• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read the article on the Sun's website. That guy has been through an absolutely awful time lately and, whilst obviously he should know better, having a gambling problem will just add to it.

People can make wee jokes about it on here, but a gambling problem is no different to being an alcoholic or suffering from any other kind of addiction. It can be a severe mental health issue, and I doubt people would be so quick to make jokes had he came out and said he was suffering from depression and addicted to anti-depressants. He'll get rollocked by the SFA I'd imagine (and rightly so), but I hope he gets the help he needs from the SFA/PFA and Cowden to turn things around.

I hope Cowdenbeath stand by him, just as he has stood by them in their tumble through the leagues.

That was unusually serious from me. First time for everything I suppose.

Just read the article on the Sun's website. That guy has been through an absolutely awful time lately and, whilst obviously he should know better, having a gambling problem will just add to it.
People can make wee jokes about it on here, but a gambling problem is no different to being an alcoholic or suffering from any other kind of addiction. It can be a severe mental health issue, and I doubt people would be so quick to make jokes had he came out and said he was suffering from depression and addicted to anti-depressants. He'll get rollocked by the SFA I'd imagine (and rightly so), but I hope he gets the help he needs from the SFA/PFA and Cowden to turn things around.
I hope Cowdenbeath stand by him, just as he has stood by them in their tumble through the leagues.

I know someone who had their life turned upside down by gambling issues and I agree that it's as much of an illness as the likes of alcoholism.

But...

I really don't think Dean comes across well in the Sun interview. There's no denying the lad has been through at lot, more than most will their entire life, but I just don't think he comes across well at all, can't quite put my finger on why. He's always struck me as the type of guy who feels like he can say what he wants and can get away with it, his Twitter can be cringey at times. It was always going to come back and bite him on the arse.

I just feel that there is no excuse for betting against your own team, at all. Fair enough having an addiction fuelled by tragedy but that doesn't mean you need to bet against your own team.

Really dunno what I'd do if I was in Cowden's position.

1 hour ago, NotAFan said:

Not what I'm saying at all. He knows he's been stupid, has come clean and owned up and will need to be punished. However the cowardly, personal insults by all the bed-wetting bullies on here are totally out of order. Never done something wrong in your life?

The point is, no matter the circumstances, it doesn't suddenly become totally fine to bet against your own sides - in games you're playing in - whether against bigger clubs or not. That's what I mean when I say it's ridiculous to link the two events. He's inviting people to question his integrity. Of course people are going to make a link between betting against your own team and not giving 100% in the games that you play for them. 

Cowden are having an absolute horror year with the lad who alleged wife-beating and rape cases. The club's reaction will be interesting - after already being let down by their players this season you wonder if Brett might end up being treated a bit harsher than he would have. In any case, an SFA ban might lead to him being out till the season's end. I'd be surprised if, even despite the circumstances, they went lightly on him given he bet against Cowden on numerous occasions.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I know someone who had their life turned upside down by gambling issues and I agree that it's as much of an illness as the likes of alcoholism.

But...

I really don't think Dean comes across well in the Sun interview. There's no denying the lad has been through at lot, more than most will their entire life, but I just don't think he comes across well at all, can't quite put my finger on why. He's always struck me as the type of guy who feels like he can say what he wants and can get away with it, his Twitter can be cringey at times. It was always going to come back and bite him on the arse.

I just feel that there is no excuse for betting against your own team, at all. Fair enough having an addiction fuelled by tragedy but that doesn't mean you need to bet against your own team.

Think that's a fair post. I think the reason he doesn't come across particularly well might be that he's claiming unfair treatment. As said above, he hasn't come clean as much as he's been caught. Where he claims unfair treatment, he might have some kind of point as it's well known other SPFL players bet on games, but then I doubt there are very many of them who bet against their own side - that's the real issue. 

