Queens v Raith Rovers

Yet another hard game Raith have already shown they  have improved with John Hughes as manager.We will have our 3 cup tied players back Mercer Rankine and Thomson were a huge miss against Dundee UTD.

Start like we did in the Cup Tie then we will end up with nothing from the game.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure I'm going to go down to this one. Will be my first trip to Palmerston. Amazing how differently I feel about the team now that Locke is away. It was an effort to go to home games until recently and I'm now contemplating a trip to Dumfries. 

This will no doubt be a tough game. I'm sure that Hughes will have learned from seeing the players in action during the Hibs game and we will have a couple of other players back from suspension. Other than Robertson we must have a fully fit squad to choose from, so I would expect to see the team line up a little differently. I wonder if we might see a change in formation? 

This is the first of 3 or 4 season defining games - we really need a positive result here and our first win in 16 would be most welcome. 

Another week with Hughes working with the players should bode well going into several big games for us. We showed some elements of improvement against Hibs which was encouraging albeit still suffering from periods of Lockinitus. Hughes has certainly instilled a degree of positivity amongst the fans, even at this early stage, and we're renowned for giving the team a better backing away from home so we'll probably have a relatively noisy away crowd down with us. Quietly confident we can get 3 points here and maybe see the turn around we've all be hoping for. I'll plump for a 2-1 away win. 

I'd take another draw here tbh, it would be great to get our first win in about 423 games but it's a tough ask against a decent queens side, we can then look to Ayr and Dumbarton as a chance to get back to winning ways. 

McHattie will come back in id imaine and we will hopefully see Hardie up top with Stevenson. 

Stevenson has already scored at Palmerston for Dumbarton, so he'll need to be watched. Queens have had a rollercoaster of a season so far, from flying high in first with Skelton in charge, to then losing seven straight league games (4 before and 3 after) Skelton's mystery departure and spiralling to mid-table, also with Jim Thomson in temporary charge. Then a resurgence of sorts under the new manager Gary Naysmith, who recruited wisely in the January transfer window, getting Rankin as captain from Falkirk and two loan players Joe Thomson from Celtic, who had been at Dumbarton and also Dom Thomas from Motherwell, along with Scott Mercer from former club, East Fife.

12 minutes ago, RUSTY1111 said:

Stevenson has already scored at Palmerston for Dumbarton, so he'll need to be watched. Queens have had a rollercoaster of a season so far, from flying high in first with Skelton in charge, to then losing seven straight league games after Skelton's mystery departure and spiralling to mid-table, having Jim Thomson in temporary charge and a resurgence of sorts under the new manager Gary Naysmith, who recruited wisely in the January transfer window, getting Rankin as captain from Falkirk and two loan players Joe Thomson from Celtic, who had been at Dumbarton and also Dom Thomas from Motherwell, along with Scott Mercer from former club, East Fife.

I feel a lot better after reading this, I don't know why but I do.

4 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I feel a lot better after reading this, I don't know why but I do.

As usual, it isn't right. We lost 3 straight league games after Skelton left. We lost 4 in a row while he was still manager.

Maybe that will make you feel even better.

1 hour ago, rw89 said:

McHattie to left back with Coustrain and Barr to start. Certainly hopeful we can use this to push on and get our season started. The next three games are massive.

If McHattie plays that would mean Benedictus returning to the centre of defence and that in turn would free Craig Barr to play in midfield. Hughes said that Callachan was his man of the match, so he'll play as will Stevenson after that goal. If Bobby Barr and Stewart play the only way Coustrain could start would be at the expense of Ross Matthews.

If McHattie plays that would mean Benedictus returning to the centre of defence and that in turn would free Craig Barr to play in midfield. Hughes said that Callachan was his man of the match, so he'll play as will Stevenson after that goal. If Bobby Barr and Stewart play the only way Coustrain could start would be at the expense of Ross Matthews.

Coustrain will start, at who's expense, I don't know, but he will start.

He isn't in the development squad at all tonight which isn't like him which tells you, that he is very much part of Hughes plans this weekend.

20 minutes ago, Ancient Mariner said:

what happened to Grant Anderson ? did he fall out of favour when your new manager came from the Fife ?

decent enough player for us at RRFC, a long way for him to travel now

a nice lad

He's at Peterhead now I believe. Surprised nobody at a higher level than that wanted him - solid pro and a good (squad) player for us. 

39 minutes ago, Ancient Mariner said:

what happened to Grant Anderson ? did he fall out of favour when your new manager came from the Fife ?

decent enough player for us at RRFC, a long way for him to travel now

a nice lad

He started off well, cracked a rib in early September, wasn't really the same after that and Naysmith maybe didn't see him at his best. Maybe Naysmith saw Thomas as a much better prospect and with Carmichael back, the opportunities for Anderson to get a regular game were limited.

Archived