Keeping biscuits & crackers fresh

Flybhoy

On the take of similar threads about cutting pizza with scissors and the like I have to confess to a personal trait which im not sure is normal behaviour.

When opening a packet of cream crackers or chocolate digestives to guard against them going stale, or at least the top ones I will cover the top of the packet with a piece of tinfoil and scrunch it tight, preventing air ingress and subsequent ruiniation of part of, or all of the remaiming biscuits/crackers.

I have also used this technique on opening a block of cheese, wrapping it back in the original plastic after opening never keeps it fresh and always leads to a hard, stale crust forming, tinfoil to the rescue !

Am I alone in this unorthodox keeping foodstuffs fresh technique?

Tinfoil - its not just for heroin addicts.

31 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

On the take of similar threads about cutting pizza with scissors and the like I have to confess to a personal trait which im not sure is normal behaviour.

When opening a packet of cream crackers or chocolate digestives to guard against them going stale, or at least the top ones I will cover the top of the packet with a piece of tinfoil and scrunch it tight, preventing air ingress and subsequent ruiniation of part of, or all of the remaiming biscuits/crackers.

I have also used this technique on opening a block of cheese, wrapping it back in the original plastic after opening never keeps it fresh and always leads to a hard, stale crust forming, tinfoil to the rescue !

Advocating wrapping up food to keep it fresh, hardly makes you a revolutionist.    Just...fairly basic common sense.   

45 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Maybe in your part of the world this could be considered unorthodox but I thought wrapping cheese in tinfoil to preserve freshness was absolutely standard practice. In fact, aside from lining baking trays, I thought this was the primary objective of tinfoil...

A biscuit tin would be the obvious choice to keep biscuits fresh. Downside being a strong flavour biscuit will taint the taste of other biscuits in the same tin.

Rice is good for soaking up moisture - hence the grains of rice in salt shakers.

Buy a biscuit tin for your biscuits. Wrap the cheese in cling film. Keep the tin foil for your hats.

35 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Here's a tip: Put a pinch of sage in your boots, and all day long a spicy scent is your reward.

Ensure your guffy farts have a lovely minty scent by inserting a tic-tac up your bullet hole twice a day.

3 hours ago, Greenlantern said:

If you still want the crunch in your biscuits and crackers after a few days, a good air tight Tupperware container is boss.

A few days, I'm lucky if biscuits last a few hours.

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

So...you're opening the biscuits, you're eating the biscuits...then you're putting the packet away while there are still delicious biscuits inside? Madness.

Also, well done to everyone for resisting the temptation to mention Jack the Biscuit up to this point. Pwoud, vewy pwoud.

Archived