loco de futbol

Just to put matters straight guys as to what's happening with FPs. Unfortunately the club has been struggling numbers wise for a while now. We do not have the biggest of squads and after losing a few players who were very important to us just before and after Xmas for various reasons, our position became even worse. I feel we have/still have a decent enough starting eleven but no depth of squad and despite the management teams best efforts to get players in, they found it difficult. We had 1 player rap it last Wednesday night after training had to be cancelled ( again ) at the last minute due to lack of numbers. I can understand his frustration 100% as he is a good trainer and says he's passing up the chance to work late then after getting home from work, the training is getting cancelled at the last minute due to call offs with work etc and lack of numbers. We cut our training nights down from 2 to 1 and it made no difference. Personally I felt he could have waited till after the CP game or even see the rest of the season out and see what happens. There were other call offs before the CP game with work and other personal reasons. Numbers wise, things were only going to get worse after this week-end due to suspensions. The manager stood down due to this lack of committment and he can't be blamed for standing down as in my opinion he did everything in his power to get players in. Just a combination of a lot of issues occuring at the 1 time that have brought matters to a head. I could not have called the game off v CP any earlier than I did and we will be rightly fined the appropriate sum for conceding the tie. We have a meeting with the players on Monday night and have offers from some former players to come and help out to get us through the season and if we get the positive response we are hoping for then we hope to continue and finish the season as best we can. We are obviously on the look out for a new management team for next season and the committee at the club is as strong now as it has ever been so in that respect there are no issues. Here's hoping for an upturn in fortunes.

Mon the FPs

PS Sorry we broke your heart Michael. Was hoping to have another go at it yesterday as we all know what can happen in one of games but not to be. All the best for the rest of the competion and the season.

G.

Thanks mate, I hope you manage to get the boys together to get yourself through to the end of the season. Then re group in the summer for next season. 

I hate to see good amateur teams struggling, especially ones run by committed passionate people. Unfortunately it's not getting any easier for clubs to survive in the amateur game. 

Why are so many ammy teams folding ? is the youth of today just no interested in football.

It would probably surprise a lot of folk how many teams have folded in the last 5 or 6 years. 

Can members on here give names of teams that have ceased in their leagues since say the year 2010 to try and gauge how many we have lost.

Or if any have either started or come back after an absence.

A lot of teams have folded this year alone.. Reasons could be costs, weekend working, shift working etc etc. My belief is that the youth of today are just not as keen as we were. We used to train in poorly lit carparks and play on ash but we were committed to the game 18 - 20 at training regularly Inc Xmas holidays. Now it's just excuse after excuse.. 

• 2 weeks later...

My old Mearns AFC team folded just before Christmas. Have won the Scottish Cup twice in the past and have been going since 1930. I was involved for over 20 years at the club until I moved to refereeing. Broke my heart to hear of the club fold due to circumstances similar to Wishaw. Hope Gav and the rest at Wishaw can keep things going. Good luck.

Whitehill FP possible the oldest Amateur club in Scotland [ ex Queens Park ]  from the SAFL been going for over 100 years folded this season, 2 good guys been running it with great difficulty in the last few seasons decided this year call it a day.

My old club!

Gutted for alan and Russell. Two cracking gents who put their life and soul into that club. Didn't get the support they needed or commitment from the players to keep the club going. Shame and would love to see them back.

Archived