Penalty new rule??

red@pfd

Who you kidding on refs are doing this for the love of the game my arse. As 54 pointed out their doing it for their dough and that's it. Not having a go at refs because there's many a good one out there but there's also plenty of arrogant arseholes out there who feel once they put on their refs gear and have cards and a whistle that they have the right to talk to people like shite. Refs take a lot of stick from st least 50% of those in attendance but that's part and parcel of the job. If it wasn't 40 quid for the couple of hours they wouldn't do it a can guarantee they wouldn't do it for minimum wage that's for sure.

Well Iv done the refs course, and I was a ref for a number of years. I gave it up at the start of the season due to work/other commitments. I did it for the love of the game and to stay involved after I stopped playing. I had no intentions of moving up the grades, just being involved with amateur was for me. I enjoyed the banter with players and giving something back to the younger teams.
When I comment, yes I stick up for refs when I feel they have been unfairly got at, but I'll also agree when they are wrong as I did earlier in this post.
Would I have done it for nothing - no of course not (although I did help out charity matches and friendlies involving the teams I used to play for for free) but I know myself and a lot of other guys that are not 'in it for the money'
Yes there are arrogant refs out there, I still see them when they ref my teams games, but the majority are good especially when you speak to them before the game and with respect during it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Well Iv done the refs course, and I was a ref for a number of years. I gave it up at the start of the season due to work/other commitments. I did it for the love of the game and to stay involved after I stopped playing. I had no intentions of moving up the grades, just being involved with amateur was for me. I enjoyed the banter with players and giving something back to the younger teams.
When I comment, yes I stick up for refs when I feel they have been unfairly got at, but I'll also agree when they are wrong as I did earlier in this post.
Would I have done it for nothing - no of course not (although I did help out charity matches and friendlies involving the teams I used to play for for free) but I know myself and a lot of other guys that are not 'in it for the money'
Yes there are arrogant refs out there, I still see them when they ref my teams games, but the majority are good especially when you speak to them before the game and with respect during it.

I agree with you to an extent but a vast amount of refs could improve their approach when addressing players which would in turn see a lot more respect returned to them. From my personal experiences there have only been  the odd ref who has irked me to the extent that all respect goes out the window. But on the other hand I know that the vast majority of refs wouldn't bother their arse doing the job of it wasn't for the 40 notes for their work. They might love the game but not more than guys who spend their hard earned cash playing the game every week. Refs have got to expect criticism if they've made a balls up ..... cos I can guarantee one thing if they cost a team a big game through bad decisions on their part a can guarantee you they wouldn't be offering to give their dosh back for the f**k up. It's a tough business reffing al give u that pleslie I couldn't do it.

Who you kidding on refs are doing this for the love of the game my arse. As 54 pointed out their doing it for their dough and that's it. Not having a go at refs because there's many a good one out there but there's also plenty of arrogant arseholes out there who feel once they put on their refs gear and have cards and a whistle that they have the right to talk to people like shite. Refs take a lot of stick from st least 50% of those in attendance but that's part and parcel of the job. If it wasn't 40 quid for the couple of hours they wouldn't do it a can guarantee they wouldn't do it for minimum wage that's for sure.

But it's not really just two hours work is it? Factor in travelling time (plus fuel), getting there 45 minutes before kick off etc. They're at the park for about three hours not including the travel. Not really far off minimum wage.

31 minutes ago, energyzone said:

But it's not really just two hours work is it? Factor in travelling time (plus fuel), getting there 45 minutes before kick off etc. They're at the park for about three hours not including the travel. Not really far off minimum wage.

Even say 3 hours still 13 quid odd an hour which isn't far off double the minimum wage. Seen some refs do 2 and 3 games per day.  It's decent pay no doubt about it.

