Edinburgh City v Montrose

So, the way I saw it, (and no team sheets on sale for the punters today - tut tut, second time this season) Stobie in goal with a back 5 of (left to right) Gair, McKee, Harrison, Caddow and Dunsmore. A Midfield trio of Dunn, Walker and Laird. The two up front were Allan and Guthrie. Substitutes McConnell, McFarland and Cummings came on in the second half.  Ouzy See and Craig Beattie were in the stadium but were out injured (as was Joe Mbu) and mingled with the fans. City must be really struggling for fit players now because Ortega Deniran was named as No. 17 on the press's team sheet (that I glanced at longingly on the media desk). Ortega has been so conspicuous by his absence this season that I thought he'd left the club altogether a long time ago.  Donaldson and Antell made up the numbers.

Performance-wise, Stobie made a terrific save again. He's worth a goal a game to City. Josh Walker? I gave up counting the amount of times Josh's passes went to another City player. Maybe only two of his passes went astray to a Montrose player and only one was passed too far behind the intended target. So top marks to Josh Walker - Man of the Match, I think Harrison did OK (Solid as a rock - The new Joe Mbu perhaps). Didn't see a lot of the sweeping runs into the box from the wing backs that has been happening of late at the away games.  A couple of players got into the kind of argy bargy with each other that you may expect to see week-in week-out in the Edinburgh and Lothian Sunday Afternoon Amateur League at Dalkeith Campus but apart from that a draw was a fair result.

Ouzy See is expected to be out for a couple of more weeks with a bruised foot sustained in training a couple of weeks ago. Had a chat with him in the foyer today.

Ouzy See with City Fanzine Issue 15 (2).JPG

4 hours ago, jd_mo said:

Very disjointed performance that. Far far too many passengers today. No idea how Callaghan and Smith stayed on for the full match: both looked absolutely lost. And someone needs to teach Masson how to take a corner. Thought we were extremely fortunate to get the point, but I'll take it.

Can't argue with that assessment. By half time it was obvious we weren't set up right and were second to everything. I was just hoping we could hang on until the half time whistle without conceding a second. To be fair Edin City didn't look like scoring a second but then the goal they did get was a beauty so it could have happened again. As JD said we had too many either passengers or off form players today. Apart from Callaghan and Smith being poor, I'm not sure where Matty Allan was supposed to be playing - he's a centre back but wasn't playing there - and it showed. The second half saw us kicking with the breeze and with more bite about our play. It was crying out for Sanny with his height and hold up play. He came on and changed the game so if that was the impact tactic it worked. It was then crying out for the pace of Ferguson which we eventually got. Fair enough if that was the plan but we just can't afford to play a sterile disjointed first 45 minutes like we did and we also did at Stirling. We got away with it in both games but I doubt we won't if it happens again next week at Forfar. I don't mean to be having a go at Stewart Petrie as his record is good and he's still assessing his squad but that's my honest assessment after today.

As for Edin City I felt they were the better of two poor sides in the first half and were deservedly ahead. But, in the second half they disintegrated into a shambles and could easily have lost in the end. Several of their players were knackered which questions their fitness levels. The time wasting was unbelievable as well. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed that for most of the second half it was the Montrose substitutes operating as ball boys behind the goal Mo were kicking towards. Fleming was situated at one corner flag another at the other corner flag and two more a long way behind the goal. The ref should really have moved Fleming but I think he also realised what was going on and did nowt about it. An under par Mo performance but we got away with it and in the end deserved a point.

Came to watch City again today and thought first half was really good for them. Sadly the early substitutions appeared to change the game. Have watched City a few times and there seems to be no consistency up front. Beattie hardly fit, See has scored but inconsistent when fit, McConnal runs around but adds little. Allan certainly does more than Allum, Guthrie has some great awareness and needs more game time. To howk both forwards when winning seemed a bit negative and in the end ruined the game. Onwards and upwards

Thought both teams were poor. Apart from.last week, we need to start games earlier. Fraser and Callaghan were awful and should have been replaced. Had we scored minutes earlier, we would likely have won. Worst game I have viewed under SP.

