Irn Bru Cup 2017/18

I don't know if Linfield and Crusaders will be back, (probable top two again),  but the LOI's Bray Wanderers and Sligo Rovers appear to have accepted invitations, according to a reliable source on Irish League Forums.

They aren't in Europe, so I'm guessing they are the top two LOI sides not to have qualified. Sligo are a shadow of the team they were about five years ago, but Bray seem to be spending a lot of money. Great place to visit too. Avoid Sligo like the plague - my ex-wife is from there.

5 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

When you say you don't know if L+C will be back, do you mean you don't know at all, or do you have some info that casts doubt on it?

I just don't know if they have been invited plus, I suspect the addition of the LOI teams means that either the NI or Welsh teams ay be surplus to requirements.

I hope the Northern Irish clubs stay in the competition, andI that Crusaders arent put off by the SFAs f**k ups with their Livi tie. I was glad the two LOI clubs have been invited in too; they'll be no pushovers. But please drop the premier youth teams, they devalue the tournament.

So this season:

Only 1 of the B teams made R3, where they were thumped 5-1 by Livingston... From the aspect of development 5 of the 12 only played 1 tie; from the aspect of crowds they were generally awful and only Livingston v Celtic B drew over 500; from the aspect of performance Hearts B, Partick B, Celtic B and Motherwell B defeated SPFL opponents, but in several cases facing considerably weakened XIs (indeed Clyde played entirely their own reserves v Partick B).

Brora, Turriff (who made R3), Cove and Spartans made R2.

Linfield the Northern Irish champions were beaten 2-0 by QotS... Crusaders the runners-up were beaten 2-1 and 3-0 at home by Livingston... Bala the Welsh runners-up were beaten 4-2 at home by Alloa... TNS won 3-1 at Forfar, 3-0 at Livingston then lost 4-1 at St Mirren. Only the TNS win at Livingston seems particularly commendable.

Ditch the B teams, put the Irish/Welsh teams in earlier and shorten the competition, IMO.

I would love to see the Under 20 teams become Under 23 sides (With at least 2 overaged players) Important for the kids to learn a bit more and develop playing with a couple of senior players in a fairly big and senior competition.

I reject the proposal of more High/Lowland teams involved in the competition, i believe that it should be something worth aiming for and Doncaster and the lads have got that bit right

I would love to see the Under 20 teams become Under 23 sides (With at least 2 overaged players) Important for the kids to learn a bit more and develop playing with a couple of senior players in a fairly big and senior competition.
I reject the proposal of more High/Lowland teams involved in the competition, i believe that it should be something worth aiming for and Doncaster and the lads have got that bit right

Riddy.

1 hour ago, mrman2011 said:

Rep -100

That is all.

Archived