Wrestlers who were ahead of their time

djchapsticks

Simple really...does anyone jump out who was simply too far ahead of their own era that they never really fitted in or made it big but would have been a megastar in another time? 

For me, the most obvious is Bad News Brown/Allen.  Here's a guy whose entire gimmick was that he was an angry heel who would beat the shit out of anyone in his way, face or heel and with a dreadful attitude whilst doing so. At a time where heels were either huge powerhouse bullies or whimpering cowards,  BNA stood out like a sore thumb,  he was unremarkable looking but was booked as a ballsy fighting heel who'd take on anyone.

I remember watching Survivor Series 89 as a child and he walked out on his team of fellow heels as one hit him by mistake and the crowd HATED him for it. All I remember was thinking I wanted to see more of this guy as he was so different in his aproach. He was almost doing Steve Austin's gimmick about 7 years before Stone Cold. Yet he never made any big name for himself outside Stampede. 

Any others spring to mind? 

Raven - Came about just a few years to early, would have been a better CM Punk counter-culture type in the noughties than Punk was. That would have been a great feud actually.

The Freebirds - Would have been cheered to f**k today, the came before it was acceptable to enjoy cool heels though. See also....Tully Blanchard

Pillman - would have been an absolute rock star in the attitude era.

2 Cold Scorpio would have ripped it up in WWE a bit later on and without the shite Flash Funk gimmick

In the mold of BNB...Bruiser Brody. Hesitate to say him as he was used properly in Japan, but if we're talking mainstream US audience then he'd go over better now.

Also hesitate to say Jake Roberts as he had a great career as was, but would go down better today with more focus on promo work etc. The heat he'd garner today would be tremendous

3 hours ago, Christophe said:

Raven - Came about just a few years to early, would have been a better CM Punk counter-culture type in the noughties than Punk was. That would have been a great feud actually.

They had an intense as f**k feud in 03, if you can find any of it, it's brilliant.

9 hours ago, Christophe said:

The Freebirds - Would have been cheered to f**k today, the came before it was acceptable to enjoy cool heels though. See also....Tully Blanchard

Pillman - would have been an absolute rock star in the attitude era.

2 Cold Scorpio would have ripped it up in WWE a bit later on and without the shite Flash Funk gimmick

In the mold of BNB...Bruiser Brody. Hesitate to say him as he was used properly in Japan, but if we're talking mainstream US audience then he'd go over better now.

Also hesitate to say Jake Roberts as he had a great career as was, but would go down better today with more focus on promo work etc. The heat he'd garner today would be tremendous

I've not seen much of Bruiser Brady other than his match with Lex Luger where he was pissed off at the young Luger, no sold everything and Luger wisely knew when to GTF out of there. 

Raven and Pillman are definites. The latter in particular wasn't so much ahead of his time, he was in the exact right place at the right time. Had he not nearly killed himself in that car crash, you have to imagine everything would have been different.

Definitely Raven. Think the obvious one would be Gorgeous George though. At least 20 years ahead of his time with his gimmick. Wee bit different, but I think if Taz had shown up in WWF later he'd have been a bigger name. He had his limitations but I loved Taz. The entrance and his move set were great and I think he'd have fitted in well with the Ruthless Aggression era. Was lost in the shuffle a bit.

The Rockers could be a shout. They were having the sort of tag matches you ended up seeing from the likes of The Briscoes in the early 2000s. The match with the Orient Express had all sorts of weird innovation going on, including a finish which is probably more inventive than anything you see today.

Archived