The Wheel vs The Rock: The 3rd Chapter

25 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Your mickey mouse club not muster anyone on Saturday to film it?

To be fair, Sonstv has missed about 2 games all season and our highlights package, although far from perfect, puts most clubs' highlights to shame. I reckon our highlights are probably much better than your own.

But we know we're not a big team and offer them for free, unlike many at your diddy club who still have it in their heads that you're a big team who should be in the premier league and beating Mickey Mouse clubs like ours :thumsup2

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at all. In relation to my comment there, he literally did that in this game; when Austin was called offside in the first half, Barr runs in the complete opposite direction of Austin and the ball. Was bizarre and definitely not the first time he's done it whilst playing for us.

More generally, he has certainly had some good games, but I would say he has been the worst performing player who is consistently in our starting 11 this season.

Absolutely nothing personal against the guy, I just feel he often plays like you would play in FIFA once you've been booked; running near a player but too scared to actually tackle or when he does put a foot in it's a foul (see the last two weeks).

Fair enough, can't say any of these points have struck me when watching him play though.

35 minutes ago, bigmacDFC said:

Not at all. In relation to my comment there, he literally did that in this game; when Austin was called offside in the first half, Barr runs in the complete opposite direction of Austin and the ball. Was bizarre and definitely not the first time he's done it whilst playing for us.

More generally, he has certainly had some good games, but I would say he has been the worst performing player who is consistently in our starting 11 this season.

Absolutely nothing personal against the guy, I just feel he often plays like you would play in FIFA once you've been booked; running near a player but too scared to actually tackle or when he does put a foot in it's a foul (see the last two weeks).

Robert Thomson surely?

I do agree with much of that about Barr though, I think he's been pretty poor this season aside from a few storming games (Raith at home for example), and I get the running alongside thing. His distribution has also been fairly rank. I mean I'm all for a no-nonsense centre-half, but the amount of times he paps the ball straight out of play - or randomly starts dribbling in circles in his own half when he's facing his own goal - is bizarre for a guy with his experience.

The one thing I will say in his defence though is that when he got injured against St Mirren Lang and Buchanan looked shaky for much of the game. Obviously it's the first time they've played together (and it was one of Lang's first senior games), but I felt we really missed him that day.

To be fair, Sonstv has missed about 2 games all season and our highlights package, although far from perfect, puts most clubs' highlights to shame. I reckon our highlights are probably much better than your own.
But we know we're not a big team and offer them for free, unlike many at your diddy club who still have it in their heads that you're a big team who should be in the premier league and beating Mickey Mouse clubs like ours :thumsup2

From a Falkirk fan, well said!!

Robert Thomson surely?
I do agree with much of that about Barr though, I think he's been pretty poor this season aside from a few storming games (Raith at home for example), and I get the running alongside thing. His distribution has also been fairly rank. I mean I'm all for a no-nonsense centre-half, but the amount of times he paps the ball straight out of play - or randomly starts dribbling in circles in his own half when he's facing his own goal - is bizarre for a guy with his experience.
The one thing I will say in his defence though is that when he got injured against St Mirren Lang and Buchanan looked shaky for much of the game. Obviously it's the first time they've played together (and it was one of Lang's first senior games), but I felt we really missed him that day.

Would say Thomson is a close second, albeit statistically he's actually very effective.

Would definitely agree about the St Mirren game. Although it may be more of a case of Bucky knowing how Barr plays, and therefore how to bail him out/where to position himself (depending how big your Andy Graham tattoo is), and not having the same with Lang.

I genuinely must be watching a different Darren Barr, isn't "running along side players" just him defending? If anything I think Barr can go for the tackle too eagerly at times rather than standing off. Perhaps my dodgy eyesight is in the wrong on this occasion seen as I'm outnumbered 2-1 but I'm genuinely not sure of the complaints raised here.

I believe we should be in the Premiership. We have an infrastructure, academy system and fanbase which is bigger than every other non City club again this season.

We are not there mainly due to poor management decisions off the park before and since we got relegated in 2010.

42 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I believe we should be in the Premiership. We have an infrastructure, academy system and fanbase which is bigger than every other non City club again this season.

We are not there mainly due to poor management decisions off the park before and since we got relegated in 2010.

I hate this argument. It's atrocious when diddies like Chick Young hit out with patter about the Premiership "needing" Hibernian and Dundee United. Falkirk are a Championship club because that's their level. Just as Hibernian are. Just as Dundee United are.

I hate this argument. It's atrocious when diddies like Chick Young hit out with patter about the Premiership "needing" Hibernian and Dundee United. Falkirk are a Championship club because that's their level. Just as Hibernian are. Just as Dundee United are.

Read the whole post! I never mentioned the Premiership needed us. I have told you why we are not. It is our own doing we are where we are. Everything is in place to get us up but our Board have an inability or no ambition to take that on.

Based on which stats?  Where can we see these stats?

He is our top goal scorer both in all competitions (6) and in the league (5).

He is also our top assister in all competitions (6) and second to Stirling and the other Thomson (5) in the league with his 4 assists.

On top of that he has won us 3 penalties which have then been converted.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I genuinely must be watching a different Darren Barr, isn't "running along side players" just him defending? If anything I think Barr can go for the tackle too eagerly at times rather than standing off. Perhaps my dodgy eyesight is in the wrong on this occasion seen as I'm outnumbered 2-1 but I'm genuinely not sure of the complaints raised here.

I'd agree with you Moonster. I think Barr is quite an important player to us. Yes, he has moments now and again where his decision making isn't as good as you'd expect from a player with his experience. That being said, I was very concerned when he went off vs St Mirren. I dreaded that he would be out and miss a few games because we are most certainly a better team with him on the park.

48 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Read the whole post! I never mentioned the Premiership needed us. I have told you why we are not. It is our own doing we are where we are. Everything is in place to get us up but our Board have an inability or no ambition to take that on.

Buy yourself into the board and get it sorted sir!

26 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I'd agree with you Moonster. I think Barr is quite an important player to us. Yes, he has moments now and again where his decision making isn't as good as you'd expect from a player with his experience. That being said, I was very concerned when he went off vs St Mirren. I dreaded that he would be out and miss a few games because we are most certainly a better team with him on the park.

Barr and Buchanan were both booked on Saturday. Won't one, or both, be nearing a suspension? Not sure how I feel about a Lang and Sparky centre back partnership.

49 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think you boys have been a tad unfortunate that the likes of Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United have been in the league the last few years, which has severely restricted your chances of promotion.

Once things revert back to normal and those bigger club's move back up, you will most likely, move up at some point. To average over 5k must give you a lot of additional capital that others like us, St Mirren, Raith, Queens etc can't compete with.

With the introduction of the playoffs, you'd like to think that once the big club's feck off, promotion/relegation will be a lot more common for club's like ourselves and hopefully see a lot more club's yoyo'ing between the top 2 divisions. 

2 hours ago, bigmacDFC said:

He is our top goal scorer both in all competitions (6) and in the league (5).

He is also our top assister in all competitions (6) and second to Stirling and the other Thomson (5) in the league with his 4 assists.

On top of that he has won us 3 penalties which have then been converted.

To be fair those penalties count as assists. From open play he has two in the league (Ayr last week, Dunfermline in the 2-2 yonks ago).

Archived