NFL Free Agency

lichtie23

Free Agency officially starts on March 9th (21.00 our time) with the "legal tampering" period beginning 2 days earlier.

The Cleveland Browns have the most cap space, while the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys actually have to clear space to get under the cap. Come the start of free agency, teams need to be cap compliant.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Not that Iv heard. I'd imagine we will try keep him around.

I read the article wrong my bad.  That's a shame.  

3 hours ago, strichener said:

I personally use overthecap.com

Same here.  Great site.

Anyway looks like The Bears may struggle in FA this season if Illinois pass a bill on Compensation Rights as the NFLPA have stated they cannot support players signing for the organisation

Today is the first day for teams to designate who they will, if anyone they wish to use the Franchise of Transition Tag.  They have till 1 March to use it

Who will get tagged? Eric Berry already said he doesn't want to be tagged and will sit out 2017 if he is. What about Hightower in New England. His tag will be $15 million. How about JPP ?

Selected others who might be tagged

Leveon Bell, Steelers

Kirk Cousins, Redskins

Alshon Jeffrey, Bears

Terelle Pryor, Browns

Chandler Jones, Cardinals

Kawan Short, Panthers

What does franchise tag mean?

In the National Football League (NFL), the franchise tag is a designation a team may apply to a player scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. The tag binds the player to the team for one year if certain conditions are met. Each team only has one franchise tag (of either the exclusive or non-exclusive forms) and one transition tag per year. The transition tag can only be used if the team does not use a franchise tag. As a result, each team may only designate one player each year as that team's franchise player using one of the three tag options.

Perhaps originally designed to reduce player movement to bigger markets, which is often evidenced in the other major pro sports leagues, the NFL revenue sharing and a hard salary cap has placed teams on an even playing field relative to salaries. The tag options allow NFL franchises an extended bargaining period for a player that they feel is key to their success. Usually reserved for players of great skill or of high importance to the team, a franchise tag allows a team's general manager the privilege of strategically retaining valuable free-agent players while seeking talent through the NFL draft or other acquisitions without exceeding the League's salary cap.

The designated franchise player will have his one-year salary guaranteed if he elects to play for the team that designated him with the franchise tag and if he does not negotiate a contract with another team.

1 hour ago, Dee4Life1893 said:

He played under the tag in 2016.

He wants a multi-year contract with guaranteed money.

Come home to Tennessee Eric, we have loads.

If Berry hits FA I hope GMSM to order Snyder to throw the jet, boat and the open cheque book at him.  

I will greet, and probably lose my head if we force Cousins to play on the tag.

Why would the patriots trade Jimmy G? Brady is year to year at this point, he's 39 years old for fucks sake. Belicheck rarely gives up anything good so if the Pats were willing to let him go I'd take that as a sign they weren't enamoured with him and therefore be extremely wary. 

As for FA, come to LA Alshon. Would also take Garçon. I think everyone in the league would take Berry but that's a bit less realistic. 

Archived