Thought second half was better for the mo as soon as temps came on Jordan had someone to target. Thought his passing from the back today was excellent few dodgy ones when he slipped. Cammy was excellent and Ryan should have been on from the start we never run at there defence until him and temps came on

5 hours ago, Montrose moaner said:

City were shocking the second half. I have never seen a team try to waste time for a full 45 mins absolute disgrace and to top it off 4 ball boys to cover the park.

we usually have more ball boys tbf.. anyway if your players didn't blast the ball miles over when presented with easy chances in front of goal etc... poor show Mo, time wasting by being no' very good! :lol:

Disappointed we didn't kick on and try and get a second. Been watching City for over 20 years now and it's a rare City team that can sit on a 1-0 lead and defend for a half without losing a goal! The Mo equaliser was foreseeable that's for sure. 

What I'll be saying if we end up in the play-offs by two points:

3 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

So, the way I saw it, (and no team sheets on sale for the punters today - tut tut, second time this season) Stobie in goal with a back 5 of (left to right) Gair, McKee, Harrison, Caddow and Dunsmore. A Midfield trio of Dunn, Walker and Laird. The two up front were Allan and Guthrie. Substitutes McConnell, McFarland and Cummings came on in the second half.  Ouzy See and Craig Beattie were in the stadium but were out injured (as was Joe Mbu) and mingled with the fans. City must be really struggling for fit players now because Ortega Deniran was named as No. 17 on the press's team sheet (that I glanced at longingly on the media desk). Ortega has been so conspicuous by his absence this season that I thought he'd left the club altogether a long time ago.  Donaldson and Antell made up the numbers.

Performance-wise, Stobie made a terrific save again. He's worth a goal a game to City. Josh Walker? I gave up counting the amount of times Josh's passes went to another City player. Maybe only two of his passes went astray to a Montrose player and only one was passed too far behind the intended target. So top marks to Josh Walker - Man of the Match, I think Harrison did OK (Solid as a rock - The new Joe Mbu perhaps). Didn't see a lot of the sweeping runs into the box from the wing backs that has been happening of late at the away games.  A couple of players got into the kind of argy bargy with each other that you may expect to see week-in week-out in the Edinburgh and Lothian Sunday Afternoon Amateur League at Dalkeith Campus but apart from that a draw was a fair result.

Ouzy See is expected to be out for a couple of more weeks with a bruised foot sustained in training a couple of weeks ago. Had a chat with him in the foyer today.

Ouzy See with City Fanzine Issue 15 (2).JPG

Ortega has been conspicuous by sitting on the bench as a coach most weeks Mr B... 

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Ortega has been conspicuous by sitting on the bench as a coach most weeks Mr B... 

Haha. I wondered who he was. Ortega's name seemed to disappear from the squad list, even The Citizen programme didn't name him on the back page. :thumbsdown

Haha. I wondered who he was. Ortega's name seemed to disappear from the squad list, even The Citizen programme didn't name him on the back page. :thumbsdown

Ortega was re-signed on amateur terms at the end of the week, after the back page went to the printers. He scored some superb goals for us the first time we won the Lowland League, but he didn't feature much last season.

29 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Headline from the BBC website: I honestly thought it was a hostage news story! Don't really get the photo story thing though: random? Edinburgh City held at home by Montrose

The photographer is doing a series of pictorial studies of Edinburgh City's expedition into the Scottish League 2 for the BBC. His next stop is Stirling on Saturday. Hope he gets a nice photo of the grass pitch. I hear The Binos's groundsman cuts a different design every week. (Watching the Dundee v Rangers game however, not too keen on the Bermuda triangle edged into the Dens Park pitch or as our co-editor says it looks like the Deathly Hallows from Harry Potter to her. Whatever, it seems to have cast a spell on the Gers).

Deathly Harrows68d7a79626b6eb2067ba4f0cd9e109b0.jpg

Archived