Spiders v Wasps

Thought we made it difficult for ourselves.  We should have been out of sight after 25 mins

Credit to Queens they made a flight of it 

2nd goal was a great strike . 

And we move into 2nd ahead of next week's home clash with Airdrie 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 points and a clean sheet, take that any day of the week.

The early goal really helped us big time. We had runners and workers in the middle but quality going forward not great.

Queens not great chasing a game and we were comfortable at he back. Andy Graham man of the match.

Kirkpatrick's goal was a beauty.

The team selection worked well because of the circumstance scoring early in the game. Very bold to keep our main creative outlets Cawley and Flannigan out of the starting lineup.

Mackin more effective up top

Delighted with that 3 points against the team below us, back upto second in the table aswell.

First 20-25 minutes i thought we battered queens and expected us to win comfortably, credit to them they came back into the game, having said that i think its fair to say mcdowall never had a great deal to do.

Zanatta injured i take it, think you missed him upfront.

Credit to spencey for taking his goal well, kirkys was a peach aswell fantastic ability.

The boy for you 'jambo' is a fantastic player, a joy to watch and what an engine on him.

Excellent three points against a Queens side which moved the ball about well, but didn't really create much apart from plenty balls into the box, which we dealt with well.

Not sure whether the players were totally comfortable with the formation, and we looked much more like ourselves when Cawley and Flannigan came on.

Holmer and Andy Graham were best for me. Kirkpatrick and Spence once again did what they have been doing all season. McDowell was solid in goals.

A win next week would put a little distance between ourselves and Airdrie. Who will start and what will the formation be? Only Jim Goodwin knows!

Agree with above. Thought Holmer was exceptional today. Andy Graham solid too. We looked a lot more dangerous going forward with Flanny and Kev on, I think that is more because of their quality rather than tiring legs. Even with the 2 goals and clean sheet I'd like to see Flanny or Kev start next week.

But anyway - great win!

Alloa are playing a more defensive , less fancy football now with goodwin , I thought we were poor at times today but thankfully so were queens, I thought it was a good defensive display Though,  but well taken goals nonetheless, We have had more possesion and played bewtter in games we have lost so credit to jim for the formation , but the creative edge has been lost a bit , stiil take this result next week too ,

Almost fell asleep during the game with very little flowing football from either team. Terrible mistake/start set the mood for the whole game with lots of break down in play, hoofs up the park and negative play. 

Only positive I took from the game was Kalvin Orsi's performance who showed that, with a bit of support, could and hopefully will do some damage in future games. Voted man of the match and typically substituted.

We got the break with the first goal and Spence finished well. I thought we fell out of it at times today but I felt that the pitch stopped us from playing to our potential as well. Although it still beggars belief why players will still wear blades on a grass pitch in winter time. You might as well wear roller skates.

I thought Holmes was outstanding once again along with Graham. Franko and Hetherington also impressed. The subs came at the right time as well. Queens had grew into the game as we had went stale and both Cawley and Flanny got us up the pitch and sealed the win.

Gus was outflanked by Goodwin yesterday who used exactly the same tactics as we often do. Main difference being he had forwards who could compose themselves and hit the target.

As mentioned above we lacked any creativity or guile to change it up front but it's never easy against a 10-man defence and a packed box. The game was similar to so many home games last season. The subs were ridiculous. Orsi was a standout and the only one likely to score and Brown plays a similar game to Woods but from a deeper starting point. Neither sub made any positive difference, arguably they contributed less than those they replaced. Another example of Gus thinking his system is right, it's the players that get it wrong.

Jambo was excellent yesterday but most of his teammates worked hard but created little that impacted the game, Burns the best of the rest. Woods miss was every bit as woeful as Wharton's error. Mitchell could easily have played safe at the second but allowed an easy steal that led to the second goal. Really poor defending. Credit to Wharton for getting his focus back and he and McGeever did well the rest of the day. They are also the biggest contributors, as is Cummins, when we have dead ball plays up front for both first and second balls, which says it all about the imbalance in the squad. I wonder if Bradley and McLeish had as much support, encouragement and grass time as some others have had and had been allowed to promote their forward-facing, attacking style of football, might we have had a better front section and more goals by now.

We've still time and hopefully if a back 5 of Millen, McGeever, Cummins, Gibson and McIlduff can get together we might get back to pre-Xmas results. Would love to see Orsi and Zanatta getting a decent run together. Rovers play a similar game to Alloa and soak it up so we'll need something more creative next week. And shots on target!

Alloa took their chances well and for that deserve the win but I can see why they have so many draws and like QP they'll have ups and downs the rest of the season. In this league though still the best prospect for the play-offs.

A good result for Alloa, though form away from home has generally been decent this season anyway. We've taken nearly two-thirds of our points tally on the road, it's the home form which has derailed our progress in the last few months.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

but it's never easy against a 10-man defence and a packed box

really winning 2-0 (should have been three)  packing the defence with ten men does not really occur , we defended well and had to at times but hardly parking the bus was it ?

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Another example of Gus thinking his system is right, it's the players that get it wrong.

Bizarre statement. I can't think of many examples of this, given that his record is 2nd, promotion, and that we could have gone 2nd in League One yesterday. Interested to hear what these other examples are? The only thing he could have done differently yesterday would have been to bring Gibby into a three man defence, but I highly doubt that he's gone and changed a successful system for the sake of it. Hopefully Cummins and Millen will be back in next week. We didn't look nearly as solid without the two of them.

Whilst Woods' miss was a bad one, Wharton's mistake was two fold. He let the ball bounce, when he should have dealt with it, and then made a total arse of the header back. That's, at least, the third time he's sold a goal of that nature in the past couple of seasons. I like the big man and he's had more good games than bad, but he's got that streak in him where he'll take a brain fart and lose us a goal. Having said that, he'd still 100% be in my starting lineup next week, alongside McGeever and Cummins, if they're both available.

57 minutes ago, an86 said:

Wharton's mistake was two fold. He let the ball bounce, when he should have dealt with it, and then made a total arse of the header back. That's, at least, the third time he's sold a goal of that nature in the past couple of seasons. I like the big man and he's had more good games than bad, but he's got that streak in him where he'll take a brain fart and lose us a goal. Having said that, he'd still 100% be in my starting lineup next week, alongside McGeever and Cummins, if they're both available.

Yes I agree, and I'd still start him next week.

really winning 2-0 (should have been three)  packing the defence with ten men does not really occur , we defended well and had to at times but hardly parking the bus was it ?

I read it as a compliment to how quickly Alloa were able to get men behind the ball whenever Queen's tried to get forward. Defending well isn't necessarily a negative thing.

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

You were winning 2-0 with a few minutes to play. The 1-0 was a gift that you won't get too often, after 4 minutes of the game. There was an 80 minute gap in between,

12 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

I read it as a compliment to how quickly Alloa were able to get men behind the ball whenever Queen's tried to get forward. Defending well isn't necessarily a negative thing.

No it's not, but it's only half of what's needed to win. And our return to side passing yesterday makes it pretty easy to get players behind the ball.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Having said that, he'd still 100% be in my starting lineup next week, alongside McGeever and Cummins, if they're both available.

We can agree on that point but Gus has dropped him before for similar gaffes and if the rest are all fit and able I wouldn't be surprised if he was dropped again.

Archived