57 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Not here to make jokes about the guy but I'm a bit uneasy about his article. He says he's enjoyed gambling for years but it got worse during his awful time at hospital - fair enough, I can accept that doing literally anything is preferable than worrying yourself sick over ill loved ones - but given that he's very openly admitted placing bets and getting away with it in the past, I find it hard to believe that his awful situation has led him to where he is now. He says he couldn't help his gambling problem but then states he's closed his gambling accounts. He says he's told the club about his gambling problem, I'd be interested to know when he made them aware of that because he must know that the club would be able to help him with stuff like that. Given how far the club went to support him during his situation I just can't believe that he hasn't spoken to someone there for help with this, which leads me to think it's him trying to cover his arse for being found out.

I will make one joke actually, why the f**k would anyone take Rangers to beat Cowden on an accumulator, never mind doing it twice? Odds must've been non-existent.

Having read the BBC article which goes into detail regarding the bets placed I'm pretty uneasy about it all. 

I hope the club stands by Dean and help him get over his problem.  However I wouldn't want him to play for us again sadly. If this was a less popular player the unanimous opinion would be for him to not play again and I think we need to be consistent here. 

I like Dean, he's served the club extremely well over the years and has had a horrible time. An unthinkable time. 

I would wish him well, have no hard feelings against him (despite betting against the club) and would hope he gets another club but his time with Cowdenbeath needs to come to a sad end for me.

Some valid comments from the Dumbarton fans and if I was an outsider I would definitely have a more cynical view of it all but I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt from all those connected with CFC. 

We are an absolute shambles on the pitch and we have had a lot to deal with off the pitch as well. Worrying times.

Outside of the world of football and I wish him all the best and hope things improve for the lad.

As far as football goes. There is no way he should play for the club again. If the club or fans chose to provide help and support in any way, that is one thing, but  he can't pull on the cowden top again (aside from the fact we might not be around for much longer).

What other clubs chose to do after his sfa suspension/punishment is up to them.

Having read the BBC article which goes into detail regarding the bets placed I'm pretty uneasy about it all. 
I hope the club stands by Dean and help him get over his problem.  However I wouldn't want him to play for us again sadly. If this was a less popular player the unanimous opinion would be for him to not play again and I think we need to be consistent here. 
I like Dean, he's served the club extremely well over the years and has had a horrible time. An unthinkable time. 
I would wish him well, have no hard feelings against him (despite betting against the club) and would hope he gets another club but his time with Cowdenbeath needs to come to a sad end for me.
Some valid comments from the Dumbarton fans and if I was an outsider I would definitely have a more cynical view of it all but I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt from all those connected with CFC. 
We are an absolute shambles on the pitch and we have had a lot to deal with off the pitch as well. Worrying times.

You're bang on the money.

I think if I was him the first thing I'd be doing is removing myself from Twitter. It appears he's still fairly active on there and quite openly discussing the situation.

The BBC article claims he made 2787 bets covering 6369 matches. 65 of those involved Cowden and on EIGHT occasions those were bets on Cowden to lose. All whilst openly bragging about placing bets on Twitter, and openly bragging that SFA can't do anything.

Unfortunately for him, and for Cowden, I think his time with them is up. Cowden done a lot to help him through that awful tragedy and I can't help but feel that's an awful way of repaying them, a right kick in the teeth.

3 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

If it has affected the outcome of any of the matches he bet on and participated in then I would think that would be the issue.  

I hope he bet on Cowden to beat City at home earlier in the season.... :whistle

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

But...

I'd agree with that, I really don't think he should have done that interview at all, it's almost contradictory in what he says and I wonder if the timeline will stand any sort of scrutiny.

Difficult one for Cowden but how can you justify having someone in the team who has bet against them while playing for them? If it was  Forfar player I'd be very uneasy about it certainly.

This whole matter does not improve the normally overpowering odour eminating from the soap free zone known locally as Cowdenbeath, it is apparent that he was betting on the outcome of matches in which he was actually playing some years before his personal tradgedies.

Anyway, why is no one talking about the initial twitter comments which led to this being investigated in the first place, as mentioned by both Cowdenbeath and the BBC? Is it because,if my memory serves me well and it usually does, he  referred to a match official in strong homophobic terms for judging that a penalty kick he took had not crossed the line during a match against ourselves?

Having tried to double check the tweet contents I find it has been removed, so I suspect so.

Coo coo...8)

Archived