St Mirren v The New Saints Challenge Cup Semi Final 19/2/17

shull

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Even the partisan Welsh commentators were effusive in their praise of McGinn. It's ridiculous that we were able to sign him in the position we're in, TBH.

The 2nd most biased commentators I've heard after Rangers TV. They weren't pretending to be neutral to be fair but the guys immediate reaction to the red card was along the lines of "WHAT?! Never a red!!" and then he seen the replay and sheepishly admitted it was a blatant red :lol:.

14 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

The 2nd most biased commentators I've heard after Rangers TV. They weren't pretending to be neutral to be fair but the guys immediate reaction to the red card was along the lines of "WHAT?! Never a red!!" and then he seen the replay and sheepishly admitted it was a blatant red :lol:.

Yeah, he did that 'aw refereeee' thing... then backtracked pdq.

The game reminded me of when I used to play rugby in the mid-Wales league. They were all big and hard (kennethwilliams.jpg) so you couldn't go through them, but they were slow as f**k and tired quickly, so the best idea was to get it wide and go round them. As soon as we did that yesterday, the game was as good as over.

TNS manager saying on their website he had no complaints over the red card and knew as soon as the tackle was made that was likely to happen. Still not the best red card Saunders has managed in Paisley though - that was a few years back when he flattened someone, got booked, then 10 minutes later flattened someone in exactly the same place with exactly the same tackle and Ritchie Brittain went off his nut at him.

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, he did that 'aw refereeee' thing... then backtracked pdq.

The game reminded me of when I used to play rugby in the mid-Wales league. They were all big and hard (kennethwilliams.jpg) so you couldn't go through them, but they were slow as f**k and tired quickly, so the best idea was to get it wide and go round them. As soon as we did that yesterday, the game was as good as over.

the commentary was class also from this should be an easy days work for TNS playing a low lever scottish team with the best bench a welsh team has ever produced.    Roll on the second half you can tell the difference in quality here etc  And this isnt how TNS usually play etc.

18 hours ago, Big Berk said:

This was a big game for TNS on a strange stadium. I would imagine the match would have been closer had the game been played down there.

This must be it. The team from the glorified pub league that have only managed to beat a full time team once in their history can portion some of the blame on the fact the game was played in a stadium they've never been to before.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

TNS manager saying on their website he had no complaints over the red card and knew as soon as the tackle was made that was likely to happen. Still not the best red card Saunders has managed in Paisley though - that was a few years back when he flattened someone, got booked, then 10 minutes later flattened someone in exactly the same place with exactly the same tackle and Ritchie Brittain went off his nut at him.

That was a tremendous laugh. There must be footage of the synchronised slump that Brittain and a teammate did when Collum showed the inevitable red. 

4 hours ago, flyingscot said:

That was a tremendous laugh. There must be footage of the synchronised slump that Brittain and a teammate did when Collum showed the inevitable red. 

Hadn't realised that at the time - looks like it's Rocco Quinn!

Got it slightly wrong, it's a similar tackle on the other side of the box. First booking is about 2:55 in.

12 hours ago, Girth said:

Their chairman is a complete lunatic.

They have about six fans and are the only full time Welsh team.

They'd be ruined in the English leagues which is why they'll never join.

They need that champions league money.

They would probably be lucky to make an impact in the National League never mind League One. As you say they'll never leave the Welsh set up as the Champions League money keeps them going.

On 2/20/2017 at 22:03, cowdenbeath said:

They would probably be lucky to make an impact in the National League never mind League One. As you say they'll never leave the Welsh set up as the Champions League money keeps them going.

Their chairman Mike Harris is an absolute shocker.

Arguing with opposing fans on FB all the time. 

I think TNS over-estimate their ability...

They have played in Europe for 18 seasons running but have only beaten Bohemians of Eire, Cliftonville of Northern Ireland, B36 of the Faroes and Tre Penne of San Marino. Those are all part-time or amateur opponents (unless Bohemians were full-timers).

Between 1997 and 2008 there was a tournament called the Premier Cup in Wales combining top League of Wales teams with EFL clubs from Wales - they'd twice beat Newport and once Cardiff, and twice drew with Swansea and once with Wrexham, but it would mainly or exclusively be reserve & youth XIs.

They played in the Shropshire Cup several times earlier this decade and won it once; lost in SFs to Telford Utd; again in SFs to Market Drayton; then in QFs to Ellesmere Rangers.

In the Challenge Cup this season they won 3-1 at Forfar with 2 late goals; had a good 3-0 win a Livingston; then got humped off St Mirren.

On 20/02/2017 at 16:37, AsimButtHitsASix said:

This must be it. The team from the glorified pub league that have only managed to beat a full time team once in their history can portion some of the blame on the fact the game was played in a stadium they've never been to before.

Or put in a way you might understand, Str Murn had home advantage  :rolleyes:

I'm pleased this is an all-Scottish final and hope the lunacy of inviting poor teams from other countries to participate in a competition they'd never heard of, is junked.

That said, Welsh football has improved a lot in the last few years. The Welsh Premier, having existed for less than 25 years, was always going to struggle for attention against the English leagues and the six biggest clubs opted to stay in that system. Only Caernarfon and Rhyl were forced to join the Welsh system or face bankruptcy. In a way, it's unfair to compare a recently established league with the long established competitions in England and Scotland.

The league has improved vastly since I lived there a decade or so ago. Back then there really were a few pub teams in the league (Rhayader Town, Caersws spring to mind) and the standard was dreadful. But I'd say the top teams that were invited this season- TNS and Bala- are the equivalent of decent Scottish League One teams. 10-15 years ago no Welsh premier team would have been able to compete in what is now Scottiah League Two. Caernarfon, Aberystwyth, Carmarthen, Rhyl, Barry Town, Bangor are all sleeping "giants" too down there with potentially big supports and a fanbase that grows very quickly with success.

Whoever posted that TNS are at the standard of a mid table English League One outfit is a roaster, clearly. Conference Premier- and near the bottom end of that- at the very best. Most of their competitiors in that league are one or two notches below that standard. But it's still much better now than it was.

Archived