Relocating for work

Lassie I ken (massive chebs) works for a national organisation that is 'restructuring'.

She's been told that her post in Scotland is ending, but that they've matched her up with a post...in Peterborough.

Would you move hundreds of miles away purely for some fucking job?

If she turns this offer down, will she be denied benefits?

Would they not be better just making her redundant that insulting her with the offer of a job that's hundreds of fucking miles away?

Employers are c***s.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, paranoid android said:

Lassie I ken (massive chebs) works for a national organisation that is 'restructuring'.

She's been told that her post in Scotland is ending, but that they've matched her up with a post...in Peterborough.

Would you move hundreds of miles away purely for some fucking job?

If she turns this offer down, will she be denied benefits?

Would they not be better just making her redundant that insulting her with the offer of a job that's hundreds of fucking miles away?

Employers are c***s.

I'm not an expert but I think if she has been working with the company for over 2 years they either have to pay her off or offer her a job in a different location, which they have.

Depends where I was told the job would be, Peterborough nah....New York maybe :).

27 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I'm not an expert but I think if she has been working with the company for over 2 years they either have to pay her off or offer her a job in a different location, which they have.

Depends where I was told the job would be, Peterborough nah....New York maybe :).

This. Depending on how long shes been at the company, if she turns down the transfer she'll be entitled to redundancy

I would certainly prefer to relocate to London than holes like Paisley or Fraserburgh.

You do realise that you don't have to live in these places and can have a short commuting distance to much nicer places, right?

Work in London and you've the options of i) live in shitey London accommodation with a sardine tin tube commute, or ii) live outside of London and put up with hours of standing packed trains despite the 5am start.

I'd take Paisley / Broch over London anytime tbh.

You do realise that you don't have to live in these places and can have a short commuting distance to much nicer places, right?

Work in London and you've the options of i) live in shitey London accommodation with a sardine tin tube commute, or ii) live outside of London and put up with hours of standing packed trains despite the 5am start.

I can't say I gave it as much thought as you have.

ETA: But I would still prefer to live in London.

8 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

London has less of a heroin problem.

London is amazing if you can afford it to stay near to the centre.
I found Finchley a bit too far away but I had a great time in Clapham. It has nice weather in the summer, there's loads to do, it has a community feel, the people are generally friendly, hotties all over the shop.

I would certainly prefer to relocate to London than holes like Paisley or Fraserburgh.

London would only be worth if for me if I was earning big bucks which would be what I would need to have as good a quality of life as I do now.

London would only be worth if for me if I was earning big bucks which would be what I would need to have as good a quality of life as I do now.

You're a man of fine taste, throbber. I'll give you that. But, I'm pretty sure you can get Lidl carry outs for the same price in London.

I don't mean to be rude, but, offer someone who is quite comfortable in Peterborough the option of relocating to Paisley, Larbert, Elgin or wherever and I'm fairly sure you'd get the same reaction.

It is what you make it. If you don't want to go, don't. If you are prepared to embrace the change, go for it.

Think it depends on how secure you are with your employer. If you're valued and they want you to move for some reason, go for it if all of the above fits. If they are trying to piss people off and get them to find alternative local jobs, take the hint.

You're a man of fine taste, throbber. I'll give you that. But, I'm pretty sure you can get Lidl carry outs for the same price in London.

I doubt they will have an equivalent to the foot of the walk/marksman there though.

My old man got relocated from his job in Dundee (living in Carnoustie) to Scunthorpe, just before I was born. I've still not recovered from spending my first 7 years of life in Humberside. Taught me how to look after myself though, being called Angus in a place like that.

Archived