Relocating for work

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

My old man got relocated from his job in Dundee (living in Carnoustie) to Scunthorpe, just before I was born. I've still not recovered from spending my first 7 years of life in Humberside. Taught me how to look after myself though, being called Angus in a place like that.

Wearing loafers were just a way of fitting in with the bumpkins then?

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Work in London and you've the options of i) live in shitey London accommodation with a sardine tin tube commute, or ii) live outside of London and put up with hours of standing packed trains despite the 5am start.

This is a bit of a cliche.  Plenty of nice places to live around London with a less than 40 minute commute in decent trains where you get a seat.

Lassie I ken (massive chebs) works for a national organisation that is 'restructuring'.
She's been told that her post in Scotland is ending, but that they've matched her up with a post...in Peterborough.
Would you move hundreds of miles away purely for some fucking job?
If she turns this offer down, will she be denied benefits?
Would they not be better just making her redundant that insulting her with the offer of a job that's hundreds of fucking miles away?
Employers are c***s.

I turned down a move to work with General Electric in Peterborough. After I thought about it, the extra money I was making was just about covering the increased cost of living I would face.

Lassie I ken (massive chebs) works for a national organisation that is 'restructuring'.
She's been told that her post in Scotland is ending, but that they've matched her up with a post...in Peterborough.
Would you move hundreds of miles away purely for some fucking job?
If she turns this offer down, will she be denied benefits?
Would they not be better just making her redundant that insulting her with the offer of a job that's hundreds of fucking miles away?
Employers are c***s.

Depends on personal circumstances. I have no ties to where I am, so if I got offered a move and a decent pay rise I'd likely go. f**k it, why not? If it's pish, jack it, head up the road and be in the same position.
Ps, show's the tits!

Really depends on the relocation package. Boy I worked with until recently was transferred to London. Didn't particularly want to move there from here, but they are paying the rent on his pad in Canary Wharf and left him on the same wage as he was getting here. I'd probably consider something like that, though I'm not sure Peterborough sounds up to much.

I'm holding out for a shift to Hong Kong personally. Just need to get the missus onside.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

I'm holding out for a shift to Hong Kong personally. Just need to get the missus onside.

A guy from my old work got a job in the Hong Kong office and moved there with his girlfriend, the company paid for him to relocate all his possessions, get his cat quarantined etc.  When he got there he handed his notice in after two weeks as he alreday had a job lined up with another HK company :lol:

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A guy from my old work got a job in the Hong Kong office and moved there with his girlfriend, the company paid for him to relocate all his possessions, get his cat quarantined etc.  When he got there he handed his notice in after two weeks as he alreday had a job lined up with another HK company :lol:

I was about to jack in a job when I was sent on a week's course in the South of France. Buggered off for a couple of days walking in the Pyrenees. When I got back I handed in my notice. They weren't very happy.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I know 3 guys who have moved from the office here to Hong Kong. One of them went with his missus but they split up shortly afterwards and she came back here. He loves it. Of the other two, one is married and one still single. The married one is the only one who has mentioned moving back here. Perhaps convincing my missus to go with me is not the correct route to take...

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I have relocated for work once and will be doing so for a second time in the summer, and both times the contract has had clauses about repaying some or all of the relocation expenses if I leave within two years.  I think I would have needed to pay back the full amount if I left within six months, or a pro-rata amount if it was inside the first two years.  No idea how strictly it would be enforced - I'm guessing it would depend on circumstances.  Both times I was taking up a new job rather than transferring within the same company.

17 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

You do realise that you don't have to live in these places and can have a short commuting distance to much nicer places, right?

Work in London and you've the options of i) live in shitey London accommodation with a sardine tin tube commute, or ii) live outside of London and put up with hours of standing packed trains despite the 5am start.

I'd take Paisley / Broch over London anytime tbh.

Agree with the first part, but your point around 'shitey London accommodation' isn't necessarily true.

Yes, accommodation is terrible at the bottom end of the rental market.. but if you're on a decent wage, you can certainly afford to live in some pretty damn good bits of London. I'm not talking Holland Park, but who would want to live there anyway?

I'd much rather live in Stoke Newington or Broadway Market than some pit like fucking Paisley.

Thank you.

44 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I have relocated for work once and will be doing so for a second time in the summer, and both times the contract has had clauses about repaying some or all of the relocation expenses if I leave within two years.  I think I would have needed to pay back the full amount if I left within six months, or a pro-rata amount if it was inside the first two years.  No idea how strictly it would be enforced - I'm guessing it would depend on circumstances.  Both times I was taking up a new job rather than transferring within the same company.

I don't know what happened with my ex-colleague but I know the Department Head who was his manager was seething and the whisper was they demanded the money back.  I didn't hear what happened with it in the end.  I'd be surprised if there wasn't a clause in the contract, maybe he calculated that it was worth it, maybe his new job more than covered it.

8 hours ago, NorthernJambo said:

Depends on personal circumstances. I have no ties to where I am, so if I got offered a move and a decent pay rise I'd likely go. f**k it, why not? If it's pish, jack it, head up the road and be in the same position.
Ps, show's the tits!

You're not getting to see mu tits, m8.

Did some work in Peterborough a few years back, was perhaps expecting a twee English Cathedral City like Durham maybe. What a fucking shithole, seemed lawless. No way would I relocate there.
Ely down the road was nice enough though.

A guy from my old work got a job in the Hong Kong office and moved there with his girlfriend, the company paid for him to relocate all his possessions, get his cat quarantined etc.  When he got there he handed his notice in after two weeks as he alreday had a job lined up with another HK company [emoji38]

Shitty behaviour IMO.

He's burned his bridges with his old employer which will be more than awkward if he ever needs a reference and his reputation etc is screwed. Hardly worth it for a few grand.

I know 3 guys who have moved from the office here to Hong Kong. One of them went with his missus but they split up shortly afterwards and she came back here. He loves it. Of the other two, one is married and one still single. The married one is the only one who has mentioned moving back here. Perhaps convincing my missus to go with me is not the correct route to take...

No doubt your colleagues have already brought you up to speed, but Hong Kong is a great place for guys (single or married) but much less so for females (single or married). The kind of attractions it holds for guys doesn't need explanation, and explains why women tend not to love it as much.

Not sure how much truth there is in the acronym FILTH used to describe bankers being sent out to Hong Kong, but it certainly applied to the bloke who murdered the two prostitutes there 18-months back!

The very first town I stayed in for more than a night for work was Bridgwater.

Someone else used the term "lawless shithole" - this was basically a large council estate. No wonder they're building another nuclear power plant nearby.

Bridgwater has been enough to make sure that I appreciate the north of Scotland a bit more, even after going to London, Manchester, Bristol etc. Going abroad might be a different story though.

14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

No doubt your colleagues have already brought you up to speed, but Hong Kong is a great place for guys (single or married) but much less so for females (single or married). The kind of attractions it holds for guys doesn't need explanation, and explains why women tend not to love it as much.

Not sure how much truth there is in the acronym FILTH used to describe bankers being sent out to Hong Kong, but it certainly applied to the bloke who murdered the two prostitutes there 18-months back!

The stories I have heard from the guys who are there, as well as others who have worked there in the past would largely tie in with that description. The boy who moved most recently went for the lifestyle only, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him ending up in the jail at some point.

Archived