Ayrshire league changes

ayrshireTD

One of the advantages of this playoff system is that a new team can effectively get to the Premier league after 1 season.  For me, this is a major drawback of it.  You find that the teams that make the premier have players with the required commitment and committees that back the non-playing side up.  It must be a few years since the last team folded from the Premier league.  This shows that the teams that get there have the commitment, even Lochan who had two horror seasons kept at it.  There are many examples over the years of new teams going through the leagues but the harder it gets, you often find these teams folding. I think with teams having to take a while to get to the Premier that it shows their desire and commitment. 

I can see why some lower league teams would want to miss a Shortlees coming up through their league though, totally understandable.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

First off I'm sorry for the long reply.

For me it's prem (12) first (14 for time being) and 2 2nd divisions ( the now it would be 2a 11, 2b 10)

I don't think the 2nd divisions need to be strictly north and south. As close to as possible the same with the two local cups.

Based on current numbers I would have a two up from the first and two down for the prem automatically with the 3rd bottom prem and 3rd top of first playing a one off playoff

I would have two automatically down from the first and the winners of 2a and 2b automatically promoted.

Since there is still low numbers in the 2a and 2b divisions and there is a slight lack of games I would then add in a play off system similar to the English championship in each of the 2nd divisions . 2nd plays 5th ( either one off or 2 legs) 3rd plays 4th.winners play each other .

At this point u could either have the winners of the two play offs play each other and take 3rd bottoms place in the first or the winners could play 3rd bottom again in a one off game for promotion.

On the issue of teams folding Then, for me,If they were from the prem then that league would be topped up.

The first ( with current numbers) wouldn't as there is still possible too many games In This division. ( although I agree with barc, that this wouldn't be a problem if more teams were forced to play games up till a set time on the sat)

If teams from the 2nd folded then at a certain point bite the bullet and go to a play 3 times a season.

I would also insert a clause where the association or clubs can vote up to the season start date ( when they have a better idea of numbers ) of any potential tweaks that are needed.

I think this format means more clubs are battling for promotion, more clubs battling against relegation and a team in the bottom positions in the 2a and 2b POTENTIALLY might only need to win last 2/3 games of season to move into the 5th playoff spot meaning through out all the divisions there are more meaningful games up too the last kick. It also means that these teams that just don't turn up to play a fixture as they only have 10 players might rethink as there is more to play for so that extra 3 point deduction may be the deciding factor!

I like that idea. Far better

Ha ha, the Committee can never win, imagine the uproar if one person had come up with the proposal, they'd be getting hung by now!!!

Don't know so much Graham as one person has just came up with an idea that sounds great and seems to have support of most. I'm pretty sure had the committee came up with it it would have been met with same response. What's your feelings on it and now you have seen it will you introduce it to the committee and sub committee?

As I've said before, other options were considered, including regional leagues.

However, many on here are talking about fixture backlog, in my opinion 14 teams is too many in one league, particularly if you then add play off fixtures.

Relegating 25% of any league seems like a lot. And relegating teams not in a relegation position isn't fair, as I've stated before.

The regional cups were introduced when the regional leagues were done away with, so clubs would be playing the same teams regularly in this proposed set up.

Similarly if clubs play each other 3 times, that means unfairness in terms of home/away fixtures, playing the same teams AGAIN and many clubs (like me) don't like it.

Playoffs used to be in place and clubs disliked them, so they were done away with.

I don't disagree with the principle of the proposal, however every option has its cons. The promotion and relegation is extremely complicated, and would need to be thought about carefully. And then what happens if numbers increase or decrease, there doesn't seem to be much flexibility?

Like I said, other options were considered, and many of these points were discussed.

Don't know so much Graham as one person has just came up with an idea that sounds great and seems to have support of most. I'm pretty sure had the committee came up with it it would have been met with same response. What's your feelings on it and now you have seen it will you introduce it to the committee and sub committee?

I've put another post on, was typing while you were asking the question.

About 4 people have commented on it, don't think that's 'has the support of most', I don't even know who most people on here are, or if they are even with clubs in our league?!

The proposal has been out for 5 days, and hasn't even been discussed by clubs yet...

I think the majority of clubs are against losing the relegation battles. They may not be nice to be in but it's incredibly competitive and most teams, going by what I have heard and also seen discussed don't want to lose that aspect.

The proposal put forward by eyeswideopen would see competitive football throughout the season as well as clubs will be in the league they deserve to be in and not based over six games. I think this is the biggest issue of all in your proposal and the reason it won't be voted in in my opinion.

