Penalty new rule??

red@pfd

Was at Hillview v Castlemilk dynamo yesterday.

Castlemilk were leading 2-1 when Hillview were awarded a penalty, boy steps up and slots the pen 2-2 ..................Nope! ref says that a player had encroached into the area when the ball was being struck, he then awards Castlemilk a freekick !! .Surely it is a re take ????

Ref was adamant that there is a new rule which deems the offence a freekick. Anyone aware of this rule??

Ruined the game as he then sent off a Hillview player for arguing about the decision.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extract from LOTG as follows ...

2. Infringements and sanctions

Once the referee has signalled for a penalty kick to be taken, the kick must be taken. If, before the ball is in play, one of the following occurs:

the player taking the penalty kick or a team-mate infringes the Laws of the Game:

• if the ball enters the goal, the kick is retaken

• if the ball does not enter the goal, the referee stops play and restarts with an indirect free kick

So, yes it seems that the referee was wrong. Looks like there has been some slight changes to LOTG with regard to retaking of penalty kicks but encroachment by an attacking player is still a retake (assuming that the ball enters the net).

Yeah new rule happened in our game. Boy dummied it at end of run up and it was a free kick to other team.

If i was Hillview id be on to the sunday league in a flash for an appeal and replay!!  Ref disnae know rules! Not a surprise!

Can imagine this ref checking everyone's studs, making sure all tape and under armour match strip colours, checks for players wearing jewellery, doesn't like players talking to him and loves the sound of his own whistle. He's obviously got a stick up his arse for trying to enforce this rule. Spoiled the game by the sounds of it.

11 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

IMG_1487018701.761279.jpg
This is taken from the FIFA handbook. So seems like the ref is wrong and there is no new law with regards to what happened. There is indeed a couple amendments to the penalty kick laws but none as major as stated.

I'm surprised how complicated this is - 12 different permutations for dealing with infringement at a penalty!

Generally speaking the knowledge of the Laws of the Game is absolutely shocking and I include many referees in this. It's not helped by the many, relatively small changes, every year.

There's normally one 'major' change (this season the potential that an obvious goal scoring opportunity is denied and no red card) that everyone knows and just about understands but there's others that nobody knows a thing about.

Generally speaking the knowledge of the Laws of the Game is absolutely shocking and I include many referees in this. It's not helped by the many, relatively small changes, every year.

There's normally one 'major' change (this season the potential that an obvious goal scoring opportunity is denied and no red card) that everyone knows and just about understands but there's others that nobody knows a thing about.

I agree. People come on here and rant and rave about referees making poor decisions (in this instance it seems justified) however in the majority of the cases it's the knowledge of the laws that is the issue! The FIFA handbook is extensive and no one would actually read it from cover to cover. Every law has sub sections to try and deal with every eventuality which is just causing confusion.

The ref in question has a Scottish cup tie in the next round. 

I'm sure there will be far many more mistakes made by the players in that game that we'll never hear about. The ref made a mistake, nobody died and I'm sure he won't make the same mistake again.

I'm sure there will be far many more mistakes made by the players in that game that we'll never hear about. The ref made a mistake, nobody died and I'm sure he won't make the same mistake again.

That's probably true aye, but the players aren't getting paid £40 for the match. Refs make mistakes and that's part and parcel of football. But there's making mistakes then making up rules where you disallow a goal which in turn ruins a game.

Archived