Irn-Bru Cup Final - Dundee United vs St Mirren

lionel hutz

Final Venues  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

United will take 10000 we come out the woodwork for cup final we took 30000 to recent Scottish cup finals

In which case as I say I'd guess Fir Park or EEP.

I can't see them playing it on ER the day after Hibs v Falkirk - pitch could be cut-up and little time to "dress" the stadium. Tynecastle main stand will be shut by then IIRC.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DAVIDB69
If Dundee United can take 30,000 ... maybe scope for a final at Hampden?
surely should be aiming for maximum revenues possible

We will take 10 I think

United will take 10000 we come out the woodwork for cup final we took 30000 to recent Scottish cup finals

Has to be Easter Road then :)

Should be a good day out. Diddy cup indeed, but it's still quality winning it. The time we won it in 2006 was a fantastic day out.

In which case as I say I'd guess Fir Park or EEP.

I can't see them playing it on ER the day after Hibs v Falkirk - pitch could be cut-up and little time to "dress" the stadium. Tynecastle main stand will be shut by then IIRC.

More than one person told me today that the final has to be held at a ground of a team who entered the competition.

Is this nonsense?

Of course if this is the case, Easter Road, Airdrie, Hampden, East End Park etc. would all be available.

I don't see why such a regulation would apply. Back in days of SFL and SPL it was a touchier issue, but I'm pretty sure it was held at McDiarmid Park at least once when they were in SPL... Under SPFL auspices it was at Easter Road in 2013-14 despite Hibs playing in SPFL Premiership (as it'd become).

Nevertheless I return to the fact that Hibs v Falkirk is that weekend.

I'm sure I read that after keeping it open for the Edinburgh derby the Main Stand at Tynecastle is now closing thus leaving ~12,500... below Fir Park, like EEP.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

I don't see why such a regulation would apply. Back in days of SFL and SPL it was a touchier issue, but I'm pretty sure it was held at McDiarmid Park at least once when they were in SPL... Under SPFL auspices it was at Easter Road in 2013-14 despite Hibs playing in SPFL Premiership (as it'd become).

We played County at McDiarmid when St. Johnstone were in the SPL.

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Nevertheless I return to the fact that Hibs v Falkirk is that weekend.

Hibs played Aberdeen at home the day after Raith beat Sevco at Easter Road. 

There might be extra complications if the order of matches is different (if the stadium needs "dressed" etc.), but the general idea of two in 24hrs isn't unreasonable. 

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

Hibs played Aberdeen at home the day after Raith beat Sevco at Easter Road. 

There might be extra complications if the order of matches is different (if the stadium needs "dressed" etc.), but the general idea of two in 24hrs isn't unreasonable. 

That was a bit later on, sometime in April IIRC, and as you say the "showpiece" game was on the Sunday afternoon with the league game on the Monday evening... This time around you're talking turning things around in less than 24hrs; and if it bucketed rain for Hibs v Falkirk on the Saturday afternoon the pitch could be "chewed-up" for the Final. I don't suppose it's impossible but I would surprise me, tbh.

Unless the attendance is expected to reach or exceed 15,000 there could be no need anyway. It could be played at Fir Park (14,000); or at Tynecastle with the Main Stand shut (must be 12,500-13,000) - even though that might be undesirable for atmosphere and TV; or at East End Park or Dens (12,000 IIRC).

Pittodrie or RP?

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Would be daft moving it to the Sunday on the same day as the Scotland game, what condition is Easter Roads surface in?

Hibs v Falkirk is on Saturday afternoon and neither of those clubs are in the Final. It's not going to be moved for TV, AFAICS. So it can't be Saturday at ER unless you postpone that?

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

That was a bit later on, sometime in April IIRC, and as you say the "showpiece" game was on the Sunday afternoon with the league game on the Monday evening... This time around you're talking turning things around in less than 24hrs; and if it bucketed rain for Hibs v Falkirk on the Saturday afternoon the pitch could be "chewed-up" for the Final. I don't suppose it's impossible but I would surprise me, tbh.

Unless the attendance is expected to reach or exceed 15,000 there could be no need anyway. It could be played at Fir Park (14,000); or at Tynecastle with the Main Stand shut (must be 12,500-13,000) - even though that might be undesirable for atmosphere and TV; or at East End Park or Dens (12,000 IIRC).

Pittodrie or RP?

Both are too far out the way,

Hibs v Falkirk is on Saturday afternoon and neither of those clubs are in the Final. It's not going to be moved for TV, AFAICS. So it can't be Saturday at ER unless you postpone that?

I wouldn't host it at Easter Road then. From the other stadiums available EEP, Fir Park, possibly Rugby Park but that gives us geographical advantage in the same way McDiarmid park gives United geographical advantage but that's just a bit too small.

Having it on the same day as the Scotland game is a bit of a pain in the arse more than anything, it's easy enough for all fans to get to both if they wanted albeit might make it a bit awkward for United fans getting back home from the Scotland game.

Pretty much expecting it to be held at Easter Road on the Sunday because of the stadium situation and Alba.

Guest DAVIDB69
Div tweeting from Black and white army that Friday 24th at Firhill is a possibility.

I would be astonished at that what sort of crowd are they looking for, it isn't really very neutral either and firhill is a tip

Archived