7 hours ago, energyzone said:

do you watch much amateur football mate, trust me when i say refs dont turn up anywhere near 45mins before KO, and as for travelling, a ref gets 3 games all at glasgow green or toryglen one after the other, no travelling needed at all

How often does that happen though? They SHOULD be there I think 30 minutes before and they're probably there 30 minutes after. Add travel to that and potentially time spent on discipline reports etc it'll be nearer 4 hours work.

If a referee is arriving less than half an hour before a game he/she should be reported.

5 minutes ago, NewBallsPlease said:

How often does that happen though? They SHOULD be there I think 30 minutes before and they're probably there 30 minutes after. Add travel to that and potentially time spent on discipline reports etc it'll be nearer 4 hours work.

If a referee is arriving less than half an hour before a game he/she should be reported.

why? what does a ref do when half the time teams arent fully there 30mins before KO

and what if a ref has a game at toryglen at 12 then a game at say glasgow green at 2? he cant be there half hour before hand,

as for the 3 games at toryglen etc, if the ref organiser etc is on the ball he'd try and assign refs to games based on location to minimise the chances of a ref failing to show up because of traffic issues or car trouble etc, stick a ref at toryglen for 12 and if he wants 3 games and there are 3 games in a row then let him have them, its a no brainer

Who cares what they get paid, they deserve a wage! If they didn't get paid there would be about 10 games, if that, country wide as there are very little that would do it voluntary, so wether it's minimum wage, £10 and hour or £13 an hour they deserve every penny, even if they are useless, coz without them we would be spending the day shopping way the mrs. Aye when I was involved with a club I slated some for 90 mins. After the game tho he was thanked and invited back to the pub for a drink

Doesn't work like that though (54). Most games in the same league start at the same time so IF a referee is doing several games a day and it does happen then it'll be for different leagues with different organisers.

Also referees SHOULD be doing every game justice and I fail to see how you can do 3 a day justice. Another reason referees performance should be reported, good bad or indifferent.

The better leagues will be encouraging refs to report late submission of teamlines and late kick offs although when teams arrive is down to them.

43 minutes ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

Who cares what they get paid, they deserve a wage! If they didn't get paid there would be about 10 games, if that, country wide as there are very little that would do it voluntary, so wether it's minimum wage, £10 and hour or £13 an hour they deserve every penny, even if they are useless, coz without them we would be spending the day shopping way the mrs. Aye when I was involved with a club I slated some for 90 mins. After the game tho he was thanked and invited back to the pub for a drink

Wasnt making a case for them gettinging paid any less tbh. Point I was making is they are paid to do a job and aren't doing it very well they should expect criticism. If your a spark and you f**k a rewiring up then u expect stick and to sort it. If your a bus driver and your route is constantly late it needs improving. Happens in all walks of life if a refs getting his dough you expect them to do their job properly. Albeit they won't get every decision spot on but the major ones that affect the outcomes of games should be the ones their getting right.

Wasnt making a case for them gettinging paid any less tbh. Point I was making is they are paid to do a job and aren't doing it very well they should expect criticism. If your a spark and you f**k a rewiring up then u expect stick and to sort it. If your a bus driver and your route is constantly late it needs improving. Happens in all walks of life if a refs getting his dough you expect them to do their job properly. Albeit they won't get every decision spot on but the major ones that affect the outcomes of games should be the ones their getting right.

Can't argue with most of that mate. I criticised a lot when it meant something to me. Now I just watch for the enjoyment so not as invested so maybe It just doesn't irk me as much

3 minutes ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

Can't argue with most of that mate. I criticised a lot when it meant something to me. Now I just watch for the enjoyment so not as invested so maybe It just doesn't irk me as much

I know a lot of refs and genuinely think they all try and make the best calls. Just seems the standard of refereeing has dropped somewhat in recent years IMO.

7 hours ago, Disco30 said:

I know a lot of refs and genuinely think they all try and make the best calls. Just seems the standard of refereeing has dropped somewhat in recent years IMO.

Deffo has dropped...handful of good refs in each major league imo with rest average - crap 

Archived