on Saturday.  Tansey had his best game in months and while Polworth didn't do a great deal on the ball, he worked furiously off it.  Draper had a poor game though, a few too many mistakes and fouls from him, including the penalty.  He is capable of stepping up though. 

In attacking terms Larnell Cole had a great game, got into good positions with the ball and used it very well.  On the other side Mulreany wasn't as good as Cole but showed a bit more discipline than earlier showings, tracked back well and used his pace to win some free kicks in dangerous areas, including the one that lead to our goal.  Best of all was having Billy Mckay up front, night and day ahead of anyone else we've seen in that position all season and since he left to be honest.  His workrate, touch, persistence and use of the ball were excellent against Hearts and he'll cause Rangers difficulties if he plays the same way.

Rangers are on a shaky run of form, only one win in four league games since the end of the winter break which could be a good thing for us.  I always think that these runs can't last forever with sides like Rangers and Celtic and sometimes it's not good to get them when they've been poor.  Having said that, Rangers are poor and are in the middle of a testing time in terms of changes in their management structure and the by-now generic Rangers shambles so there's always the chance we can press home that advantage.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think we are coming out of our slump now, while our pack rivals are either still in one or about to. This season there has been little between both ourselves and Rangers, but Rangers having a little bit more cutting edge up front. Kenny Miller makes the difference.

Probably end up as another 1-0 win for Rangers, but I'd be very happy with a draw and decent performance and lets hope our rivals drop points so we can edge closer to the pack.

We need wins now, draws are of no use to us. A draw is not a good result on Friday nor is it in any game for the rest of the season.

Rangers have struggled in their last two away games when they have been pressed hard up the pitch, which by all accounts is something we excelled at against Hearts. This is more of a challenge for us at home, given the larger pitch dimensions - when we tried in the last home game against Rangers we were chasing shadows for most of the game. Mckay needs to work his socks off again and Cole needs to retain his place ahead of Vigurs. The case for retaining the same back four is pretty strong but I would put Warren in ahead of McCart for this one.

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

I'd like to think we are coming out of our slump now, while our pack rivals are either still in one or about to. This season there has been little between both ourselves and Rangers, but Rangers having a little bit more cutting edge up front. Kenny Miller makes the difference.

Probably end up as another 1-0 win for Rangers, but I'd be very happy with a draw and decent performance and lets hope our rivals drop points so we can edge closer to the pack.

We are utterly incapable of keeping a clean sheet.  And equally incapable of scoring more than one goal a game.

I noticed on Twitter that Inverness have a special bumper edition match programme to celebrate their 1000th match.  I am slightly puzzled by this, because my records have them down as having played 998 to date, which would make Friday number 999.  I checked a couple of other sites - Fitbastats and Statto.com, and both of them seem to tally up with my records.

I have them down for having played the following:

League: 839 matches
Scottish Cup: 75 matches
League Cup: 57 matches
Challenge Cup: 25 matches
Europa League: 2 matches

Total: 998 matches

The programme cover mentions that details of all 999 previous matches are included inside, so I'm assuming this has already been double checked by someone the club, and that I'm missing a game somewhere.  Can anyone clear this up and identify the phantom match?

I contacted Don Johnstone who does social media for ICT, and he said that I was missing a Challenge Cup game.  I've looked through it again, and I can only assume that they are including the U20s match in this season's Challenge Cup.  Not sure I would count that one.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I contacted Don Johnstone who does social media for ICT, and he said that I was missing a Challenge Cup game.  I've looked through it again, and I can only assume that they are including the U20s match in this season's Challenge Cup.  Not sure I would count that one.

Yeah can't say I would either unless it was a first team game and we stacked the squad with U20s (which we didn't). It was strictly an U20 game which for me doesn't count as a firs team match.

Bit of a grey area isn't it - the Challenge Cup is a senior competition but the team was the under 20s.

What are the stats saying about the reserve/development teams in that nonsense English cup they had this season?  Are they counted in players appearance/goal count?

A tough away match against a well organised counter attacking team who also happen to be quite physical, not looking great for us.

A simple 4 4 2, play to our strengths. Last week we went a bit gung-ho with the forwards and the midfield toiled.

Wes

Tav, Wilson, Clint, Hodson (if Wallace is still out)

Forrester Hyndman, Holt, McKay

Kenny, Garner

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

So how many have we played? 

14 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I noticed on Twitter that Inverness have a special bumper edition match programme to celebrate their 1000th match.  I am slightly puzzled by this, because my records have them down as having played 998 to date, which would make Friday number 999.  Can anyone clear this up and identify the phantom match?

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

did ye dog.jpg

Someone has made a rip-roaring c**t of this and authorised the printing of 5000 'souvenir' programmes for our 999th match, imo.

Archived