St Mirren v The New Saints Challenge Cup Semi Final 19/2/17

shull

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the level of interest in both the Semi-finals is pretty underwhelming going by the Match threads which is a pity because it probably is the only realistic chance of getting silverware that lower league clubs have. Obviously St. Mirren have more important targets to think about as have Dundee Utd but it's a shame that these games don't seem to be grabbing much attention. Anyway good luck to the Paisley Saints against the Welsh Saints. Hopefully you'll meet QoS in the Final.

Torn between wanting to see the Midden beat, as usual, and concerned at what a laughing stock our league has become if one of our Championship teams gets beat by some Welsh no marks.

St. Mirren to win but then flung out for fielding and ineligble player. Then TNS to be rode in the final while St. Mirren fans wonder what could have been...

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I seriously doubt SPFL expected a Welsh team with a couple of hundred fans to make the final, which they're now 90mins from doing... Whether it's embarrassing or not is a matter of taste.

It wasn't a terribly long shot that they'd get this far, given how late they got to enter the competition.

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I seriously doubt SPFL expected a Welsh team with a couple of hundred fans to make the final, which they're now 90mins from doing... Whether it's embarrassing or not is a matter of taste.

They are not that bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Saints_F.C.#History_in_European_competition

It shows Celtic Cup could work, which is a good thing.

In the last five years their only European victories have came against part time or amateur teams. Their most notable victory was against Cliftonville. Both the Norn Irish teams in this year's Challenge Cup were papped out right away without a goal between them so that should signify the "quality" of their victory. 

TNS in the final of the Challenge Cup is a riddie.

50 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

In the last five years their only European victories have came against part time or amateur teams. Their most notable victory was against Cliftonville. Both the Norn Irish teams in this year's Challenge Cup were papped out right away without a goal between them so that should signify the "quality" of their victory. 

Theyre effectively an English league side playing non league football. I watched them at Station Park and they controlled most of the game with crisp passing, far more than Rovers managed in the earlier round. I thought Livingston matched them in a playing sense and 3-0 flattered them, but they went to a strange place against a team doing well and won with a clean sheet. I expect St Mirren to beat them, as I expected Livi to do, but I would say St Mirren despite their shite season will outmuscle them. But any doubters can be assured theyre a decent team of ex English league players and a couple from our championship.

11 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

That's backwards thinking. The Irish were embarrassed, these are their top teams.

Hi (Scottish) Saints. I hope you absolutely body TNS today purely for their horribly small time attitude on Twitter, and the fact that they seem to have fans who believe they are genuinely English L1 standard because they beat Forfar and Livingston. I will then be able to take to Twitter, stick out my fishing rod and bask in the glorious Welsh seethe.

Don't let me down, Jack.

23 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Torn between wanting to see the Midden beat, as usual, and concerned at what a laughing stock our league has become if one of our Championship teams gets beat by some Welsh no marks.

St. Mirren to win but then flung out for fielding and ineligble player. Then TNS to be rode in the final while St. Mirren fans wonder what could have been...

This, very much this. Very much like an Old Firm game here, I'd like to see both teams gubbed.

Archived