As you said every proposal will have its pros and cons but fundamentally it will come down to the one that has the least cons for the majority of clubs and on the face off it, eyeswideopen's one seems to fit that description

Trust me graham, clubs are discussing it. Non stop from it came out on different forums and social media. And I have spoke personally to at least five clubs so it is getting discussed

As I've said before, other options were considered, including regional leagues.

However, many on here are talking about fixture backlog, in my opinion 14 teams is too many in one league, particularly if you then add play off fixtures.

Relegating 25% of any league seems like a lot. And relegating teams not in a relegation position isn't fair, as I've stated before.

The regional cups were introduced when the regional leagues were done away with, so clubs would be playing the same teams regularly in this proposed set up.

Similarly if clubs play each other 3 times, that means unfairness in terms of home/away fixtures, playing the same teams AGAIN and many clubs (like me) don't like it.

Playoffs used to be in place and clubs disliked them, so they were done away with.

I don't disagree with the principle of the proposal, however every option has its cons. The promotion and relegation is extremely complicated, and would need to be thought about carefully. And then what happens if numbers increase or decrease, there doesn't seem to be much flexibility?

Like I said, other options were considered, and many of these points were discussed.

I get that playing each other 3 times isn't ideal but that would only happen in the 2nd if teams fold. The same way that if the sub committee proposal was to go through and a team folded from the bottom 8 team league leaving 7, I guarantee you's woulda make them them 3 times. As for adding playoff to a back logged 14 team league only two clubs in theory would be playing one extra game.

Eyes wide open proposal is obviously really well done. As graham says like most proposals there are pros and cons. I think i have mentioned before the super first junior division in the west is a tremendous example of a division battled out to the final games of the season. 2 auto promoted then 3rd bottom prem vs 3rd top first team. Always attracts large interest and a "cup final" for these teams. It also has 4 relegation spots that send teams to there respective regions. And in the past 7 years i think from 4th bottom in the division to 5th or 6th its been very tight.

This division can potentially see a turnover of 7 teams per year if thats not competitive or what people want then i dont know what else can make a division exciting. Its similar to eyes wide opens proposal.

I dont feel the bottom two divisions in eyes wide opens idea needs to be regionalised they could be 2a and 2b i think regionalising them was an easy way to split them up. 

As for fixtures piling up. This is another area the league needs to lay down the law about.i mentioned before about this the league needs to give more power to the match secretary. Every team shud have be ready to play 2pm every saturday. If postponements are made if the secretary gives them another fixture at another club by say 11am on the sat that would give clubs 2hours to get to the new venues which is more than enough in ayrshire. Other suggestions on this is the league taking all the school bookings at 230pm grange,greenwood,st joes..etc etc and setting provisional fixtures on them to force games through. Prevents a whitewash in all divisions.Again theres alot of cons to this idea but its certainly an idea.

Am waffling on again.

just back from a 2 week holiday..was i in the  bermuda triangle  and came back to another scotland... the all new set up idea,, .teams for the prem could end up in the third div. because  people on holidays of suspensions., not one person  asking this question   if they want to do  something to make the game better ..  do something about  the team thats not paid players for the last eight years. as there is nothing any  of the A.A.F.A.  can do ..forget it.. in 3 or 4 years there will be  10 or 15 teams go to the wall...money talks the other teams will walk.

12 hours ago, hate cheats said:

just back from a 2 week holiday..was i in the  bermuda triangle  and came back to another scotland... the all new set up idea,, .teams for the prem could end up in the third div. because  people on holidays of suspensions., not one person  asking this question   if they want to do  something to make the game better ..  do something about  the team thats not paid players for the last eight years. as there is nothing any  of the A.A.F.A.  can do ..forget it.. in 3 or 4 years there will be  10 or 15 teams go to the wall...money talks the other teams will walk.

Like a dog wae a stick :lol:

I don't think this proposal will go through if it goes to a members vote. Unlike most I think it's worth a try though. With current standings just now it makes no difference to our team as we expect to be in in division two or pot two.
Not one for ever sticking up for Graham however I think he has answered all questions and it's clear this has been thought through.
I do agree with Kilbirnie point that there are teams in premier not any better than other teams so I would add in to the proposals 2 up 2 down plus 3rd place play playoff v 3rd in first division.
One extra place might swing the attraction for 1st division clubs.
There's a lot of talk about the number of teams that have folded however I think it's also needs to be recognised the teams that have been struggling for players but haven't folded. In my opinion the numbers playing have reduced and the game is in danger of more casualties if there's no some sort of change.

Archived